New To Swf Need Guidence

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2468115
How much LR are you planning on adding to the tank?
humas can be nasty little buggers and out of nowhere I got mine for the same reason I love the look.
There are a few other triggers that you can look at the niger trigger, cross hatch
if your not dead set on the eel there are a couple of different morays that can go in that mix
there are a few other things I have in mind but need to know the LR plans first.
Mike
does the emperor need a lot of rock? im basing it around him! maybe 70 lbs? or is that too much? or too little?
you guys tell me remember im new at this lol
so i dont know but if anybody has any suggestions that would be great thanks again

R

regina13

Take ccambell57's advice... There are a lot of helpful people here but, I must say that ccambell has been VERY VERY helpful when it comes to any info I need.
(not that everyone else isn't great
)
I would get the Emperor if you plan on upgrading...
They are beautiful fish, but you don't want to get it and keep it in to small of a tank.

hammerhed7

I would listen to CCampbell, his angels are incredible, and since I am a successful fish keeper, but have absolutely no luck with keeping angels despite ideal conditions it makes having to call CCampbell my idol even more difficult, as he has an entire tank full of healthy large angels

so heres some pictures of the tank
dimensions are 61 x 19 x 20
picture when it was freshwater

Pictures after cleaning and drying

what i have now as for accessories are
2-250watt heaters one for each side of the tank
a refractometer
40 lbs live carribean live sand
100 gallon oceanic salt
aquaclear 300 filter "i know this alone wont work" any suggestions on a efficient yet budget worthy filter for this tank can i use two filters? on canister one hang on?
some water conditioners
oddysea 250 powerhead w/ attachment filter
i plan on buying 50lbs of fine crushed coral and mixing with the LS together of course after i fill the tank up and have the correct salinity and temperature.
are power head filters good? can i put like 1 canister filter 1 hang on filter and 2 powerhead filters? is that enough flow and filtration?
and here's the updated list:
- Emperor angle fish
- Snowflake eel
- Niger trigger
- Spiny box puffer
- Foxface
- Undulate Triggerfish
- powder blue or brown tang
- 2 maroon clowns
is this ok? i can do without the clowns i changed the huma tigger and the dogface puffer and the naso!

CCampbell57 or anybody else can you check my list see if its ok and help on the tank set up thanks!!

crashbandicoot

You can keep an undulated in there but your going to feed it a lot of expensive fish if you do .

LGB in his sniper position wating for some poor sucker to come on his side of the tank . He bullied a humu twice his size as well as the dog face puffer that was 3 times his size

R

regina13

I would say NO to the undulated. They are just plain mean from what I have taken care of and herd. I wouldn't risk it.

snipe

for a fishonly ya dont need much flow. If ya want to do corals ya will want around 20 to 26 GPH to the size of tank. My 40 has somewhere like 28x the flow of the tank size.

- Emperor angle fish
- Snowflake eel
- Niger trigger
- Spiny box puffer
- Foxface
- blue throat Trigger
- powder blue or brown tang
- 2 maroon clowns
i will fill up tank today and do a system check run then add salt and sand will purchase some LR tomorrow or sunday will also post pictures up on sunday or monday.
Still accepting revisions on my list is it ok now?
is this a heavy bio load? will the clowns be ok?
thanks for all the help i really appreciate it

srfisher17

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2471919
I would take out the Undy and replace it with a Blue Throat trigger.
A blue throat would always be my 1st choice when picking a "semi-civilized trigger; they usually do well with most tankmates. IMO, damsels should never be put in with anything (unless what its being put in has fish that eat damsel-size fish; or flushes), ever, under any circumstances.

taken today! i filled the tank up on saturday and got the the temp and salt to where i want and added 50lbs of the crushed coral and 40lbs of the live carib. sand and added about 15lbs. of live rock. i also added live bacteria in the tank to speed up cycle and i got new actinic lights

Setup:
- 2 hang on filters
- 2 powerheads (250gph and 550gph) with attachable filter
- 2 250 watt heaters one on each side
i also have a 350gph canister filter rated for 150gal tanks, soon to arrive.
i will pick up some more LR and post my parameters soon
let me know how it looks guys and what i need thanks

A

azul1994

If you are going to have that large of a bioload i would recommend a very good skimmer.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by deliciouss_100
http:///forum/post/2478857
can i do without a skimmer or is it a must? if so whats a good hang on filter? thanks

No 100 % answer. The more the bio-load, the more you need a skimmer. Personally, I'd never have a SW tank without one; and I'll bet this view is shared by most folks who have one. One look and whiff of the crud they remove is pretty convincing.My favorite hang-on type is the AquaC Remora pro--very easy to use and does a fantastic job, a bit pricey, tho. I've said it before; but, the smell of new acrylic oozing from the Fed-Ex box, is one of the real thrills of this hobby!

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2479134
No 100 % answer. The more the bio-load, the more you need a skimmer. Personally, I'd never have a SW tank without one; and I'll bet this view is shared by most folks who have one. One look and whiff of the crud they remove is pretty convincing.My favorite hang-on type is the AquaC Remora pro--very easy to use and does a fantastic job, a bit pricey, tho. I've said it before; but, the smell of new acrylic oozing from the Fed-Ex box, is one of the real thrills of this hobby!
ok so i purchased a seaclone 100 w/maxi jet pump protein skimmer rated for up to 100 gallons should come tomorrow or thursday!!

my connections is giving me a good deal on all the fish i want but i need to buy all at once!!

can i put in:
- 2 yellow maroon clowns
- niger trigger
- blue throat trigger
- powder brown tang
- snowflake eel
- Australian harliquin tusk
- dog face puffer
all fish are in good health eating and in acclimation and quarantine waiting to get into my tank on friday.
is it ok? the tank has speed cycled with the bacteria boost i will have the skimmer and new filter by thursday. there is currently 2 damsels doing fine since yesterday eating hopefully to become food for the new comers.
well i know im going to get some negative responses and im prepared for them but let me know if it would work all these fish on friday. and what order do i add them into the tank?

mckevinfang

well i heard that those live bacteria boosters are pretty good my LFS recommends them they say you can add fish in, in 3 days!
but most people perfer the natural way and waiting for the tank to cycle with tossing in some raw shrimp. i dont know if you can add in all the fish in at once but if the fish are not that big yet and it is 100 gallon i dont see why not
but let other people with more experiance be the judge of that. nice list and tank hope everything works out for you

crashbandicoot

Your not going to have a lot of sucsess if you try and add all of those fish to your tank at once . Even in a well established tank That kind of bio load will triger a melt down and your tank will crash . Take your time and spend the extra money to do it right . You'll be happier in the end . You really should wait at least a few more weeks to make sure your (speed cycle)
Has completed . Then slowely add fish to your tank . You honestly shouldnt add more than one fish a month .

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2480257
well i heard that those live bacteria boosters are pretty good my LFS recommends them they say you can add fish in, in 3 days!
but most people perfer the natural way and waiting for the tank to cycle with tossing in some raw shrimp. i dont know if you can add in all the fish in at once but if the fish are not that big yet and it is 100 gallon i dont see why not
but let other people with more experiance be the judge of that. nice list and tank hope everything works out for you

thanks i hope it does work out!

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot

http:///forum/post/2480272
Your not going to have a lot of sucsess if you try and add all of those fish to your tank at once . Even in a well established tank That kind of bio load will triger a melt down and your tank will crash . Take your time and spend the extra money to do it right . You'll be happier in the end . You really should wait at least a few more weeks to make sure your (speed cycle)
Has completed . Then slowely add fish to your tank . You honestly shouldnt add more than one fish a month .
really that huge of a bioload can meltdown
i was going to get everything for $195.00 a hell of a deal but has to be as a bundle
i already had a spike 3.0 but it went down to 1.0. has anybody ever tried to put in more than 4 fish in at a time?
if i dont get it as a bundle its going to cost me around $380.00

does anybody else have a say?

dischirm

Yeah, I have not waited and put a whole bunch of fish in at one time. I ended up losing all the money I paid for the fish with and having them die and having to once again by more fish. I know it is not what you want to hear, but saltwater fish are very sensitive and do very badly with any ammonia and nitrite (and high nitrates)
Be patient!
You will end up losing less money buying the fish seperately than having them die and having to replace them.
Also I wouldnt go for a brown or powder blue tang. Both are Extremely sensitive and require experienced aquarists. They will get sick and introduce ick into your system if stressed and them you have major problems.
Stick with Yellow or Purple.