Nice fish, very expensive.

reefstar22

It depends and who you work with.
I've personally dove for rock and animals myself. - Did I do it myself and send them directly home? - No not at all. - Nor did I take a large amount.
I have a few 20lb rocks in my tank that i've gathered myself on vacations. I also have a few inverts that I had overnighted home from the Caribbean without a problem.
Most of what your saying is based upon what you've heard and read. - You have to understand there are laws and regulations, but unlike the USA - Most of the countries do NOT enforce such jurisdictions to the extent the usa does. - I know for a FACT it is illegal to bring live rock out of the Caribbean to the united states. Odd how just 2 weeks ago I brought home 3 live rocks wrapped in plastic. - No problems walked right through customs in both countries explaining that its " Just a rock I liked "
I'm not disagreeing with you, but until you've been out of the country gone scuba diving and actually looked for items/ dealt with customs don't speak as though you've done it as I have....don't speak so aggressively. (I have another thread posted in the photography section where you can CLEARLY see the Caribbean rock that I just brought home.

jonthefishguy

I want you to know that regardless of what YOU think, removing livestock including rock from waters without proper permits IS illegal regardless of how much or how little it was. Obviously someone overlooked your 20lbs of liverock and you knowing that it is illegal and taking it anyways and bragging on how you didnt get caught as you brought it across shows just how much you really dont care. It may have worked for you but not for everyone. Most of what I have said is NOT based on what I have heard or read as I am in the aquarium trade and therefor actually have to pay for many of these permits and fees to have them FOB from original country. I myself am a diver but dont go out boasting about how I take part in illegal collecting. I think your ignorance in this matter shows just how much you really dont care about the laws set in place so that the ocean isnt raped of its inhabitants from every diver/snorkler who thinks that they can take a small piece here and there and it wont matter and that they wont get caught. The sad part is that if customs had done their job, those livestock would not have been returned back into the ocean, but stored and then discarded with the garbage at the end of the shift.

reefstar22

True but your still not understanding the fact that I'm NOT disagreeing with you. I'm just making note it CAN be done. - Most don't even care. - I took a rock that had no growth on it, and was AWAY from the reef because I DO care about the reef.
Point is I'm not bragging your just making it sound like they'll shoot you if you take anything out of the water which is false. - The ocean is HUGE. - It covers most of our planet. - There is plenty of rock on its bottom, it just depends on where you take it and how you take it.
Customs in Thailand didn't care to much either... nor did the USA upon arrival.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
True but your still not understanding the fact that I'm NOT disagreeing with you. I'm just making note it CAN be done. - Most don't even care. - I took a rock that had no growth on it, and was AWAY from the reef because I DO care about the reef.
Point is I'm not bragging your just making it sound like they'll shoot you if you take anything out of the water which is false. - The ocean is HUGE. - It covers most of our planet. - There is plenty of rock on its bottom, it just depends on where you take it and how you take it.
Customs in Thailand didn't care to much either... nor did the USA upon arrival.
Probably ignorant more than anything, customs official didn't know what he was looking at.

reefstar22

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Probably ignorant more than anything, customs official didn't know what he was looking at.
Its not an issue of not knowing what they're looking at.
There is no coral on the rock, nor is there an animal in my hand. - ITS A ROCK to them.
USA customs and other countries should be better trained on " Live rock " if its such an issue.
But in such a small amount its not looked at 20lbs of rock is about the size of a flat bowling ball. Its like some one going to CO and bringing home a small rock from the mountain. - If every tourist brought a rock home I'm sure the mountain would be smaller I guess.....

stdreb27

Its not an issue of not knowing what they're looking at.
There is no coral on the rock, nor is there an animal in my hand. - ITS A ROCK to them.
USA customs and other countries should be better trained on " Live rock " if its such an issue.
But in such a small amount its not looked at 20lbs of rock is about the size of a flat bowling ball. Its like some one going to CO and bringing home a small rock from the mountain. - If every tourist brought a rock home I'm sure the mountain would be smaller I guess.....

lol you think a guy or girl making 12-15 bucks an hour is going to be trained on recognizing live rock vs a normal rock? There are bigger fish out in the sea, like drugs, weapons, bombs ect that they are worried about.
I'm not arguing for or against what you did, just pointing out that he probably didn't even know what he was looking at.

cyclops

That is such horse ---- to pay that kind of money for a fish.
You can fly to the island where they collect them and get it cheaper and have it overnighted home. - Its the people pulling it out of the ocean that charge that amount.
I cant believe people would pay that kind of money. - Same thing for live rock if your going buy more than 300lbs you might as well just fly to the island where you can legally collect it and send it home. - It will cost you the same price but atleast you got to fly there, have a vacation and pick out the peices you want.
What Island? and how uch will hotel cost be, plane ticket, food. I will be willig to fly to any island just to get fish and see them scuba diving.

reefstar22

Well it depends on how you look at it. - Do I think its logical to spend $9/10 per pound for ROCK? - NO. - In small amounts 200lbs ...I dont mind buying from a pet store.
But when I travel, because I travel all the time (I'm a photographer by trade) - I'm booking a flight/hotel/etc anyways. - Scuba diving is an extra circular activity. - My advice as noted is to make a vacation out of it and use your money more wisely. - Why invest thousands in rock at a store, when you can travel there yourself, work out a deal with a local and get a huge discount on the rock and make a fun trip out of it.
The island? - IDK... there are tons of places in the world were you can collect rock without regulation.
My trip to Jamaica was $1200 for 7 days. - But I also know people there and know how to travel. - I brought back home a total of 45lbs of live rock. - 1 small rock with me 1 small rock with my better half. - Both presented at customs in both countries where its " supposedly illegal " - No one cared or batted an eye. I got $120 worth of rock for free and a great trip. - Hell if I wanted to I could have brought home bags of sand from out near the reef were there is no pollution and brought that home dried out and added it to my tank as base sand *boiled first to insure its dead* to slowly mix with my own sand bringing it back to life and saving me money on sand. - But again - I didn't care to.
People need to stop depending on other people for things, its half the reason so many darn things in this country are so outrageously priced.
(I'd say just make a few calls, find out where there are some good reefs and a good place to go for a vacation. From there call some local shops, get ideas for prices etc...research the hotels online see if they quality is up to par for you. - Budget food/fun...etc and make a rocking good trip out of it.) Again if your going to have a 500 gallon plus tank in your house your going to need 400/500lbs of rock thats $4500 in rock based on $9 bucks a pound. - Thats HUGE vacation for a person who likes to travel and live like a local. - shipping home would be by cargo ship..etc - note you'll have to cure the rock when it gets to your home though. IT WILL STINK!

jonthefishguy

Some people have to learn the hard way I guess. No matter how much they are told its illegal or wrong. By the way, how is that stingray you purchased that everyone gave you advice on and you ignored it?

reefstar22

He died, but its a hobby. - Not a child. - Not a huge invest. Nor was it an important figure in life. - Some look at this hobby as a lifestyle. -Its a hobby. - I enjoy this hobby very much so,I spend many hours looking at my tank a week, doesn't mean I'll be afraid to try new things or question the rules. - I have a blue ribbon eel that eats like a horse, when everyone said it would die in 3 weeks. - Turns out I'm one of like 50 people in the usa that have one alive. - How cool is that? - Did the sting ray die? - Yes. - Would he have died in another's tank...more than likely... issue is I have a solid tank and I gave it a try. - Its to bad he died...but issue is... if you dont want these animals to die you shouldn't purchase a fish from the store in the first place, they're not ment to live in a tank. they're meant to live in the ocean.

reefstar22

I'd say the risk's I've taken within this hobby are worth it. - My tank is beautiful. Cant wait until I upgrade to a 500 gallon tank soon. Who's to say I wont try new things there too? - Hopefully I can still break the rules there as I do now. - People told me not to put a trigger in my tank because he'll eat my inverts. - Mine is highly respectful member of the community. - No problems EVER.
People told me that I shouldn't have a lion in the tank he'll eat all my small fish. - I have several gobies and several damsels that swim around all the time. - Hasn't eaten one yet.
I have a blue ribbon eel which is supposed to be the hardest animal to feed. - Mine eats silverslides/squid/ghost shrimp from time to time, and even a gold fish once and a RARE while should I throw one in the tank.
I have 4 TANGS. - 1 yellow, 1 regal , 1 sailfin 1 kole tang. - I'm told they should be fighting like crazy. - There isn't a slash mark on one of my fish, not one fight. They all swim quite nicely.
Point is, if everyone followed the rules nothing would change and everyone would have bare tanks with clown fish.
I'd say this tank is a beaut and a treat to sit down and watch.

goldenboy

Hey bella, I've seen this fish down in MD. They had it for half the price at Roozens nursery. There are a lot of tangs that I like such as the jewel tang (mustard tang). That fish normally goes for around $150, and is almost as rare. Myself, I settled for my awesome achilles tang. Best of the breed if you ask me...

nano reefer

By other LFS that i hate tried to sell me a tang for 4000. It was solid black, a cross breed of a scopas and some other type. My tank is a 55... they knew that and they said it was fine. I never go there anymore. Ridiculous prices, and not that knowledgeable. Even though it is considered to be the best on the east coast. Greenwich Aquaria is waaaaay better.

wangotango

He died, but its a hobby. - Not a child. - Not a huge invest. Nor was it an important figure in life. - Some look at this hobby as a lifestyle. -Its a hobby. - I enjoy this hobby very much so,I spend many hours looking at my tank a week, doesn't mean I'll be afraid to try new things or question the rules. - I have a blue ribbon eel that eats like a horse, when everyone said it would die in 3 weeks. - Turns out I'm one of like 50 people in the usa that have one alive. - How cool is that? - Did the sting ray die? - Yes. - Would he have died in another's tank...more than likely... issue is I have a solid tank and I gave it a try. - Its to bad he died...but issue is... if you dont want these animals to die you shouldn't purchase a fish from the store in the first place, they're not ment to live in a tank. they're meant to live in the ocean.

It's that kind of atitude that won't make you any friends in this hobby. - Speaking of the hobby, most people TAKE CARE of their animals so that they don't have to see them die. - Your final argument is rediculous. - - - - - -
Nice fish, but I wouldn't pay that much.
-Justin

ssssoma

I'd say the risk's I've taken within this hobby are worth it. - My tank is beautiful. Cant wait until I upgrade to a 500 gallon tank soon. Who's to say I wont try new things there too? - Hopefully I can still break the rules there as I do now. - People told me not to put a trigger in my tank because he'll eat my inverts. - Mine is highly respectful member of the community. - No problems EVER.
People told me that I shouldn't have a lion in the tank he'll eat all my small fish. - I have several gobies and several damsels that swim around all the time. - Hasn't eaten one yet.
I have a blue ribbon eel which is supposed to be the hardest animal to feed. - Mine eats silverslides/squid/ghost shrimp from time to time, and even a gold fish once and a RARE while should I throw one in the tank.
I have 4 TANGS. - 1 yellow, 1 regal , 1 sailfin 1 kole tang. - I'm told they should be fighting like crazy. - There isn't a slash mark on one of my fish, not one fight. They all swim quite nicely.
Point is, if everyone followed the rules nothing would change and everyone would have bare tanks with clown fish.
I'd say this tank is a beaut and a treat to sit down and watch.

There are always exceptions with some fish. People give you advice from experience, or from reading literature from someone with experience. You have to have general rules of thumb to go by. Nobody's saying ALL lionfish will ALWAYS eat every small fish in your tank. There's going to be exceptions. But are your fish's lives worth the risk of experimenting to see if you can break the rules? If so, then you're not a very conscientious hobbyist, and obviously do not understand the true essence of aquarium-keeping.
Just my 2 cents.

ncognito

It is quite obvious in his thread that he doesn't care as it is a hobby and nothing more to him. His inconsideration for the well being of the animal(s) he has had, shows just that. I have seen some pictures of his tank that he previously posted and they were not impressive.

myerst22

Well here's my rare fish that I got a great deal on. Basically stole it for what they usually go for. Here's some pics.

Let me know what you think. He's my pride and joy and has been doing great,
Regards, Tim