New virus today

gill again68

Well I was surfing the net when bang I got another "virus protection warning" scam virus. It locked my whole computer down. Even put a nice full background on my main screen that warned me about virus protection and how they steal identities and so forth. So I went to my trusty malware file that I have on my thumb drive and tried to load that and it wouldn't let me load it. No it wont let you do system restore points either.
This is what I did. Now I am running Windows 7 so you may have to try something different. I turned the computer off. Turned it back on and hit the F2 key. It then ask you if you want to run a program that will repair Windows if it wont start properly. I noticed on this fix button that it mentioned system restore would be used. So I tried that and wooohooo it wiped it out. Now I went and purchased the full version of the Malware protection and have it running in the background.
Not selling Malware here just telling you folks that this is the second time I have gotten this similar virus and its a PITA.
I also do not take any responsibility if you tinker with your computer and mess it up. I am just saying that this worked for me and I didnt have to pay anyone to fix it so maybe it will work for you.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339226
Well I was surfing the net when bang I got another "virus protection warning" scam virus. It locked my whole computer down. Even put a nice full background on my main screen that warned me about virus protection and how they steal identities and so forth. So I went to my trusty malware file that I have on my thumb drive and tried to load that and it wouldn't let me load it. No it wont let you do system restore points either.
This is what I did. Now I am running Windows 7 so you may have to try something different. I turned the computer off. Turned it back on and hit the F2 key. It then ask you if you want to run a program that will repair Windows if it wont start properly. I noticed on this fix button that it mentioned system restore would be used. So I tried that and wooohooo it wiped it out. Now I went and purchased the full version of the Malware protection and have it running in the background.
Not selling Malware here just telling you folks that this is the second time I have gotten this similar virus and its a PITA.
I also do not take any responsibility if you tinker with your computer and mess it up. I am just saying that this worked for me and I didnt have to pay anyone to fix it so maybe it will work for you.
Question is, where were you surfing. Hitting those web sites that "show more than the imagination" will give you more than a virus.

reefraff

The wife had it on the lap top computer. Not sure where she got it but she does play a lot of those on line games from Iwin that has something running in the background. Removed that after I restored her computer.

mrdc

I got that one not too long ago too. I was actually searching for something clean and I still got it.

reefraff

I have nortons through my internet provider and it screens search results which is a pretty cool feature.

flower

All you ever had to do was turn off the computer and restart, you didn't download anything. It was a BS warning to get you to buy their product to save you from from folks like them. If you download or open something..THEN you can worry. I was always told that you can't catch a virus by looking.

gill again68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339315

All you ever had to do was turn off the computer and restart, you didn't download anything. It was a BS warning to get you to buy their product to save you from from folks like them. If you download or open something..THEN you can worry. I was always told that you can't catch a virus by looking.
Not in this case Flower. There are some spyware/virus programs that actually bury down into the registry and keep you from controlling your programs and such. You are correct that they do want you to buy their product. Thats why they make them so hard to bypass. Most people end up having to take the computer to the repair shop. I just am too cheap so I learn to fix it myself.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339315

Not in this case Flower. There are some spyware/virus programs that actually bury down into the registry and keep you from controlling your programs and such. You are correct that they do want you to buy their product. Thats why they make them so hard to bypass. Most people end up having to take the computer to the repair shop. I just am too cheap so I learn to fix it myself.

Interesting, I have had some... even marine fish sites that I couldn't escape from. I hold the control- Alt- Delete buttons down all at once and bring up manager and tell it to close the program and it always does, even when it says it isn't responding, I say close it anyway..

reefraff

A site locking you in is different than this. I had a different version last year. This one even placed a shortcut on the desk top.

gill again68

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339351
A site locking you in is different than this. I had a different version last year. This one even placed a shortcut on the desk top.
Yup, a short cut on the desk top and it ran in the system tray. It wont allow you to open task manager or internet. The only program that can run or connect to the internet is the virus/spyware program. So you have to get creative in how you get rid of it. As far as why someone would do this, I am certain that some innocent people are being ripped off. What would I like to do. I would like to be in a room with the individuals for about 72 hours. The rest is to incriminating to tell!

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339357
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339351
Yup, a short cut on the desk top and it ran in the system tray. It wont allow you to open task manager or internet. The only program that can run or connect to the internet is the virus/spyware program. So you have to get creative in how you get rid of it. As far as why someone would do this, I am certain that some innocent people are being ripped off. What would I like to do. I would like to be in a room with the individuals for about 72 hours. The rest is to incriminating to tell!

Both times i've seen this kind of virus I fixed the machines by starting in safe mode and using restore.

ironeagle2006

My mother got hit with this also. For me it would be this. Take the Head Programmer of that company of that place. Tie him to a Tractor of a Tractor Trailer cobo with his Head at 5th wheel level. Then line up in front of fixed 5th wheel pull up 200 feet put it in HIGH reverse and FLOOR IT. I think people like this would get the message since one of their own would see his Head being used as Greaase on a 5th wheel of a truck.

bionicarm

Don't want viruses? Buy a Mac. Not that they are better than a PC. Just because none of these virus creators want to bother making viruses for that OS. Not enough users to upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/382541/new-virus-today#post_3339226
Hey buddy,
I seem to get these viruses a lot. (no not surfing the naughty sites xD) but let me tell you here is the best three program combo ever. First off while your computer is virus free search for a program called MalwareBytes' Antimalware. Once you find it download it. Its a free program for the basic, if you want the advanced you must pay, but the basic is all you need. Secondly search for a program called RKill. These viruses often will shut down any program that is harmful to itself, so MalwareBytes will not run, as will other programs such as the internet. RKill is looks to the virus as if you are starting the internet, and before it shuts it down, the viruses processes are stopped so you can run the programs it was blocking. Thus you will be able to run MalwareBytes and remove the files. The third program i run is Spybot Search and Destroy, which is another free antispyware program that can immunize your computer from known malware threats.
Thought i would share this information with you, im not selling any software, infact all the software listed is free. (Oh btw im not dead, just had to get away from SWF for a while, college takes all my money and cant afford it so tried to quit thinking about it. We see how long that lasted, i got the itch again.)