New user- Was going FW, but now want SW

badpacket

Hi All,
I am a new tank owner, and had been initially interested in starting a fW because it sounds like it is easier for beginners. However, every time I go to the fish stores, I always end up drooling over the SW tanks.
I currently have an 29g with an Eclipse 3 setup.
I would really like to have a tank that is primarily one of inverts, with several fish only. I really like the 'things' like anenomes, crabs, snails, mushrooms etc.
Until I read more, and get my tank stand finished, I'm hoping to get some feedback on what else I'd really need. I was looking at the nano-tanks also, before I made the decision to seriously consider the SW route. Many of the nano folks seem to espouse the point that less is more when it comes to equipment. If I have only several fish, and more of the bottom dwellers, does this still hold true for a 29g tank?
Any suggestions on what I might need equipment-wise for such a tank? I am assuming that lighting plays a much bigger part in SW tanks than in FW. I really like starfish, are any compatible with corals/mushrooms?
Sorry for the truely newbie-ish questions.
thanks in advance.

badpacket

Thanks, look forward to it. BTW, I've had the exact same thing happen to me using IE, hit the some weird key combo on the left side and the entire page reloads, without everything you've type....
thanks.

jake22

If you want anenomes and corals like mushrooms you need strong lighting. I think it is 3 to 5 wattss per gallon as the minumum but i am not 100% sure. What type of fish are you interested in? Some fish that might do well in that tank are clowns, dwarf angels, gobies, royal grammas, and wrasses.

badpacket

Jake22,
thanks, that is what I am now expecting to have to deal with, very good lighting. The fish are actually going to be secondary to the inverts and corals I'd like to focus on.
As I only have an Eclipse 3 at the moment, are things such as a protein skimmer necessary? Any idea if the Eclipse 3 will be able to give out enough light?
And, I've read several posts from people who seem to think they are not always required. Is there a common consensus on their necessity?
thanks,

striker

I don't think an eclipse 3 will give you sufficient lighting for anemones. What type of lighting is it and how many watts does it give out? If you are making it a reef tank then lighting will be extremely important in the overall health to the animals. If you stick with only mushrooms, inverts and fish I believe an eclipse 3 might be ok. Need to know the specifics though before giving a definite answer.
A protein skimmer is very important during the first few months of establishing a tank but as a tank begins to mature (6-8 months, depending on the tank) some hobbyists will choose to remove their skimmer. Larger systems and those with small bio-loads can cope better with fluctuations in water chemistry and can IMO do without one. I used one regularly for the first 7 months but now only use it for water movement. I recommend one to anyone starting out a new tank or anyone with a high
bio-load. Good luck.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Bad, the best advise that I can give anyone who is brand new to the hobby or someone like yourself, who is just beginning the exploration, is to be patient. In my exp, one of the best parts of the hobby is learning, and it takes time and patience to do that. You've come to great place to learn and get help. Before you make any decision, honestly, I'd spend a few weeks with us reading and asking questions. Also, get some good hobby books. A very good book for beginners is Bob Fenner's, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. Additionally, there are good hobby books just on nano setups. Use Amazon.com to browse thru hobby books to decide what would be best for you.
Believe me, as excited as you are now to "get started", you won't regret taking the time to learn as much as you can. This can be an expensive hobby. And the easiest way to throw money away is to jump and buy expensive stuff before you’re able to make informed decisions about what you want.
A 29 gal tank will not support many marine fish. Unlike the FW hobby, marine fish need their space. You can put a few very small fish in a 29 gal. Nothing more than small fish, however. Additionally, the Eclipse will support a lightly loaded FO tank or a few hardy inverts. The lighting in the Eclipse is inadequate to support live rock, desirable algae and most corals. I believe, however, there is a retro kit that you can get for the Eclipse to replace the standard normal output lights with power compacts, so you may want to look into that.
Visit us in the Reef Tank if you are still thinking about a nano reef. Just because you’re new, doesn’t mean you can’t venture out into the deep waters….I mean visit the other forums.
Welcome!

nm reef

Like sammy I too have been working way too much....but I'd also like to welcome you to the board. Beth and golfish have posted good responses so I'll not add much in the way of help. The link below is a great source of general info and may be of assistance as you develope your new reef....best of luck...and keep us posted as your system developes.
reefkeeping 101

badpacket

Thanks for the replies all, I'm seriously trying to keep credit card in check...
I was thinking of probably a Royal Gramma, and one or two others at most.
I've gotten my copy of Paletta's New Aquarium book, though maybe I should have gotten the Conscientious Aquarist.
Have read tons so, far and realize there is tons I need to read more. The Anenomes are out for now, I'm sure it would fall victim to my noobi-ness.
I also found the Eclipse3 upgrade kit, but it doesn look like it puts much more than ~60watts. I think that falls below requirements for a tall tank like my current 29g. So, while I'm still waiting on final size of my stand (somewhere around 36x16-18, I'm just purusing sites like BigAls. I'm thinking I should look at a breeding or short tank if possible. The shallower the tank, the less light I need to penetrate to the bottom, correct? Also, the wider the better?
Well, looks like I'm off to start looking at more tanks and hoods. Wow, can't believe they charge so much for a canopy and light hardware! I'll have to see if I can find some plans for making my own custom one.
thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Oh, of course one more question...
Since I will be making my own canopy most likely now, found these guys and they make some sense : http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
Would their 2x55watt ( Item # 30552) supply enough for a standard 30x12 or so aquarium?
What if the depth is ~ 19", like my current 29g?
thanks again.