Newbe question..

saltyfish

I"m been learning all kinds of stuff about how to do this but I have not heard weather you need to have an air line in the water to keep the Oxygen in the water.
So do you ???
I know that I might get laughed at for that question but I was thinking that when you use LR and LS that it might not be nessary.

kev

You don't need to use an airstone with SW. You just need to make sure that you have plenty of water circulation. A few powerheads will do the job, as will any type of power filter. :D

T

thomas712

It's not an entirely bad idea, heck I still know someone that likes to use a bubble wand, clogs up rutinely but they still use it.
If you have a protien skimmer this super saturates the water with oxegen. Most of us also use powerheads with at least one pointed at the top of the water colum to keep it moving and help with the oxygen exchange, many of these will have a small piece of tubing that you can control the amount of bubbles that it produces, I personally have this opition but do not use it.
The only time that I would put an airstone in the tank is during a power outage, using a battery operated airpump, which I do keep on hand.
Thomas