new to the saltwater scene

abrand

I have just set up my first saltwater tank and decided to start slow with a 20 gallon tank that I had from when I experimented with freshwater fish. I decided to just do fish and live rock with such a small tank but was considering buying a nano tank in addition to the one that is set up just to further the experience with a reef before I go all out with a large tank because I am positive I will become addicted. Any suggestions if this is a good idea to experimented with the two tank or bad idea? Thanks in advance for inputs, I am learning so much from this site, thanks to all the great members for helping newcomers like myself!!
Cheers

socal57che

Just keep in mind that the less water you have the less room you have for mistakes (for lack of a better word) and livestock. It's easy to overstock so research your purchases beforehand for compatability with all your existing livestock and tank size, which will be severely limited at 20g. Make sure you have your own test kits and get comfortable with them. This is how your tank communicates with you.
Definitely read throught the stickied threads at the top of this forum. There is a TON of great info there.
Welcome to SWF!

culp

going with two tanks should work out just fine for you. and if you'll like just about every one else on SWF.com you will become vary addicted to this hobby and end up broke just like me

probably the best starter fish for people new to Saltwater are also the fish that you are most likely to see at a LFS. like Banggai Carndinals, Pajama Cardinals, False Percula Clownfish, True Percula Clownfish, and Green Chromis.
remember to stay away from Damsels! they get vary aggressive and can kill a lot of fish, plus they are hard to catch.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by abrand
http:///forum/post/2876278
I have just set up my first saltwater tank and decided to start slow with a 20 gallon tank that I had from when I experimented with freshwater fish. I decided to just do fish and live rock with such a small tank but was considering buying a nano tank in addition to the one that is set up just to further the experience with a reef before I go all out with a large tank because I am positive I will become addicted. Any suggestions if this is a good idea to experimented with the two tank or bad idea? Thanks in advance for inputs, I am learning so much from this site, thanks to all the great members for helping newcomers like myself!!
Cheers
definitely check out the nano section...

abrand

thank you very much for the helpful advise.. I am trying my hardest to read everything on these message boards but that is an endless task.