newbie questions?

mac3

HI, i am setting up a used tank for my son and me. 75 gallon tank FOWLR.
the tank did come with a sump, wet/dry and a bunch of plumbing but the stuf is in filthy shape. the tank sat half filled with standing salt water in the tank and sump for months very dirty looking. i am leary of using the plastic pipes because i dont know how to clean inside plastic pipes.also the pump does not work. i dont what could be wrong with it. any ideas or should it be replaced.
my questions
so should i just go with a HOB skimmer, or skimmer with sump set up or fix up a wet/dry trickle system.
if i go with a HOB skimmer should i buy a aquac remora with 1200 or the pro for the 75 gallon
also came with metal hilade lights.
thank you in advance for your help.
John

capt.lunch

I would loose the old stuff and go with a sump. Get or make one with a skimmer section, then a section full of live rock, then a return section where you can put your heater or any other gadgets. If you must go Hang on The aqua c is an excellent choice.

squidd

WELCOME to the SWF board Mac3...:cheer:
Good score on the used equipment...one of the best ways to get started on the "cheap" (at least as "cheap" as can be in a relatively expencive hobby...:D )
Aqua C Remora pro is a good choice for skimmer...
The Pump can "probably" be cleaned and made to work again....soak it in a bucket of vinegar to loosen deposits and take it apart to scrub the insides (paying particular attention to the impeller and shaft/must "spin" freely")
Same with the tank...soak scrape and wash...
The pipes are cheap enough...probably replace them when you set up your system..
There are lot's of different ways to set up filtration, and I'm not a fan of wet/drys so I'd say go with a sump...adaquate Live rock and good flow in the tank...along with a good skimmer your well on your way to a successfull tank...
Good luck and keep asking questions

mac3

Capt lunch, Squidd
thank you for the help and the tips. i am getting everything cleaned up and ready to go. i cleaned and soaked the pump but no go. i guess i will need a new one. what is a good brand of pump and what should i expect to pay? can i get one at Home depot or do i need to go to a pet shop?
thanks again for the help. hopefully i can get this up and started in a couple days. my son is getting excited to get it going.
thanks, Mac