Newbie help Please

acurnew

Below is what I have from the LFS recommendations.
45 bow
2-Marineland Penguin 350 bio-wheel filters
2-30 watt heaters
Maxi-Jet 900
Coralife delux series 36" with "2" 96 watt each white light and 2 Antic 03 Blue lights with reflector.
40 lbs LS
50 lbs Fiji LR ( bought from SWF )
2 yellow tail Damsel
1 green Chromas.
My tank has been running for 3 weeks.
Temp 81
Salinity 1.023
PH 8.3
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30
It now has a lot of brown alage all over the LR and in the LS. I see brown hair alage moving/blowing in the LS. ( pics attached )
1. Do you feel I may be close to cycle?
2. When can I add a clean up crrew and what would you recomend?
3. When would I do a water change?
Thank you in advance for your time help and support.

srfisher17

b bauer is right on about the diatoms being normal. The readings you have say you've probably cycled. Did you see an ammonia spike, then a nitrite reading before the nitrates showed up? You might want to ask around; but, IMO, the day will come when you wish those damsels weren't in there ---you might want to get them out now. I sure wish stores would stop selling fish for cycling purposes; a dead shrimp works just a well and doesn't terrorize new fish like the damsels will....you seem to have a good start; good luck!

kclester

another samll problem i ran into was haveing the 2 samll heaters if i were u i would upgrade to 1 bigger one it saves tank and plug-in space

acurnew

Please note I am new and have been doing a lot of reading here in the last three weeks... I sure wish the LFS would also stop as they make it all sound so easy and just want to sell... Yes I have read about damsels and now wish I didn't have them. I asked the LFS If I could return them and they will let me know... I said for free... I just don't want them... Instead they tried to sell me my clowns and said it as ok to put in tank now. After reading here I told them no...
I have to admit I used my well water to fill the tank as I did not know better. I will be using RO for changes... I also did not check for the ammonia spike so I do not know if it happened... I have checked the levels every other day since 8/20/07 and they have been the same as above...
I do not plan to add any more fish at the moment till I get the advice from here but after reading thought I might be able to add a cleaning crew...
I will remove the damsels prior to adding any fish...
Thanks for helping the newbie. I have learned a valueable lesson:)

tropills

Originally Posted by kclester
another samll problem i ran into was haveing the 2 samll heaters if i were u i would upgrade to 1 bigger one it saves tank and plug-in space

what if the one big one craps out then they have no heater at all.. I run 2 just as a safe guard if one dies.

srfisher17

QUOTE:"Thanks for helping the newbie. I have learned a valueable lesson":)
This hobby is still in its infancy, we're all new; and if we're not willing to listen & learn, like you're doing, we'll all be left behind. Good Luck and get ready to refinance everything you own as the addiction takes hold!

acurnew

Originally Posted by srfisher17
QUOTE:hanks for helping the newbie. I have learned a valueable lesson:)
This hobby is still in its infancy, we're all new; and if we're not willing to listen & learn, like you're doing, we'll all be left behind. Good Luck and get ready to refinance everything you own as the addiction takes hold!
Again I thank all of you and sure wish I did my homework first
Because I did not check for a ammonia spike during the 3 week of fish and feeding I should wait another week or 2 to to add a clean up crew and just keep checking for the spike? < feel like a dummy>

b bauer

I saw that you also have hair algae what kind of lights do you have and how long do you leave them on?sorry saw the 96w lights but on how long

michaeltx

sounds like if you had fish in there and was feeding that you more than likely spiked in ammonia. Here is a good way yo check through in some food and let it decay in the tank if your ammonia goes up you havent cycled if it does then you have cycled and ready to go for a clean up crew.
I think what you are seeing as hair blowing is the diatoms stuck together or a small start of cyno bacteria cutting back on the lighting abit will help and if your tank has cycled the clean up crew will also help.
Tank looks good though. the brown will go away but since you used well water it may last a longer time then normal because they have more food in the water.
I would stay with 2 heaters like said if one goes out the other will kick in and help keep the temp up in the tank,.
HTH
Mike

acurnew

b bauer: Thanks for the reply, I have been leaving the lights on about 8 hours a day.
MichaelTX: Thanks for the reply and advice on checking if the ammonia has or has not spiked... Sure am greatful for the help and advice for all...