Nice fish, very expensive.

goofieones

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
Sweet tang. - Its expensive. - We've agreed. - The thread has evolved. - Welcome to online forums.

ROFL!!

ice4ice

$3000 for that fish ?!?! *faints* ...
Nuh uh not me !!! They can keep the fish ... Beautiful tang though ...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Myer what the hell is that?!
Its some sort of rockfish, they are pretty venumous aren't they?

myerst22

That is my Rhinopias Frondosa. One pic is with my Gymnothorax Meletremus, ie Drawf Banana Moray. Both are considered rare for the most part but certainly don't carry that Tang's pricetag, which is way!!!!!!!! overpriced. I got great deals on the two fish I have right now. It's all about who you know. So is the story with anything in life. I'm getting a pair of Crosshatches in about a week. Here's some new pics of my Rhino and my not so rare Lion. Regards, Tim

reefstar22

Originally Posted by Ncognito
I have seen some pictures of his tank that he previously posted and they were not impressive.

Cry me a river.

haha.

It is just a hobby/something nice to look at when people walk into my home..

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
Cry me a river.

haha.

It is just a hobby/something nice to look at when people walk into my home..

No, actually it is a habitat for living creatures.
The type of habitat created is solely dependent on you; and the quality of habitat bears testimony as to what kind of "hobbyist" you are.
I've never seen your tank, so not passing judgement either way. I'm just saying the argument that "this is just a hobby" is totally flawed.

reefstar22

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
No, actually it is a habitat for living creatures.
The type of habitat created is solely dependent on you; and the quality of habitat bears testimony as to what kind of "hobbyist" you are.
I've never seen your tank, so not passing judgement either way. I'm just saying the argument that "this is just a hobby" is totally flawed.
As posted above - This is my system.

Tank is followed by a 100 gallon sump, 45 gallon ecosystem, and UV. 1/4hp pump to power the bad boy followed by RO/DI water. - My tank is set up professionally. - Its still a hobby.

fishfinder

I have to agree with Reefstar22, it is just a hobby. You can never truly call it a natural ecosystem. Yeah, it might be self-sustaining, but it is still unatural and certainly not the Ocean. How many venturi protein skimmers do you see breaking the surface over the Great Barrier Reef

On the flip-side, I myself like to learn from others and not push the limits of the hobby. I am what most people on here would consider a responsible reef keeper. I provide the best environment possible as suggested by other members/"hobbiests." For example, I wouldn't attempt to keep a Moorish Idol. In defense of Reefstar22, it takes people like him to take the chance on a Moorish Idol to figure out successful ways to keep the fish. You never know, he could be the person who finds a break-through method to keep this fish with a success rate that exceeds the failure rate???
Success doesn't come without risk and failure. I hope most on here aren't so niave to think that our hobby hasn't greatly evolved from people like Reefstar22 who are willing to take a chance. This may should extremely harsh, but some fish end up being very similar to lab rats...sorry it sounds so harsh, but it's the best analogy I could come up with.
Somebody has to be the inovator/inventor!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fishfinder
I.... I hope most on here aren't so niave to think that our hobby hasn't greatly evolved from people like Reefstar22 who are willing to take a chance.
That's not really true.
Reefstar promotes smuggling illegally harvested liverock into the country. That doesn't advance our hobby.
Reefstar purchases and keeps species in habitat known to not be suitable.
Our hobby is advanced by people thinking outside the box. That said, purchasing a creature ill-suited for your tank and rolling the dice to see if it survives is hardly a "scientific experiment".

reefmate75

i went to a OMOS meeting and it was over perisites in the home aquiarum busness...they talked alot about what little critters we DONT want and about something else that cought me...they had a few papers on studys done on marine fish, one of them was about how long fish in the ocean live...99% dont make it past 1 week old...reasons are they are exposed to the perditors in the wild where in our tanks they are only indangered like that from some moron (thats me) (not so much anymore) that puts a percula in with a snapper....that paper also sateted that of the 1 percent only a fraction make it to breeding age...how many of us in this HOBBY buy a juvi fish and it makes it to breeding age? me myself i have raised goldstriped maroons 3 of which where about 3/4 of an ich when i bought them...1 was given to me, and another i just bought and he might be 1" the other 4 are of breeding age..what im getting at is that the fish we buy from the ocean have a better life in our tanks even if we do kill them from ick they still lived long then they would have in the wild...my 2 largest clowns have been breeding for well over a year and none of the babies have servived...why?? becuase im not set up to care for them...i think when i build my next tank my smaller maroon tank will turn into a baby maroon tank to be sold off, my point is if we put effert into keeping our fish alive we 80% of the time i would say do keep that sickly fish alive...and i would have to say thats alot better then the 1% the ocean offers thats my 2cents...would like feedback if anyone would like to put some info in there or inlighten me on that subject

reefmate75

Originally Posted by fishfinder
I have to agree with Reefstar22, it is just a hobby. You can never truly call it a natural ecosystem. Yeah, it might be self-sustaining, but it is still unatural and certainly not the Ocean. How many venturi protein skimmers do you see breaking the surface over the Great Barrier Reef

On the flip-side, I myself like to learn from others and not push the limits of the hobby. I am what most people on here would consider a responsible reef keeper. I provide the best environment possible as suggested by other members/"hobbiests." For example, I wouldn't attempt to keep a Moorish Idol. In defense of Reefstar22, it takes people like him to take the chance on a Moorish Idol to figure out successful ways to keep the fish. You never know, he could be the person who finds a break-through method to keep this fish with a success rate that exceeds the failure rate???
Success doesn't come without risk and failure. I hope most on here aren't so niave to think that our hobby hasn't greatly evolved from people like Reefstar22 who are willing to take a chance. This may should extremely harsh, but some fish end up being very similar to lab rats...sorry it sounds so harsh, but it's the best analogy I could come up with.
Somebody has to be the inovator/inventor!

not tring to be a smart ass here...but when them waves roll into the shore and push up on the beach...i would call that a pretty dang good skimmer..but the better part is theres critters that live on that beach that eat that stuff, so its better haha.
about the lab rat part..ive been there and done that with success...and i get burned for it to this very day..i used to experiment with maroon clowns...in the wild they live in groups...some as large as 50 maybe more cant do that in your tank huh? well yes you can i have 5 together right now 4 of breeding age 1 i just added thats a juvi...but it takes the know how and i can say i never killed any learning how but i put a few through great pain learning..people say when a clown swiches to female it can never go back to male...that ius faulse, ive dont it...and sence when clowns are kept soliter they become female...how can you add a new clown to the ones you have? experiment

sh2000

3k for that tang? Thats pathetic imo unless you enjoy collecting rare fish. I think It's not worth it at all, nor do I fancy it. I like the Chevron Tang,and about 10 other tangs over that one. that are 1/30 the price.
maybe if you buy it get it insured lol.

sh2000

One of the most photographed fish at Aquarama 2007 is also one of the show's most expensive - a platinum arowana with a

[hr]
inducing price tag.
The fish is an Osteoglossum species from South America, rather than the usual Scleropages from Asia, and is owned by Singapore-based Dragon fish breeder Aro Dynasty.
Unlike most Osteoglossum, this mutant is virtually white with virtually no other colours present, not even on the dorsal surface.
It was recently offered for sale to prospective buyers by a UK arowana importer for more than £200,000.
However, Aro Dynasty told Practical Fishkeeping Online that the fish is no longer on the market.
It confirmed that it turned down S$80,000/£26,376 for the fish a few years ago.

ncognito

Reefmate, I am trying to decipher your last couple of sentences but with all the misspellings and incomplete sentences, I find it hard to do. I do believe you have your information wrong as it is proven in medical science labs that once females turn into males, they cannot go back. As for your last sentence, I believe you were asking how can you add another clown if one turns into a female in solitare. It is possible for a clown to stay male through solitare as well. I just don't think you actually know that males turn back to females unless you have some other information that simply discredits what Ichthyologists already know to be true.

reefstar22

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
That's not really true.
Reefstar promotes smuggling illegally harvested liverock into the country. That doesn't advance our hobby.
Reefstar purchases and keeps species in habitat known to not be suitable.
Our hobby is advanced by people thinking outside the box. That said, purchasing a creature ill-suited for your tank and rolling the dice to see if it survives is hardly a "scientific experiment".
Yeah, I smuggled live rock in to 2 countries. - Had it tucked between my kidney and stomach.
I had the rock in a shopping bag, in my HAND as I walk through customs and stated " Its a rock " - They looked. - I walked.
Point is, I'm saying dont spend your live savings on things at the pet store because you " think its safer " - You ever buy a diamond without asking if its a blood diamond? - No...bet not... Every shop at a large chain store before the mid-90's for a diamond? - Most were blood diamonds.
You cant pick and choose your battles. I'm sure if people broke it down theres alot of " illegal " activity going on in the aquarium industry, its just not happening to people its fish.
My point was if your going to start a 500 gallon + tank and you need rock, you'd be an idiot just to go to the store and by it. - You should make a vacation out of it, and research an area of the world where YOU can pick out the rock and have it shipped home. - Either way its going to cost you around $5k.
On the topic of the fish....holycrap you can NOT accuse me of being the only person to try new fish in a tank. - I lost 1 STINGRAY. - The rest of done completely well with experimentation and I have a tank that shows the results. How many of you can say you have a Blue Ribbon Eel?- I don't think there is another member on this board with one alive and eating as long as mine - If I'm the only person trying new things then thats a sad sad day for this hobby.

I'm glad the great painters of the world stood there ground against sticking to the norm, or we'd never have great paintings like Mona Lisa, Scream...etc

ncognito

Regardless on whether it was in a bag, out of the bag, tucked between you kidneys and stomach, or rectum; it was still illegal. Although you may have told them it was a rock, you didnt tell them EXACTLY what or where you got it. So that being said, you knew it was wrong and you still did it. Don't compare diamonds to this as it isn't even in the same ballpark. Your whole idea that people are idiots if they buy liverock from their lfs is they need a large amount shows just who the idiot really is.