New to the Fish World

naclh2o nut

If that is the case then on the fish list. Your list of fish is fine, however if I am reading this right, then the amount would be wrong.
12 fish in a 55 gallon?
Also some one else may jump in here but I think RG are one per tank. (could be wrong here)
No matter what size tank to add 12 fish correctly, IMO no more then 1 fish per week in a new tank. So 12 fish over 12 weeks. Now you are into another 3 months. Once you know if and/or where you are moving then you can proceed to fill your livestock list.
IMO I would keep the stock list down, less creatures to move, limit your losses, easier on the bio filter if it gets disrupted, etc...
I just think you are setting yourself up for a big let down.

Update:
I know im all over the place, but here is my finished plans for my aquarium stand. This was to get a general idea on the size of it, so i figureed i would share it with you guys.
It has a 2x4 frame, with 1/2 plywood on the top of the bottem part of the frame (for supplys or sump), and 1/2 plywood on top to support the tank. The stand is 3 feet tall, and it will have 1/4 inch oak plywood for good looks on the frame. (also will have oak trim) Will have 2 doors on the front to access the sump)
Also not included is a oak hood for the tank. Here are my images.
And yes this is completely original, i just started using google sketchup 6 and my knowledge of constructing things, and came up with this. Please do not steal my ideas. I worked very hard on this and it turned out good.
But tell me what you think!

Ok i also have come up with a few questions.
1. Is a 10 Gallon Sump large enough for 50 gallons?
2. What water circulation system would be best for me?
3. Do i need a sump and a refrigendum?(spelling?)
3.5 What is the difference between the 2?
4. If i have a refrigendum(spelling) what kind of lights do i need, if any?
5. If i add a QT, will it be ok, to be under my stand in the space provided? With the proper lighting?
These are a few things that came to mind when i was working on my stand. I want to keep everything as hidden as possible. I also read with a sump i can keep my heaters and water purification stuff down with it, limiting the amout of equipment included. I would also put my power strips and stuff under there, mounted to the 2x4s to keep them hidden away.

oceansidefish

You can only have one royal grandmother in a tank. Also you can have only 2 clowns of one type so you will have to pic percs or ocellaris.

Originally Posted by chevyrulzs2010
http:///forum/post/2991899
Doing more research, this is what i have for fish, they seem to be the best for my needs, i didnt think i could put much more in 50 gallons, but this is stuff i like, i would like to get some more variety in color, but i didnt see much that i liked, besides damsels but i dont want to deal with the aggressive yet. Tell me what you think
Royal Gramma: x1 $9.99
Size: 1-2 inches
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Diet: Pellet, Flake, Brine
Origin: Caribbean
Acclimation Time: 3+ hours
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Coral Safe: Yes
Invertebrate Safe: Yes
False Percula Clownfish - Aquacultured: x2 $15.99
Size: 1-2 inches
Care Level: Easy
Diet: Pellet, Flake
Origin: Aquacultured
Acclimation Time: 2+ hours
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Coral Safe: Yes
Invertebrate Safe: Yes
Long Tentacle Anemone x1 $31.49
Size: 3-6 inches
Diet: Strong Light - Medium Flow
Origin: Indian Ocean
Acclimation Time: Temperature Acclimate
Duster Cluster $26.99
Size: Colony
Reef Safe: Yes
Diet: Phytoplankton
Origin: Caribbean
Acclimation Time: 1+ Hours
Maiden's Hair $20.99
Size: 3-4 inches
Reef Safe: Yes
Diet: Low current
Origin: Indian Ocean
Acclimation Time: Temperature Acclimate
Orange Fan Sponge $20.99
Size: 3-4 inches
20-55 Gallon Reef Package $94.99
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 10
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10
Brittle Starfish: 2
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 3
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20
Cleaner Clam: 2
Nassarius Snail - Group of 10: 1
Total Cost: $237.42
UPDATED FISH LIST!
I like the price better too.

:Bump:
Ok i also have come up with a few questions.
1. Is a 10 Gallon Sump large enough for 50 gallons?
2. What water circulation system would be best for me?
3. Do i need a sump and a refrigendum?(spelling?)
3.5 What is the difference between the 2?
4. If i have a refrigendum(spelling) what kind of lights do i need, if any?
5. If i add a QT, will it be ok, to be under my stand in the space provided? With the proper lighting?
These are a few things that came to mind when i was working on my stand. I want to keep everything as hidden as possible. I also read with a sump i can keep my heaters and water purification stuff down with it, limiting the amout of equipment included. I would also put my power strips and stuff under there, mounted to the 2x4s to keep them hidden away.

oceansidefish

I would also cut waaayyyy back on the number of hermits in the tank. I would go with about 6 max. They can be destructive in reef tanks knocking things over. They will also fight to the death for shells in that big of a group, they would in a small group too though. I would start with maybe 4 and about 10 snails at first. You want to make sure your clean up crew has something to clean up. I would also cut down to one brittle star if you really want one.

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/2997491
I would also cut waaayyyy back on the number of hermits in the tank. I would go with about 6 max. They can be destructive in reef tanks knocking things over. They will also fight to the death for shells in that big of a group, they would in a small group too though. I would start with maybe 4 and about 10 snails at first. You want to make sure your clean up crew has something to clean up. I would also cut down to one brittle star if you really want one.
Yes, this is just the 50-90 gallon clean up package off this website.

Ok, i have done some thinking and more research
and i think with my situation that i would be best doing a nano. Im thinking a 20-29 gallon nano tank with:
1 Bicolor Blenny
2 False Percula Clownfish - Aquacultured
1 Mandarin Dragonet - Green (when avalible to buy from SWF.com)
1 Bubble Tip Anemone
5 Scarlet Hermit Crab
10 Turbo/Astrea Snail
1 Cleaner Clam
1 Brittle Starfish
20 Lbs Live Sand
30 Lbs Live Rock
im also thinking that depending on what comes in on my live rock i will add some feather dusters, and maybe a madins hair plant for the alge feeders.
This seems to be a good start. Later in time i would add some corals and other inverts, such as a sponge. Do i have room for one or two more fish? If so i would like to add a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel (also would this be a good choise because it says they can be aggressive if single) or a Spanish Hogfish or 2 Neon Goby - Goldline Aquacultured
Of the 3 fish i listed what would be best to complete my list of fish ... if i have room?
Also thinking of adding an Anemone Crab - Caribbean in the mix, but will i need a second anemone to host it sperate from my clowns? If so i would get a Pink Tip Haitian Anemone.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

To add to my list iof things that i would like to include in my nano tank. I would need corals to complete my reef.
  • Zoanthids
  • Nephthea
  • Branching Montipora
    Sun Polyps
    Birds Nest

hlcroghan

Ok......mandarin is hard to keep in a small tank.......bad idea unless you do a load of serious research.........two anemones is a big no no unless you have a very very large tank and with one you need at least a 20 gallon........the SPS corals you mentioned will require expensive lighting but you could do mushrooms and softies and they will need much much less light and are very pretty as well. SPS are hard to keep as well. (small polyp stony)

posie77

I have had a saltwater tank for about 3-4 months and still don't even have anyfish, I am still deciding on a skimmer. I started off with a used 55 tank and got a very nice light for 200 that I have seen sold for 800-900 elsewhere and I get my live rock which is very nice for 4.98 a pound. I have made some great friends at the lfs and it has really saved me some money!! Like I said I don't even have fish yet but I love my tank and the few critters I have that came in on the rocks. What I'm trying to say is if you really love saltwater fish do it, it will be worth it but make sure your heart is in it cause it will be costly! Good luck!!

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/3004454
Ok......mandarin is hard to keep in a small tank.......bad idea unless you do a load of serious research.........two anemones is a big no no unless you have a very very large tank and with one you need at least a 20 gallon........the SPS corals you mentioned will require expensive lighting but you could do mushrooms and softies and they will need much much less light and are very pretty as well. SPS are hard to keep as well. (small polyp stony)
The mandarin was just for the color no big deal if i take him off. But i would really like to get a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel but im afraid it will be to aggressive with the clowns. What do you think on this? Also do i have room for more fish? If so what would be good tank mates with a clown and possibly a damsel?
On the coral im still throwing ideas around. I would start with the mushrooms ext but i hope to get some sps corals in the future. That is def. not a set list yet.
Originally Posted by posie77

http:///forum/post/3004468
I have had a saltwater tank for about 3-4 months and still don't even have anyfish, I am still deciding on a skimmer. I started off with a used 55 tank and got a very nice light for 200 that I have seen sold for 800-900 elsewhere and I get my live rock which is very nice for 4.98 a pound. I have made some great friends at the lfs and it has really saved me some money!! Like I said I don't even have fish yet but I love my tank and the few critters I have that came in on the rocks. What I'm trying to say is if you really love saltwater fish do it, it will be worth it but make sure your heart is in it cause it will be costly! Good luck!!
Lol well thats why im starting so small. I want a big 75+ tank but im not sure that i completely love it yet. I think i will but i want to make sure its something i want to make that commitment to.
I did although make my first purchase today! I spent $21.00 on Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies and a saltwater aquarium magizine. Lol not much of a purchase but im getting all the information i can. Also i work at PetSmart and we have a 29 gallon BioCube for 300 dollars, on sale for 279.00 + i get 15% employee discount + 7% sales tax. Bringing the total to 253.75 for a 29 gallon BioCube. I will get the specs on it sometime soon before it goes off sale. Is this a good deal you think? If it is i will have to hurry up and take it.

worrballer

I'd hesitate on getting a nano. Granted the 29 would be easier than some. But as your first tank I'd stick with a 55. Or even better a 40 breeder.
What I would do if I was starting up a new tank I'd find the one creature (fish, coral, invert) that I couldn't live without and build around that guy. Everything will fall into place once that idea is concrete.
Also if you are just testing the waters I'd start out with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) and you can always add corals later and upgrade lights if you get addicted like the rest of us.

Originally Posted by WorrBaller
http:///forum/post/3005127
I'd hesitate on getting a nano. Granted the 29 would be easier than some. But as your first tank I'd stick with a 55. Or even better a 40 breeder.
What I would do if I was starting up a new tank I'd find the one creature (fish, coral, invert) that I couldn't live without and build around that guy. Everything will fall into place once that idea is concrete.
Also if you are just testing the waters I'd start out with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) and you can always add corals later and upgrade lights if you get addicted like the rest of us.
DAMN YOU VILE PEOPLE

You guys keep making me change my mind. (Not a bad thing) I cant proceed when i change my mind 20 times in 1 week. I guess im still thinking that a nano would be better because i dont have the money to work with the big stuff, but im not opposed to the FOWLER system. I guess when people say fish only with live rock, the picture to me is a empty tank with a few fish and fake decor. I know that thats not really the case because of what is contained in the live rock. But i think i should continue with the nano thoughts so i can start small. But i think i will do a FOWLER tank for now. Reason being, is i could by what ever pumps and stuff that i need, bigger than needed for my nano, to allow for upgrade later. I think that starting a 55 or even a 40 will cost more then i can afford to spend right now. Because im just that guy that has to do it right i never go cheep. If i get a 55 gallon + i will buy the tank pre drilled and get the plumbing perfect. I spare no expense. Except that i will do the best i can with the money i have. If that means that i need to make a quality small tank for cheeper then a semi nice big tank, then i will go small. Im going to work tonight so on break i will get a picture of it with all the specs and show you guys.

vishnuborg

Hey! Welcome! I was new to the hobby at 11, and at 13 I am almost an expert, though I try not to give advice unless I have actually tried it out myself. You know, I don't have much money either, and it has been tough. My advice: try a fish only with a ton of live rock ( you will regret how little you plan to put in later) with peaceful fish first, then slowly add corals and over time upgrade your lighting. DO NOT ADD DAMSEL FISH. Another tip: though it is not as fun to start with a pre-set package (aka Biocube / Redsea), you should try to start with one of these packages. Try to buy the largest one possible, and tap water isn't as bad as it seems. I'd try not to use tap, but some dissolved substances in to water is not an entirely harmful thing, just check what is in your water. Try to use RO water, research shows that DI resins release neutrally charged molecules into the water in minute amounts, but generally purifies in more cases than it pollutes; sometimes the resins get naughty. You will experience a few losses in your tank for the first year, and since you are neither experienced or rich, before you add corals, it is a good idea to wait the full year before testing your water with a small frag. Do not buy nudibranches, or crabs, except for the reef hermit crab. One of the largest mistakes I have made was that when brown algae started to appear in my set up, I turned the lights off for a while. You should just let this algae go through its cycle, and eventually you will start to see more green algae than brown, and then none at all. Never add any chemicals you can not test for, and always keep a relatively high calcium. But in general, try not to add many chemicals to the water. Welcome to our hobby and art, I hope you delve into the wonderfully mystic realm of marine aquarism. Thank you, Vishnuborg. Oh, and by the way, skimmers aren't that great after your tank is established; try to maintain four watts of light in power florescents with actinics and a metal halide supplement light. Metal halides vary in their spectral output.

vishnuborg

I don't care where your from, but we reefers don't take well to being sworn at, and then laughed at. Open your eyes! Has any other noob cussed? There is etiquette, and taboo in every forum. Don't you want t make a good impression?

Originally Posted by vishnuborg
http:///forum/post/3005758
I don't care where your from, but we reefers don't take well to being sworn at, and then laughed at. Open your eyes! Has any other noob cussed? There is etiquette, and taboo in every forum. Don't you want t make a good impression?
Wow dude calm yourself. You read that totally wrong. Ever watch family guy?
"Damn you vile woman!"
i was saying that and laughing at it as a joke.