Nice algae.

Kristin1234

I've got some nice green algae growth going on.
Would a lawn mower blenny take care of this? I have dozens of snails and crabs they don't touch it.

Will my tank continue to produce the algae for a blenny to survive? My phosphates are kinda high right now, so I know that isn't helping.

lmforbis

Years ago I got one for that purpose. Had him for a long time. He had such a cute face. He'd scrape algae off the glass but never cleaned up the algae I wanted him to clean.
Now I have a super cute bicolor blenny. He is the first to the nori when I put it in even faster than the tangs doesn't touch any that is growing in the tank. My Halloween urchin does a better job on algae.

Kristin1234

Years ago I got one for that purpose. Had him for a long time. He had such a cute face. He'd scrape algae off the glass but never cleaned up the algae I wanted him to clean.
Now I have a super cute bicolor blenny. He is the first to the nori when I put it in even faster than the tangs doesn't touch any that is growing in the tank. My Halloween urchin does a better job on algae.
Got a short spine and he didn't touch it. So the lawnmower Will do good for this purpose or no?

Kristin1234

My tang and Fox eat it off the back chamber so I leave it but they don't touch it off the glass. Sailfin does every so often but if I see her pecking at it I just add some nori.

pegasus

My lawnmower blenny chomps all over the rocks, and the glass. While it doesn't remove all the algae off the glass, it does leave cute "lip marks" all over it... lol! I don't know if it would survive without natural algae. Mine has never made an attempt to eat any food that I put in the tank.

jay0705

Yea its weird. I was shocked how easily my current one eats frozen after my first wouldn't touch it. He even eats flake!

bang guy

The main diet of a Lawnmower Blenny is diatoms. They will often eat algae sheets as well but rarely will they want hair algae.

Sea Hares will eat many types of hair algae.

Kristin1234

Bang, I just looked those up. It shows care level expert. Do you know why? I have glass algae only. Nothing on the rocks really. Or sand.

bang guy

They are only considered expert because they require hair/Bryopsis algae to survive.

If you only have algae on the glass then I take it back, not a good fit. Algae scrapers do work well though. Just keep them clean and don't get any grit between the pad and the glass.

Kristin1234

Lol! Algae scraper? Now where is the fun in that? Jk. I do have one but I would like to see a critter take care of it. But if it wouldn't be a sufficient diet, algae scraper it is.

Another question.

I bought the hana checker and tested my phosphates. We were at .75. I do not have a phosban reactor so I gave chemi pure elite a try. A week later and a 10 gallon water change we are now at .72. Am I going to have to get a phosban reactor to keep these numbers lower?