New to Saltwater

just1nk4ng

Hi names Justin im 16 years old

my dad bought me a 150 gallon tank and it comes with a wet/dry filter is it ok if i use the wet/dry filter for saltwater?
i need all the information i can get to start my new saltwater any suggestions or advice?
p.s. is a 150 gallon to big for a newbie like me?

tim_12

Hey Justin. Welcome to SWF.com! First you need to decide what you want to keep as far as fish and inverts and if you want to do a fish only setup (FO), Fish only with live rock (FOWLR) or a reef. Before you even set up your tank, you need to do a lot of research about each individual thing you plan to keep and its compatability with anything else that will be in the tank. A great starting point would be to read the Conscientious Marine Aquarist. Its packed full of information about how and why things are done in a marine aquarium, as well as tons of information on a lot of fish and inverts that are kept in a marine aquarium. That would be a good thing to do over your christmas break. For now, as I'm sure you'll take a few visits to your local fish store (LFS), please dont let them talk you into things they say you need, and always ask us here about the advice they have given you. LFS's are notorious for giving bad advice, or only half of the information you need to know about something, so you'll have to go back and spend more money. When I say research everything that has to do with your tank, it means everything. This means skimmers, wet dry, pumps, lights, sand, live rock, ext. This hobby is very demanding, expencive and requires a LOT OF PATIENCE!!! Lots of people average about $40 invested in their tank per gallon in even the simplest setups. 150 gallons is fine to start with as long as you do everything by the book. It simply means any mistakes you make will be much more costly than with a smaller setup. I dont mean to scare you, I just cant stress enough that this hobby requires a lot of research and patience. If you do your research properly, you should have tons and tons of questions. We'll do our best here to help answer them all for you. Best of luck Justin.
PS. Quarantine all your fish before you put them in your tank!!! Research that too!

heap

> p.s. is a 150 gallon to big for a newbie like me?
in matters of costs to fill the sucker w/ goodies...potentially.
that said, generally the larger the tank, you are less susceptible to killing your livestock w/ mistakes.

leftyblite

First off welcome to the boards. I agree with Tim. Research everything. That said since you live in Diamond Bar there are 2 relatively good and trustworthy fish stores only a little drive from you. Global Aquatics in Ontario, and Tongs Fish in Whittier(dont confuse this one with the one in Covina, people in Covina are just in it to sell and not help.) These 2 stores are people who are very knowledgabel and will to help beginners without selling them equipment that is not needed. This is an expensive hobby but the larger tanks can be a little forgiving compared to the small tanks. Before you buy anything, decide what you want to do with the tank, fish only, FOWLER(fish only with live rock) or reef. I'm currently also setting up a 150G tank as a FOWLER tank. I'm currently estimating approx $2000+ before any fish are added. Also please remember a very important word in this very addictive hobby...Patience. Please to not be afraid to ask any question you might have on this forum, there are no dumb questions in this hobby. All of us have probable had the same one at one time or another. Good Luck!!

djevack

Justin, I’ve recently setup a 150g tank this year. It was a FOWLR, now it is a reef tank. I’m going to describe my system to you, this may help you setup and maintain your tank.
For my Open System:
My tank isn't drilled so I bough a CRP overflow, it takes the water from the tank as water is pump back into the tank. From my overflow the water splits. Next to my tank is a metal stand with a 20g tank on top and 29g tank on the bottom of it. When the water splits about 800-850g goes into a 20g tank. In there is a ASM g3 protein skimmer(highly recommend) Also, and this is optional I have a 25w sterilizer that cycles the water in that tank. I drilled near the top of the tank to keep a constant water level. The remaining water 200-250g goes into the 29g. This is my refugium (highly recommended) In this tank I has a 4" live sand bed with Chaetomorpha algae. These particular algae will take the ammonia, nitrites, and phosphates out of your water. I have 60w light over this tank that runs in reverse of my main tank. So the light is on at night, this helps maintain the proper ph in the tank. This tank is also drilled near the top. Both tanks feed into a 30g return sump under the tank. When the water from the PVC pipes enters into the sump I made a mechanical filter screen. It basically acts like hang on behind filter(emperors) work. the water passes though a cartridge that I made. I replace the fliter material once a week before water changes. I also installed a bubble screen in the sump to keep micro bubbles from going into my tank. I did, just because my local water source is so horrible and my RO unit can’t remove all of the phosphates I installed a phosban reactor. I have a mag18 for the return water. The return water shots across front/bottom of the tank. Make sure you install a check valve so when your power goes off the return pimp doesn’t drain your tank

You may want or can fit everything under the tank. I did it this way for a few reasons. One, I didnt want all 220g in one spot. Second, it made it easier to get to stuff, thrid, it added alot more water to the tank, fourth, I already had thr tanks just laying around.
Now I’m sure not all of that made since, so what you don’t understand or need more advise on feel free to ask or email me. If you want I can take pictures of everything as well if that will help.
For additional water movement I have 5 maxi-jet 1200's. 3 of them where hidden into the rock work 2/3 of the way up in the tank. they shot toward the glass. I have 2 of them on the surface shooting up to help with gas exchange and bring Oxygen into the water. Plus you get a cool rippling effect with the lights.
As for maintenance make sure you do 15g weekly water changes. AND HAVE FUN