new to the sump world

drewsbrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/385443/new-to-the-sump-world/20#post_3382610
Did I miss something? I don't recall anyone saying there was sand in the return or that the baffles were too high...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385443/new-to-the-sump-world#post_3380386
... Is that sand in the return chamber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvishPants
http:///forum/thread/385443/new-to-the-sump-world#post_3380394
yes it is sand... to keep the noise down
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB1
http:///forum/thread/385443/new-to-the-sump-world#post_3380411
Your baffles look a little high in the sump also...
----
In the picture you are losing most of the light around the bulb before it gets a chance to enter the water. Reflectors are needed.
I used part # LBP18R40/65K (Bright Effects 18watt 6500k flood). They had them at my local big hardware store.
Keep in mind that once it starts growing well the refigium will probably cease to look pretty. Mine is a large brick of chaeto.
You need to be able to get your pump out to clean it. It will probably fill with gunk in a few months.. Also it will eventually fail on you as all mechanical things do. Folks that use hard line seem to use couplings so they can detatch parts. Sofar I've been using tubing and barbs myself.

drewsbrews

Thanks Meowzer, I was hesitant to post links to other stores.
Kelvins (The "k" value) is essentially the color of the light. From what I hear macro algaes are very accepting to a range 3000k to 10000k, but many seem to think 5000k to 6500k is best for max growth, so I followed suit. I can't say if it's realy true or not because I havn't tested vs other color bulbs. I just know it works for me.
"Lumen" is a measure of visible light output. The higher k, for example 10000k, is less visible to humans (lower lumen output) than a lower kelvin bulb, such as 3000k. This is irrelevant to our needs because our eyes have little to nothing in common with algae. Essentialy both bulbs (same design and wattage) will put out a similar amount of light.
Looks like you are on your way to a thriving 'fuge. What are the specs on the bulbs?
You will see even better growth if you elevate the algae closer to the lights. But once it starts to take off it will grow in all directions and get closer to the light anyway.
I caught myself not following my own suggestions.. I had recently setup a 15gal with a 10gal fuge. With only a single 13watt flood bulb, the chaeto was doing poorly. Last night I tested my nitrates to 20+! I went out and picked up an outdoor fluorescent security fixture from lowes. It uses a 65watt 6500k power compact bulb. I hope it will do the job

elvishpants

they are 15w compact fluorescents with 5000k (i was told they equal the output of 75W flood)
hopefully now the algae will take off growing

drewsbrews

I'm geeking out again, Ignore if you wish,
Maximum usage of your light can be had if the algae is placed in the center of the fuge, then shim the two outside socket bases so the bulbs on either side point inward a little towards the center.

deejeff442

they look pretty white to be 5000k.just keep an eye on the macro so it do burn.you are probably ok though.kinda wasting electric on 4 bulbs .i would think 2 would be plenty.i just run one in my 75 sump.

drewsbrews

Algae is photosynthetic just like corals. Since algae is cheap, fairly hardy, and often regarded as a potential nusance it gets pushed to the bottom of the list of needs to fulfill. But if you are using it as your primary nutrient export I'd say it's pretty high priporty. You want it to grow as fast as the furtilizer is made available (nitrates and other polutants). Essentially I have 2 of your bulbs over a fuge section that is 1/3 the size. The only thing that "burns" the chaeto is when the clump gets so big it pushes itself out of the water and starts to dry out (pruning lazyness on my part).
Since your algae isn't big yet, and if the lights are still just pointed straight down (vs angling toward the center), the far 1 or 2 lights arn't the most useful right now. You can get by unscrewing one or two bulbs for the time being. Then later you can maybe split the clumps and have all the lights on. That's why hobbys are fun, you can tweak as you see fit.