Newbie to Seahorses

T

triciag

~~I started my 29 Gallon tank a little less then a week ago. My plan is to have two Hippocampus Erectus only with fake corral and just a clean up crew. I purchased a Filstar XP Canister filter. Purchased a no brand name Protein Skimmer on Ebay that is going back tomorrow and I am planning on replacing it with AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer. The tank is running between 76 -78 degrees so I don't think I need a heater at this time. I did purchase an inline Hydor Heater for external canister filters, but it didn't fit my lines so I am going to look for something else. Anyway, one step at a time. I have a couple of questions: I thought I understand everything before I started my cycling of my tank, but I must have missed an important step. I bought the RO water and I used Instant Ocean Reef Crystal Reef salt. I purchased dry live rock (didn't want any hitch hikers) and bought live sand. I think what I messed up on is I didn't realize that I wasn't suppose to use the cheme stars and my activated carbon in my canister filter during this time. Did I just mess up real bad? I was trying to be so careful. I also started the tank with a uncooked shrimp. All my levels have not changed since I started the tank is that because I am using the filter? If I haven't messed everything up, should I leave them in or take them out? Also, can I save them or should I throw them away? The other question is about the Protein Skimmer. I have read different opinions on when that should or could be put on the tank. I went ahead in put my no brand name on yesterday when it arrived, but had a major problems with the micro bubbles. I understant those can be bad if you get to many. I have researched the Remora prior to buying this one, but it was a bit more then what I wanted to spend since I had to buy everything else new. Anyway, the no brand name is going back and I will be purchasing the Remora. I understand that they all can start out with many micro bubbles for the first week or two. My question is if I don't start it now while I dont have the seahorses wont it be bad to have the protein skimmer go through its cycling process with all the micro bubbles while the seahorses are in there? Also, do I need to get the Remora with the maxijet or will it work alright with the pump that comes with it I need it for a 29 gallon tank. I am not getting the nano (to small) and the Pro(to large) I need the one for a 29 gallon. I am also worried about the current in the tank being to strong.

S

saxman

Wow...a couple of new paragraphs would help your posts be more "readable"...just saying.

Your tank is actually too warm for tropical species SH. SH are very susceptible to bacterial infections, and at 75*F, the bacterial count in a closed system goes nuts. Tropical sp. SH are best kept below 74*F. to be honest, when we were raising SH, every one of our SH setups was chilled because there was never a worry about temp spikes. Unless your home gets really cold, I'd return the heater, as you can keep tropicals as low as about 68*F.

As for the skimmer...I'd leave it off. Your setup shouldn't really need it. To be honest, I've only ever skimmed one of our SH setups, and ended up removing it after awhile.

Your tank will take some time to cycle...just leave it alone at this point, and definitely don't skim it...that's kinda counterproductive at this stage of the game.

Finally, I can't stress enuff that you get your SH from a reputable breeder. You want true CAPTIVE BRED stock as opposed to wild-caught or "tank-raised" SH. CB SH will come to you accustomed to aquarium life, and will happily eat thawed mysis (be sure to rinse it before feeding it out).

If you have enuff rock (30 lbs or so), you don't need to use the filter media, but running it will boost the areas for culturing nitrogen fixing bacteria. Once it's cycled, be sure to rinse the media in SW at least bi-weekly.

You'll also want to get a "SH med kit" together so if something does pop up, you can act quickly. Furan 2, an 18 ga cannula (without needle), a small syringe (3 or 6 cc) should be good for starters. The cannula is for pouch evacs/flushes, and the syringe helps for measuring meds. There are other things too, but this is a good basic list.

Don't worry, you're doing fine so far...ask if you have any questions.

T

triciag

Thank You for the information. Do you have any recommendations on chillers? Is it true that the motors can run a little hot? Also, I was looking into a fan for the tank because I knew it was running a little warm. Any thoughts on rather that would help?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3534962
Thank You for the information. Do you have any recommendations on chillers? Is it true that the motors can run a little hot? Also, I was looking into a fan for the tank because I knew it was running a little warm. Any thoughts on rather that would help?

Hi, You haven't made any mistakes, just some equipment you won't need, such as the heater and skimmer.

Saxman is our SH expert. You PMed me...now I see your thread.

I'm going to add a little meat to the bare bones info Saxman offered. . The chiller is really needed, I can't stress it enough. I have the Aquaeuro USA on my 56g, and an Arctica on my 90g...both brands have run flawlessly for the last 3 years. The size is what matters. I have a 1/10hp on one, and 1/5hp on the other. The mini 1/15 Arctica is all you need, but it runs around $400.00, it's also the cheapest one. They are selling them on eBay, I would always purchase new, unless you actually know the person you are getting a used one from. I checked and even on eBay they run around $400.00

You need some hitches, I don't recommend fake plants, they just collect algae and look nasty in no time at all. Decorative macroalgae adds color, hitches, and keeps the tank water pristine. The Red Botryocladia is beautiful, and the horses love to hitch on it. The Caulerpa Prolifera is a nice macro that looks like turtle grass, the horses really like that stuff as well.

I don't have power heads on my 56g, I use two air lines...no stone. It moves the water, and breaks the surface to help with gas exchange, and the horses love the bubbles. I should be harvesting (removing the extra macros that has grown out) the end of this month...if you want some Botryocladia and Prolifera, I can give you some, just pay for the shipping. I have one other person who wants some already, a little goes a long way, it grows and I trim it back...I hate to toss it out in the trash.

I keep Kuda seahorses in the 56g, and Potbelly horses in the 90g. I kept Erectus horses in a 30g I had (no longer) I use a combo of decorations, rock and macroalgae for both tanks. Just click on the picture to see it enlarged.

Just to offer some idea of how to decorate to accommodate the horses, I'm attaching some pictures...excuse the overgrowth of macros.

The red macro in this picture is Halymenia...the green is prolifera...This is one of my Kuda seahorses.

This was my Erectus tank with 4 horses and corals (30g long)

This is my 90g
h.com/content/type/61/id/382593/" />

This is the 56g (taken today)

This is a picture of my potbelly horses

Oh...and I deliberately added the green bubble macroalgae to my 56g. I like the little clusters of emerald color, not for everyone...but it's something I happen to like. Most folks consider it a nuisance macro.

T

triciag

Thank You Flower for the information. I LOVE your tanks. They are beautiful. I hate to say it, but I had already bought a few artificial coral for hitching posts. I wanted everything to cycle together without disturbing it to much while I was waiting.

If I was to get some Macroalgae when would it be safe to put it in my tank? After it cycles or during, when? Also, I have read about the Macroalgae causing a white film on the glass is this true?

Can you also tell me when will I notice my levels changing when I test the water? Everything is running in the ideal still. My shrimp has broke apart and is stuck on the live rock I assume this is a good thing?

I am sorry I have so many questions. I am very excited that I have found someone that can take me step my step. There is so much information out there it is really hard to figure out the right and wrong.

My plan is to get my seahorses (someday) from Seahorse Source. I am also thinking two females not a pair. I really don't want to raise babies.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3534977
Thank You Flower for the information. I LOVE your tanks. They are beautiful. I hate to say it, but I had already bought a few artificial coral for hitching posts. I wanted everything to cycle together without disturbing it to much while I was waiting.

If I was to get some Macroalgae when would it be safe to put it in my tank? After it cycles or during, when? Also, I have read about the Macroalgae causing a white film on the glass is this true?

Can you also tell me when will I notice my levels changing when I test the water? Everything is running in the ideal still. My shrimp has broke apart and is stuck on the live rock I assume this is a good thing?

I am sorry I have so many questions. I am very excited that I have found someone that can take me step my step. There is so much information out there it is really hard to figure out the right and wrong.

My plan is to get my seahorses (someday) from Seahorse Source. I am also thinking two females not a pair. I really don't want to raise babies.

Hi, questions BEFORE disaster strikes is great....so by all means...please, ask away!

There isn't anything wrong with the fake pieces, they just collect algae and won't look so good after a short time. I even have fake plants that I put in my tanks when I pull the fake décor out to clean it up. It gives the horses something to hitch to. You haven't done anything wrong so far at all. relax take a deep breath.

The type of macros that I have, has not ever in 3 years gone sexual on me...the feather and grape caulerpa (I have the prolifrea) has gone sexual on others, and it makes the tank water turn white and cloudy like milk...not the glass.

For now just use those ammonia test strips...you could add another chunk of shrimp, we just want it to rot and cause an ammonia spike....once the ammonia goes to 1, I remove it, then wait for it to go back to 0. Time means nothing, your test kits tells you what's going on with the water. You can add macroalgae right away, I personally never did until after the cycle
...but Beaslbob is the macro king, and he says to use right off the start... and when it comes to macroalgae, he really knows his stuff.

I purchased my Kuda seahorses from seahorse source...I love that place. The site called seahorse.org is awesome as well. They are there if you have any troubles and seahorses is all they do. I got my potbelly and my erectus horses from folks that breed them, they hang out on that site.

LOL...Not a pair... I tried that route, I wanted all females...that way no pouches to flush, and no babies to watch die. Well long story short, it seems it's not so easy to tell the boys from the girls when they are young. I ended up with three males and one little female.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3534977
I am also thinking two females not a pair. I really don't want to raise babies.

Dan can hook you up with females, they just need to be a bit older is all. To be honest, raising SH fry is something you REALLY have to want to do...it's labor intensive to say the least, even with benthic fry, and a prolific pair can mate every couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg01
http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3534981
If it's a suitable home and 12 hours of light they could mate
Note that Tricia is planning a same-sex tank. Two females might court each other (I even have photos of a female kuda courting a female reidi...even tried an "egg transfer"), but they could never mate. I've never found 12 hrs of light to be a requirement for mating, and a determined pair can mate in a 10 gal QT, so the whole"tank height = 3x the height of the SH" isn't needed either (as is often quoted).

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3534986

a determined pair can mate in a 10 gal QT, so the whole"tank height = 3x the height of the SH" isn't needed either (as is often quoted).

Hi,

The Erectus managed to mate in a 30g long, so tank height didn't seem to matter to them.

However, my potbelly horses do the dance and get all the way to the very top... and break apart...a year now and no fry. I'm not concerned because I can't take care of them and keep them alive. For the potbelly species anyway, I really think the 90g is just not tall enough.

S

saxman

That and the fact that pots have a couple thousand, tiny pelagic fry...yikes!

Inexperienced pairs do have some issues with tank height, as they can't seem to complete their coital spins in shorter setups, and often miss the egg transfer (when you see bright orange eggs on the tank bottom, that's what happened...fumbled "hand-off". IME, SH will always get "knocked-up" at the most inopportune times...LOL

Tricia,

It's not that chillers overheat, it's simply how they work. Chillers bring in cool air from the front, which blows thru the heat exchanger where the heat is dissipated. This heat has to go somplace, so it exits the rear of the chiller and yes, it's indeed warm. If your chiller doesn't exhaust the heat, it can't cool the water. This is why you shouldn't put your chiller inside a tank stand...they need at least 12" of space in front and back to work most efficiently. Also, the larger the chiller is, the less hard it has to work, so it saves on wear and electricity. You could go with a 1/15 hp on a 29, and can probably drive it with the canister...I've done this many times on small sumpless setups.

T

triciag

I am looking into purchasing the AquaEro chiller. Does it come with a pump or not? If not is there a certain pump that you would recommend? I also noticed that I need to make sure to purchase tubing for it, is that correct?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3535200
I am looking into purchasing the AquaEro chiller. Does it come with a pump or not? If not is there a certain pump that you would recommend? I also noticed that I need to make sure to purchase tubing for it, is that correct?

Hi,

I'm not sure what kind of filter you intend to use.....I don't remember if my chillers came with the tubing, but any hardware sells tubing really cheap by the foot. It does take a "sold separately" utility or maxi jet pump. I got a cheap one at *****, or if you have a canister filter you can hook the intake tube of the chiller, to the output tube of the canister. remember, the chiller should not be in the stand, but out to the side of the stand...I will get too warm inside a stand...it needs to breath.

I run a HOB for my 56g tank, and a sump system on the 90g, so I use a small pump...A canister would work really good because it would filter out any large particles and keep the chiller debris free. The chiller does say to run a filter, but nobody who has one on a sump does, so I didn't either. Most people I know use a canister filter for a seahorse tank.

T

triciag

I do have a canister filter on my tank. So you can run the tube from the canister output into the intake of the chiller then can I use the tubing that was my output from the canister for the output from the chiller instead? Or do I need to splice into the output from the canister so that will have a flow and the chiller with have its own flow. I understand that the tubing might be different sizing which I would have to get adapters for if needed. That would be great if I only need to run one tube out and one back in to run everything instead of two out and two back in.

I do have a brand new Marineland maxi-jet 400 that I had bought to help increase flow in my tank if needed. I wonder if that would work. Is there a manufacture website that could help me with my questions on set up of the chiller?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3535206
I do have a canister filter on my tank. So you can run the tube from the canister output into the intake of the chiller then can I use the tubing that was my output from the canister for the output from the chiller instead? Or do I need to splice into the output from the canister so that will have a flow and the chiller with have its own flow. I understand that the tubing might be different sizing which I would have to get adapters for if needed. That would be great if I only need to run one tube out and one back in to run everything instead of two out and two back in.

I do have a brand new Marineland maxi-jet 400 that I had bought to help increase flow in my tank if needed. I wonder if that would work. Is there a manufacture website that could help me with my questions on set up of the chiller?

LOL...Sounds so confusing when we try and write it down...intake hose from tank to the canister....output hose from the canister to the intake of the chiller...output hose from the chiller to the tank. Setting up the chiller is super easy, you supply water to come and go, and then plug it in, making sure there are no leaks where the hoses connect. Oh and set the temp to 73...mine goes up to 74 before the compressor runs. 74 degrees is ideal, but the temp has to climb above that to start to cool, so I set it one degree below ideal...73 to 74 is perfect to keep tropical seahorses comfortable and happy.

seafishlover

TRICIA,

I HAVE A HUGE SEAHORSE TANK...ABOUT 12 ADULTS...JUST HAD BABIES...LOTS AND LOTS. I GOT STARTED THROUGH OCEAN RIDERS OUT OF HAWAII...THEY HAVE BEEN BREEDING SEAHORSE SINCE THE 1990s. PERSONALLY I WOULD TRUST NO ONE BUT THEM...IF YOU ARE INTERESTED THE EMAIL IS petegiwojna @ aol.com.
I HAVE PURCHASED ALL SEAHORSES FROM THEM. THEY HAVE A BIG FARM AND GIVE TOURS. YOU CAN VIEW THEIR FARM ON LINE. REALLY I WOULD NOT TRUST ANYONE
BUT THEM, BUT THAT IS UP TO YOU. I HAVE HAD MY SEAHORSES FOREVER AND THEY ARE REPRODUCING SO I GUESS THEY KNOW WHAT ADVICE TO GIVE.

JUST AN IDEA...HOPE THIS HELPS.

T

triciag

Thank You, Seafishlover. Ocean Riders was one of my other choices where to get my seahorses. My tank is getting closer.

S

saxman

Seafishlover,

I normally don't make this type of post, but you opened the can of worms...

OR also charges you to go on a tour, or used to...they're not "all that", and altho Giwonja is pretty sharp, his opinions and experiences aren't everyone's, and there are indeed other people out there who really know their stuff IMHO. IME with OR, their customer service was sorta poor, and their SH weren't nearly as nice as others I've gotten from other sources, nor did they live as long. They're also quite pricy for their stock...$325 for a single barb???!!! $450 for a "pinto", which may or may not actually have that coloration...when asked about it, their reply was "they carry the pinto gene"...REALLY???!!! They actually value their SH based on coloration hoping that peeps will believe the SH will stay that color (many don't).

And please, don't yell...no need to type in caps.

T

triciag

So much has happened since my last post. My tank is up in running. My chiller is keeping it cool and my filter is keeping it clean. My tank cycled a few weeks ago and is staying pretty regular. My PH is 8.1, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate low 5. I have done a few small water changes probably around 10%, but this weekend I am going to do a 25% water change. My salinity level was running around 1.024, today it is running 1.026. I will be adding water because my level is down a little which I think will hold it over until this weekend. I have to purchase the RO water and I only have 2 gallons left so I need to get to the store.
So anyway, I have purchased a few clean up crew members. I currently am the proud owner of a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, 2-Nassaruis snails, & 2-Turban snails. I spend hours just sitting in front of my tank watching them and counting snails. I also purchased a couple micro algaes, which seem to be doing great. There also was a couple of hitchhikers on my micro algae, 2- Asterina starfish. I think they are the safe ones. I have only seen them on my glass. I am planning on getting more snails soon.
I do have a few new questions. First - I just recently got the parts for my chiller. Since then my Protein skimmer is sending millions of micro bubbles into the tank. I had to unplug it to re-arrange my cords. Will my protein skimmer calm down or is it going to keep doing this? I will never be able to put anything in this tank with all these micro bubbles. I have checked all the connections for leaks, but haven't found anything yet. I also put a filter pad in where the water comes out, but still millions of bubbles. Any ideas would be great.
Second - I was considering getting a couple blue legged hermit crabs and 1- Citrus Goby or yellow Clown Goby? Anyone have any ideas if these would be okay with seahorses? I have checked them out on many sights and I think they are consider a "1" for seahorse tank mateos most sites. Also, I have read that the goby likes shrimp, will it try to eat my cleaner shrimp? That will be all I have in my 29 gallon tank before I get my two seahorses. I just want to watch something in there while I am waiting for my tank to age and while I am getting confidence that I can take care of seahorses.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG http:///t/396748/newbie-to-seahorses#post_3536685
So much has happened since my last post. My tank is up in running. My chiller is keeping it cool and my filter is keeping it clean. My tank cycled a few weeks ago and is staying pretty regular. My PH is 8.1, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate low 5. I have done a few small water changes probably around 10%, but this weekend I am going to do a 25% water change. My salinity level was running around 1.024, today it is running 1.026. I will be adding water because my level is down a little which I think will hold it over until this weekend. I have to purchase the RO water and I only have 2 gallons left so I need to get to the store.
So anyway, I have purchased a few clean up crew members. I currently am the proud owner of a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, 2-Nassaruis snails, & 2-Turban snails. I spend hours just sitting in front of my tank watching them and counting snails. I also purchased a couple micro algaes, which seem to be doing great. There also was a couple of hitchhikers on my micro algae, 2- Asterina starfish. I think they are the safe ones. I have only seen them on my glass. I am planning on getting more snails soon.
I do have a few new questions. First - I just recently got the parts for my chiller. Since then
my Protein skimmer is sending millions of micro bubbles into the tank. I had to unplug it to re-arrange my cords. Will my protein skimmer calm down or is it going to keep doing this? I will never be able to put anything in this tank with all these micro bubbles. I have checked all the connections for leaks, but haven't found anything yet. I also put a filter pad in where the water comes out, but still millions of bubbles. Any ideas would be great.
Second - I was considering getting a couple blue legged hermit crabs and 1- Citrus Goby or yellow Clown Goby? Anyone have any ideas if these would be okay with seahorses? I have checked them out on many sights and I think they are consider a "1" for seahorse tank mateos most sites. Also, I have read that the goby likes shrimp, will it try to eat my cleaner shrimp? That will be all I have in my 29 gallon tank before I get my two seahorses. I just want to watch something in there while I am waiting for my tank to age and while I am getting confidence that I can take care of seahorses.

Hi,

You can't keep a cleaner shrimp with seahorses...the peppermints are fine. You shouldn't have hermits or a citrus goby with them either. At the top of this section is a compatibility chart, look in there for ideas on what to add or not add, to your seahorse tank.

About the skimmer issues. Because you said "since then" I assume it didn't always shoot out micro-bubbles, but is a new development.

This is what I think may be going on:
As your water evaporates the salt remains behind. We add fresh RO water to the tank to keep the water level always the same (top off). The SG rises as the water evaporates because the salt in the water is more concentrated (which I think you already know, but just in case). .... Sometimes when your water level drops, the skimmer will send micro-bubbles out everywhere. Not all skimmers, but I know the Coralife one that I had did. As long as the water levels are to a certain point, the skimmer will not shoot micro-bubbles. When you added the chiller it took up some of the water, making the level drop, and then add the normal evaporation, and the level drops even more. So since you added the chiller, the skimmer is acting up, and sending micro-bubbles everywhere.

T

triciag

Thank You Flower, you know I wondered about my cleaner shrimp some sights say he is okay and others say no. He is very interested in my hand when I stick it in the tank. I will keep him for know and before I get my seahorses, I have a friend that I can give him to. I will be sad to see him go because he is very funny to watch.

I thought Goby's were zero or maybe a 1 on my seahorse chart. I will check again for something that I can get while I am waiting. I really would like something that stays down on the bottom of the tank and will leave my seahorses alone.

Yes, I did know about only adding RO water when my levels get low from evaporation because salt doesn't evaporate. Until I got all the right connections for my chiller I was using an aquarium fan which meant I had to add almost a gallon every night before I went to bed. With the chiller I don't need to add as often. The protein skimmer was running fine until I put the chiller in last weekend. Not to say that there wasn't a few micro bubbles here and there, but know there are thousands. My protein skimmer is a Remora Aqua C (I believe that is right, it isn't the pro) that hangs on the back of the tank. I know you said that I shouldn't need one, but I was trying to make sure that I covered all my bases. Look were that has gotten me. Lol I just ordered one of those overflow boxes for it. If that doesn't work then I may be selling it and just doing more water changes more often.

Thank you again for your help. I will keep you posted.