new to the sump world

2quills

Flakes and pellets are going to be your biggest cause for the clowdy water. I would recommend better frozen foods. In the mean time running a filter sock on your drain will help clear up the clowdyness. And defintely would remove the sand from the return chamber because that could also be bad for your pump in the long run if any is getting in there.

2quills

Yes it will help catch the doo doo and stuff. Need to clean them out regularly, even daily if possible. The best skimmer would be one that fits your budget. SWC and Super reef octopuss skimmers are good brands for the price. The cone skimmers are a popular choice these days.

nikesb

swc and reef octopus are far greater than the marineland skimmers. also look into avast marine skimmers

nikesb

ask that guy about the mod for the pump. it will GREATLY increase your skimmate. the guys name is luke also

nikesb

the swc is better than that. plus if you wish to upgrade it by using the meshmod and larger skimmate cup, you can do that and itll be by far stronger

S

saxman

Definitely don't get the Marineland...it's REALLY picky about water level.
I'd go for the SWC, which I'm told is a Canadian knock-off of the Bubble King. I'm a huge fan of cone skimmers, and the price is right on SWC.

elvishpants

ever since i added the sump...
i have all this little micro particles floating around in the tank, makes everything look so dirty..
how do i clean this up

elvishpants

also,
now i have green hair algae growing also,
i have a phostpate reactor coming in the week and i have a lawnmower fish in there
would a uv sterilizer work too

S

saxman

Are they really particulates or are they microbubbles?
If the pump bay of your sump has bubbles in it from the water flowing into it, or from the inflow. Once they make it to the pump bay, they're "shredded" by the pump impeller.
As mentioned, a filter sock on the inflow as well as a sponge where the water goes over (or under) the baffle leading to the pump bay should help. If it's blowing detritus, then you'll want to adjust the direction of your flow, altho a sock should help filter this out and after awhile, this should get the tank cleaner.
A UV unit may help with algae spores, or any suspended critters, but that's about it.

elvishpants

no they are particulates...
i think its bits and pieces of dead algae from the dieing green hair algae and the red slim i treated for 1 1/2 ago
i got 2 blue pad btw the baffles after the return to the sump....
they are dirty .. the go from blue to brown in one day.. so i am clean then daily .. should i be?

drewsbrews

My sump is designed the same as his and I don't have any issues. My experience was when I have enough light for the Chaetomorpha to grow it renders the skimmer useless. I took out the reef octopus skimmer I bought because there was little to skim anymore. An expensive lesson, since it's sitting in my closet unsused now.
I have 2 18watt 6500k spiral compact flood lights (spiral bulb inside a flood bulb "75watt equivalent") over a very small refugium section (8x12x10) and the bulbs are only an inch or so away from the surface. I grow chaeto so fast I haveto toss a huge clump every 2 weeks, and have had undetectable nitrates since the first 2 weeks. For your setup I'd suggest 3 to 4 bulbs and much closer to the water than you have now.
I'd nearly guarantee the sand in the return is causing the majority of the cloudyness. When the water level gets low in the return side the water running down the baffel will shoot straight into that sand and stirr it up. My water level in the return section goes down several inches in a day.. It's due to evaporation. I haveto top off a gallon a day (65gal display, 20gal sump) That spot should be the ONLY area where the water level changes. if it changes anywhere else for more than a minute or so there is a problem.
As long as you can turn off the pump and the sump doesn't overflow; the baffel height is fine.

S

saxman

Did I miss something? I don't recall anyone saying there was sand in the return or that the baffles were too high...

elvishpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews http:///forum/thread/385443/new-to-the-sump-world/20#post_3382608
My sump is designed the same as his and I don't have any issues. My experience was when I have enough light for the Chaetomorpha to grow it renders the skimmer useless. I took out the reef octopus skimmer I bought because there was little to skim anymore. An expensive lesson, since it's sitting in my closet unsused now.
I have 2 18watt 6500k spiral compact flood lights (spiral bulb inside a flood bulb "75watt equivalent") over a very small refugium section (8x12x10) and the bulbs are only an inch or so away from the surface. I grow chaeto so fast I haveto toss a huge clump every 2 weeks, and have had undetectable nitrates since the first 2 weeks. For your setup I'd suggest 3 to 4 bulbs and much closer to the water than you have now.
I'd nearly guarantee the sand in the return is causing the majority of the cloudyness. When the water level gets low in the return side the water running down the baffel will shoot straight into that sand and stirr it up. My water level in the return section goes down several inches in a day.. It's due to evaporation. I haveto top off a gallon a day (65gal display, 20gal sump) That spot should be the ONLY area where the water level changes. if it changes anywhere else for more than a minute or so there is a problem.
As long as you can turn off the pump and the sump doesn't overflow; the baffel height is fine.
how do you thing this will work.. lights about a little less that 1 1/2 above the water

only problem i got is i got my return pump hard piped and cant get the pump out to remove the sand... any ideas how to get it out without cutting my pipe
but my big concern is about my lights... what do u think