Newbie with questions about starting to culture phyto.

cpluta118

As the title says i am a newbie considering of culturing my own phyto. I have a lot of questions that i would like to have answered but basically the major one is after doing some research on a few different websites and forums i have a basic knowledge of what i need and how to do it but if some1 who has 1st hand experience with culturing phyto explain to me the whole process. I dont want or expect a in depth detailed book on it i would just like a basic overview that you would consider the most important and major parts of this process and after that i will post questions about the stuff that i still don't understand in the process.
Thank you
, your responses will be greatly appreciated!!!

cpluta118

or could any1 give me a good website with a thorough, detailed description of the process. I'd prefer no forum pages but if that is a very good description then that'll be fine?
Thank you, your responses will be appreciated!

cranberry

Can you give me some specific questions?
My spiel is about an hour long and I get paid for it normally
I kid I kid.
But no really... do you have specific questions. Someone saying "tell me about phyto" is like saying "tell me about saltwater tanks".

cpluta118

1st thing where do i get a live culture from and what kind of phyto should i get because from what i read i think there is more than one type.

florida joe

If you stick around a while you will learn that I almost never give complete answers, that being said am sure you know there are many types of phytoplankton. The easiest is tetraseimus chui. Research the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United States for info on culturing techniques. You can also check out Phytoplankton reactors offered by AquaMededic

cpluta118

Well Cranberry I plan on feeding it to my corals and in the future I plan on trying to breed my lonley Clownfish and I will need the phyto to feed rotifers and copepods. But for now just to feed my tank. 6oz of the stuff at the LFS is 20$ and I hear that live is better than dead lol and I like stuff like this(making stuff for my hobby's so I don't have to go out and buy it.)

cranberry

I would recommend something different for breeding purposes than I would for tank dosing.
I wouldn't, however, recommend it to someone who was just starting out.
Would you rather start with the harder to culture but better for breeding or the one that will be good for your tank now and easy to culture?

cpluta118

Id rather start with the one that is easy to culture and better for my tank bcuz i will be getting corals b4 i start breeding fish.