New to the hobby, new to the site. Few Questions.

mjda

As the title says, I'm new to the hobby as well as new to the site. In the several days I've been doing massive amounts of reading and viewing photos of other people's tanks. I'm just amazed by the pure and natural beauty of these saltwater aquariums. I do plan on starting my own in the future, once I'm certain I have enough information on it to do so. I don't want to just jump in and drown. That said, I would like a little bit of help from some of you who already have tanks established.
Though I'm fairly new I do have a good idea of what I would like to accomplish when I do start to build my own aquarium. Like many, I'm sure, my main interest is with the reef. I would like to create a reef with lots of bright colors. For me, the look of the reef is going to be what I enjoy the most. I would like to add fish as well, mainly for my small children to observe. The only fish that is an absolute must in my household would be clownfish. I haven't given much thought to the exact type yet, but most likely I'll be looking for at least a few false perculas.
Like I said before, I've done a lot of reading in the last several days. However, a lot of what I've read seems to contradict the last thing I read. Now, I understand that most of it is just opinion, and probably circumstantial. However, for the someone new to it all it's a bit overwhelming and often times confusing. What I would like is to just get a few really good books to read. Are there any particular ones any of you would suggest that would help me in my venture, keeping in mind what I would be trying to create? I'm thinking maybe a book just about reefs, then one about the fish, then one that combines both. With the number of books available it's hard to decide which ones to get. I assume you guys that have already been there could better help.
Also, I have a friend with a 55gal aquarium with custom built stand that she said she will give me. My question is, would this be a good size to start with for a beginner?
I would also like to ask if any of you have ever bought fish at *****? Unfortunately where I live that's the only place within 150 miles that deals with saltwater fish, and it's about 50 miles from my house.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as things progress and I begin reading a little more. Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me. :)

spanko

First of all Welcome To SWF.com. Lots of great people and information here.
The emphatic "bible" for this hobby in my opinion is The Concientious Aquarist by Bob Fenner. A little pricey but includes information on every aspect of what you need to know.
The 55 gal would be a perfect starter tank for you to get your reef feet wet with.
You will get a lot of mixed answers on the purchase of saltwate fish from *****. For the most part it seems like any that I have been to do not take very good care of their tanks and that to me is an indication that I probably don't want to shop there. That said I have seen some good deals there, and perhaps a little information from your local one on when they recieve orders in and getting something before they have a chance to put it in their tanks may be worth it.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by mjda
http:///forum/post/3122542
1 However, a lot of what I've read seems to contradict the last thing I read.
2 What I would like is to just get a few really good books to read. Are there any particular ones any of you would suggest that would help me in my venture, keeping in mind what I would be trying to create?
3Also, I have a friend with a 55gal aquarium with custom built stand that she said she will give me. My question is, would this be a good size to start with for a beginner?
4I would also like to ask if any of you have ever bought fish at *****?
5I'm sure I'll have more questions as things progress and I begin reading a little more. Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me. :)
1. LOL, welcome to the hobby. That my friend is the only consistent.
2. ya, there are several that are popular, "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John H. Tullock is a popular "beginer" book. Its hard cover, lots of pictures, and %95 is graspable at the first read. Some of it you will have to re-read a little because it gets technical. It was written in 97, so It is a tad outdated, but none of his info is bad, so its reliable. I personally would go for a used one off amazon for around $35. Chances are you will get one with notes scribbled on it, which is a good thing.
But honestly I found that forums and websites have more up to date info, and personal getting feed back is superior. I can find charts, and numbers just as easily online as in the book.
3. 55g is not a bad size at all.But just the same, check out craigs list for local listings. People sell stuff dirt cheap all the time. I saw a 300gallon tank for $300 two days ago.(it was originally $350). People sell $2,000-3,000 worth of equipment and livestock daily for $300-500. Go as large as you can afford, and with craigslist, you can afford alot bigger.
4. I have seen fish at *****, and they are not well taken care of. Having a trigger in a5g cubicle is a bad idea...you can see the poor fish swimming frantic. I noticed Ick on several of the fish, when I asked the attendant, he said he was giving freshwater baths daily. I asked him if he considered putting them in the same tank as the Cleaner shrimp...he didn't get it. I explained to his astonishment that they clean ick. ***** is not a place that knows about fish. They get stock with basic instructions from corporate, and that's it. edit: if your limited on places to shop, order right hear from SWF.com
5. and well ahve more answers. Welcome to the hobby.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3122547
The emphatic "bible" for this hobby in my opinion is The Concientious Aquarist by Bob Fenner. A little pricey but includes information on every aspect of what you need to know.
Another great book that comes with lots of recommendations. The only difference is the Natural Reef Aquariums I mentioned has better coverage on Reef aquariums.
However, since both books are so similar, no need to get both. One or the other will do.

mjda

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3122552
if your limited on places to shop, order right hear from SWF.com
A lot of what I've read insists that I only buy fish that I have a chance to observe first. I could make a trip to the Ft. Worth area, but that is a 3 hour drive and I'm concerned that any fish, or inverts, could die in that long of a drive. Would it be best for me to make the trip in the car, or just take a chance at ordering online? Just starting out the last thing I would want is a fish that is already in poor shape before it even went into the tank!

deejeff442

i live in fort worth and i wouldnt buy any fish from the lfs around here.
i get mine from a wholesaler in dallas.
if i were you i would go with the online fish.
get a qt up and running,with the arive alive deal and a qt thats the way to go.

noah's nemo

Start out with hardy fish first.I think fish would survive a 3 hour drive,although that is a ways to go.I never ordered online because of what you mentioned above,many do however.I like to see the fish first,also i support my LFS.Good luck,have fun,GO SLOW, and welcome.

meowzer

I buy all my fish and corals from this site....They have excellent stuff, and excellent customer service.
I have NO lfs, the closest one is 90 miles away, and it is a small store that never has much. SOOOO I almost never get to see what I am purchasing in person. If you have to buy online...swf is the way to go...IMO

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3122590
A lot of what I've read insists that I only buy fish that I have a chance to observe first....starting out the last thing I would want is a fish that is already in poor shape before it even went into the tank!

SWF.com has an excellent reputation. Also they have a great guarantee on all their Livestock. look to the left of your screen and read the 15 day guarantee.
<

[hr]

rondo

Unfortunately I'm stuck with just a ***** as well. Although I have to say I have had good luck there. They have a few people in the fish dept. that seem to know what they are doing. I have also bought from SWF and have always gotten good fish and corals. I guess what i'm saying is don't judge your ***** by the name, talk to a few of the associates working with the fish and see how they are. Good Luck.

flower

Welcome to the hobby! ***** is great for your fish nets, power heads, buffers and salt mix kind of stuff and the will order anything else you need that they don't have in stock..
Order online for your live stock and corals. You will have a better variety and healthier critters.
When you are ready to start adding critters ...these books will help you choose wisely so everything gets along with each other and you know what to feed and the adult size. The coral book helps with placement in the tank and general info.

flower

PART #2
I posted my limit of pictures I guess...here is the inside page of the coral book.
Also Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies is an easy to understand beginner book. Everything is in plain easy to understand English.
The conscientious Marine Aquarist is excellent..I think its the book Spanko recommended as well. Yep, same one...good book.

mjda

After some reading, I've come up with another question. I've read, in several places, that the cleaning crew should be the first thing in the tank after cycling. My question is, how do you determine how much of a cleaning crew you need to start out with?

king_neptune

do a little, then add more as you see fit.
no need to do tons of animals that will simply pollute and fight for the dwindling food supplies.
i myself started with 4 hermits, a sally light foot, and 2 emeralds for my initial CuC on my 125DT.
I got a lawn more blenny and an arrow crab arriving tomorrow to clean up the algae and bristle worms. also I got 30 assorted snails as well.
too many snails for my tank, but I also got a 29g nano in the works, so I will transfer a bunch to that tank in the comming months.

deejeff442

really doesnt matter if you put the cuc or the fish in first.
fowlr tanks usually dont have a cuc .
i do put the cuc in first to take care of the new tank algea bloom.
but it doesnt have anything to do with the water quality.

mjda

More reading leads to yet another question. I do plan on using live rock in my system. The question is, if I use live rock is there still a need for any kind of filter? I've read that using live rock with powerheads replaces the need for a wet/dry filter. Is that correct?

J

jetskiking

http:///forum/post/3123402
More reading leads to yet another question. I do plan on using live rock in my system. The question is, if I use live rock is there still a need for any kind of filter? I've read that using live rock with powerheads replaces the need for a wet/dry filter. Is that correct?
Yes and no. you do want a means of nutrient export such as a skimmer, fuge or tons of water changes. The wet dry is for biological filtration mainly having to do with the nitrification process and the live rock will take care of that. So simply the answer is No you do not need a wet dry or mechanical filtration but you will want some other types of filtration to help convert other nutrients.

mjda

Well, I'll likely be adding a skimmer. I was mainly talking about any other kind of mechanical filter.
Thanks for all the replies so far guys and gals! It's really good to know I have someone to get help from since I don't have a LFS or personally know anyone else in the hobby to talk to. :)