Newbie to Marine

emg

I started my first marine tank recently...about 3 weeks ago. I've been into freshwater since the end of 2003 when I bought my daughter a tank for Christmas...lol...if I only knew !
I had to start small as my budget is pretty slim for this. I sold a colony of multifasciatus shelldwellers so that I could use thier tank for the sw.....it's a 20long.
I decided on a FOWLR setup...as that seemed the best way to go for a first timer. I'm using an Aquaclear 300 HOB as a fuge. I siliconed a baffel in the filter to keep the sand from the impellor. So far seems to be working nicely....I have added some macro and more LS to that fuge since taking that pic....

For lighting I only have a dual NO flourescent....with 2-20watt 50/50s in it. I'm hoping I'll be able to do a few low light corals if I pop them up on top of some rock....
Not looking to upgrade the lighting at all.....my electric bill is high enough already...hehe...so I'll just have to make do with what I have there.
I have about 20lbs of cured LR in there at the moment. It's been running with the LR for about 2 weeks now. There are 2 powerheads as well......one in each back corner. A 170gph and a maxijet 400.
For substrate I have a reef sand (argonite based) and a friend has been giving me some LS from her 90gallon reef.
My parameters are:
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
phosphate-0 (was up to 1...but came down after a wc)
PH-8.2
gKH-9.52
calcium-360
SG-1.026
The calcium is a bit low....but I'm not doing any corals anytime soon..if at all...so it should be ok for now. Have to keep an eye on it though.
Right now I'm getting the diatom thing going..waiting for that to pass. I got a good assortment of snail hitchikers..one being a nassarius..the others, I'm not sure. I picked up a turbo....3 small hermits and a peppermint shrimp...to crop the hair algae that came on some of the rock I purchased. It's dead and dying right now..and the critters have been making short work of it.
Anyway...here's some pics:

For stock I'm planing on a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair....and...my kids have requested nemos
so I guess I'll have to get a pair of those...lol. I'll pick up some true perculas rather than the ocellaris because the perculas stay a bit smaller.
If I have room after those....I wouldn't mind having a little clown goby...IF...that and the watchman can get along ok. If not...then no clown goby.....but, I don't want to overdo here...so that most likely will be it for stock...plus a few more shrimp and snails perhaps.