Newbie to hobby seeks most interesting addition

lazarus

Been at this since new year and alls well so far! 29 gal has 1 poor mans moorish idol, clownfish, yellow tang and 2 damsels. Live rock, CC star and a few hermits. I feel I have room for 1 fish and 1 invert. I will try to get damsels out to make room.
Survey: your favorite, MOST hardy and MOST interesting fish and invert. It would help ALOT if they were also affordable! (ie under $50 each). Many thanks for the advice!

littlebuck

wow u have all that in a 29 gallon. OMG thats horrible NO MORE FISH IN THAT TANK. I would get those fish you have in there out. Tank is way way way to small for all of those

littlebuck

yes 5 in that tank is way to many, also the fish you have in there are way to big of fish and need alot of room. the tang needs atleast 75 gallons. the idol atleast 100+

lazarus

and my plan was to move them into a 100-125 gal at some point soon. i wanted first to see if i could do this without killing anybody, and am planning a larger tank in a different part of the house. maybe i should focus on that for now, but everybody in there seems pretty copisetic and eating really well!

shu-perman

Originally Posted by LAZARUS
Been at this since new year and alls well so far! 29 gal has 1 poor mans moorish idol
, clownfish, yellow tang and 2 damsels. Live rock, CC star and a few hermits. I feel I have room for 1 fish and 1 invert. I will try to get damsels out to make room.
Survey: your favorite, MOST hardy and MOST interesting fish and invert. It would help ALOT if they were also affordable! (ie under $50 each). Many thanks for the advice!
Littlebuck...FYI bold text above means Heniochus Butterfly...
regardless you are over stocked....
have you ever seen the commerical w/ the newlyweds that move into the minature house for 1 yr and they end up at each others nerves???? which will cause stress...get ready for your tang to get ick...

angied

I HATE IT WHEN PEAPLE ARE JUST OUT AND OUT MEAN.............BUT THERE RIGHT I THINK ITS LIKE 1 FISH PURE 5 GALLONS AND YOUVE GOT TO WATCH OUT FOR THE SIZE THE FISH IS GOING TO BE IT WELL OUT GROW YOUR TANK OR PERHAPS DYE.......DONT GET DISAPPONTED TRY SAVING SOME MONEY AND GETTING THAT BIGGER TANK .....I FOR ONE KNOW THIS IS AN EXSPENCIVE HOBBY AND IT TAKES ALOT OF PATIENCE...
GOOD LUCK

angied

You Know Try Being More Understanding You Where A Biginner Once To...thats Why Where On This Forum Is To Get Others Advice Not To Be Cricical Towards Each Other.....
Words For Thought

angied

I Know But Obviusly He Dont Thats Why Hes Here Asking ????????i Almost Hate Pet Stores Sometimes, They Should Of Never Sold Him Them Fish To Begin With.....but Ya I Understand Your Concern

littlebuck

yes i know i know its not really his fault. I also hate LFS that just sell you things to make money. THEY dont care about anyone half of the time. There are some out there that are good but most are just in it to make money. I would look at trying to get a bigger tank before you add anything else. If you want to add corals wathc out for ur CC they are not reef safe. Well make sure you do some research on items before you put them in your tank it will save you alot of time and money.

ophiura

There is a way to make the point that there should not be any fish in the tank, and it is not usually to jump on people.
It is using a logical argument, not yelling, etc.
So in this case the tank, IMO, is way overcrowded with fish that will grow quite large. I would not risk it, or you risk everything. Stress will set in, and stress leads to Ick. I would save up the money and put it toward getting a larger tank ASAP. The heniochus and tang really don't belong in this tank on their own based on needs. I would personally tade those back in and then get a fish suitable for the tank size. But I don't think that you should spend any more on fish. It could be a disaster.
How long has the tank been set up?
While some would say 1" of fish per gallon, this is not really suitable for saltwater. In saltwater it is generally 1" per 5g and even this is not suitable for some fish that are messy, aggressive, or just need space to move. So you are at most looking at 6 " of fish, and you must be at that by now, IMO. But you have fish that need room and space, so this is why, IMO, you are overstocked.

lazarus

i can handle a little direct criticism...so long as justified! you are right, i was told by LFS these fish would be fine in 29 gal....and i trusted them. i count on this site as well and should have consulted it first. the LFS i selected seemed like the best and most responsible in town...live and learn. i will let these guys remain roomates for now and will not add more.
btw this tank has been set up since january and the idol and tang seem to be doing well, added about 3 weeks ago.

jon321

3 weeks is hardly a scale to determine if something is doing well. We arnt counting down the hours till everything is dead, but in my experience, youll definitely be able to see that those fish are getting sickly within the next 6-8 months.
Jon

morales67

Originally Posted by LAZARUS
Been at this since new year and alls well so far! 29 gal has 1 poor mans moorish idol, clownfish, yellow tang and 2 damsels. Live rock, CC star and a few hermits. I feel I have room for 1 fish and 1 invert. I will try to get damsels out to make room.
wats ''por mans moorish idol''?
, is it the same as a regular moorish idol?

granny

Morales,
It Is A Butterfly-moorish Idols Are Impossible To Keep!!
But The Butterly Looks Much Like It-smaller, Easier To Keep, More Available, Therefore Less Expensive For Us 'poor' Men And Women!!