Newbie Questions

fish lover

Im a newbie to salwater aquariums and I was wondering what size aquarium to get and what fish to put in it.

jr1053

There are no easy answers to these general questions and it is dependent on your buget and commitment to the hobby. Larger tanks tend to be more stable and less disturbed by a mistake in overfeeding,less diligent maintenance, power outages, etc. Try to get a good general book(eg. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - it is available on this site) and read it cover to cover before you buy anything.
John

E

exile415

it really depends on how big your wallet is and if it will fi t anywhere in your house. in saltwater. it's bigger the better

murph

Yep Read the book(s) and then read it again. In a few days read it some more.
I am new to salt water myself although I bred African cichlids for years. Do as much reading as you can.
It reminds me of my friends and there tendency to think I am some sort of computer genius becasue.....well because I can turn it on. I field many questions daily and basically I tell them all I did to get to this point was READ THE MANUAL. Installing software? See those files that say "Read Me", they mean just that READ THEM!
The same seems to apply for aquariums. One word of advice though when you are at the book store, check to see when the book was published and get recent publications. There are some pretty out of date books on the shelves that contain info that is now out of favor judging from the advice I get here on the forum