Nice fish, very expensive.

travis89

Hitchhikers are that stars, corals, crabs etc that come on LR when you buy it. Some of these can be bad to have in your tank, like a mantis shrimp.

travis89

Originally Posted by SH2000
what's so bad about hitchhikers ? and what exactly is a hitchhiker ?
Hitchhikers are that stars, corals, crabs etc that come on LR when you buy it. Some of these can be bad to have in your tank, like a mantis shrimp.

1journeyman

what's so bad about hitchhikers ? and what exactly is a hitchhiker ?
As noted, any rock that is purchased needs to be treated as "suspect".
A hitchhiker is any living creature that is in the rock when you buy it. Some hitchhikers like corals, sponges, worms, pods, stars, etc. are beneficial and desired. Some hitchhikers like gorilla crabs, mantis shrimp and anemones are detrimental to our tanks.
I prefer curing rock myself. The fresher the rock the more critters you can get.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
I'm saying for cost. You can ship it that way cheaper. -Planes work, but do you know much that is to ship that kind of weight?
Issue is its ROCK. - It only needs a bit of biological material to live, once it arrives and cures everything will take its course.
Reef, that's where you are making your fundamental mistake. Live Rock is called "Live" because of the critters it houses. Pumps, sponges, sand, etc. can all house bacteria easily. While dead base rock can eventualyl house this same bacteria, it can't ever provide the massive biodiversity found in a pound of fresh live rock.
The cost of live rock is largely based on the expense of flying it into the States from the islands where it is collected.

sh2000

Any chance you can get a blue sponge from LR I've been looking to buy one of those for a while can't find it anywhere!!
My LFS cures thier own LR (I assume this is done when you see a 250 gal. tank with only LR in it being filtered all the time)..they want 6-7 dollars for live Fiji rock,cured. I have to say it some of the nicest LR I've seen with the coloring..etc.
I'm also assuming when you buy it in the LFS you can put it directly in your DT.
I'm curious about Mantis Shrimp..is that a pistol shrimp? I looked it up it says they're peaceful animals ??? So I'm confused to what a Mantis Shrimp is and why everyone has crazy stories about them...like they killed off every animal in the tank. Can they kill corals? How do you know if you have one if you didn't cure your own LR ? Most people have trouble getting this Mantis out...Can someone please enlighten me, I appreciate the help, sorry if this is too many questions.

1journeyman

Mantis shrimp are not Pistols.
Mantis are very aggressive predators. There are two types; Slashers that prey on fish, and Snappers that pop inverts.

nctarheels

if you still have questions i would start a new thread where all of the focus will be on your questions... possibly in the New Hobbyists forum, and check out this thread as well. More specifically the tabs "a list of common hitchhikers" and there are other threads that are very helpful on this page. but again, starting your own thread will help a lot as well.

steelgluer

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Actually you cannot collect fish without proper permits called CITES, collectors license, import taxes to the US and to the country in which it is captured and removed from. ALL which is not easy to get or do. So diving for it, finding it, capturing it and then filing for permits, paying all the taxes, shipping, cost to go to the area, diving equipment....(not confirming that you will even capture one right away so numerous dives might be needed) is more than the actual cost of the fish.
Now comes the live rock issue. It is not legal for just anyone to go out and pick up live rock out of the ocean. Parts of the ocean that are designated for live rock collection are already assigned, purchased, and guarded by those companies that filed with their countries Wildlife and fisheries agency. You also as an individual would have to file for extensive amounts of permits to collect and since you are not from the country of origin, they generally do not allow individuals or companies outside. So as you see, it isnt easy. By the way, the MAIN REASON
why this fish is so expensive is that it is found between the depths of 32 and 192 ft. Nearly all fish that are very expensive are found in deeper waters and therefor they cost more. So you see, the price suits the fish....
Actually for example your Harlequin Tusk that cost you the consumer anywhere from $99.00 to $125.00 at your lfs. It costs them your lfs $8.00 to $12.00 thats shipping included. How do I know this? Because I do. BIG mark up isnt it. But thats what makes the world go round. $$$$$

scarface

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
By other LFS that i hate tried to sell me a tang for 4000. It was solid black, a cross breed of a scopas and some other type. My tank is a 55... they knew that and they said it was fine. I never go there anymore. Ridiculous prices, and not that knowledgeable. Even though it is considered to be the best on the east coast. Greenwich Aquaria is waaaaay better.
awesome store!!!

ssssoma

What about the monkeys they test for medical purposes? Or the rabbits they do tests on? - What about the tests they put animals through to make your make up and perfumes better?
What about the medical testing they put forth in the middle ages? What about that? With out that trial and error we would be no where near where we are in modern medicine. Try new things, learn from the mistakes and move forward.
Only mistake with my stingray if anything was the type of sand I had, other than that the tank was set up perfectly for it. - Now I know, if I want a stingray I need softer sand. - Documented and its going to be added.

How is that different?

Modern medicine is a necessity for us to live our lives like we are today. What you do with your saltwater fish is not.
Again, you've brought up a completely irrelevant analogy.

sh2000

Going To Hawaii And Plan On Bringing Back Some Corals Shells Fish Whatever I Can Find..is It Legal Cuz It's In The U.s. Thanks

1journeyman

Going To Hawaii And Plan On Bringing Back Some Corals Shells Fish Whatever I Can Find..is It Legal Cuz It's In The U.s. Thanks
Hawaii has some very strict regulations. In fact I don't even think it's legal to have an aqurium with live rock in it in Hawaii.
You muuuust check with Hawaiin State officials...

wangotango

I think you'd be disappointed with how little coral there is in Hawaii compared to the western Pacific, and I really doubt you'd be able to catch a fish very easily.
Like Journey said, check the legality of it all.
-Justin

reefstar22

If I were you I wouldn't take any thing from Hawaii, its protected waters, you get caught taking anything there your in deep doo doo.

1journeyman

If I were you I wouldn't take any thing from Hawaii, its protected waters, you get caught taking anything there your in deep doo doo.
Again, check the legality from the US Fish and Wildlife and Hawaii Parks and Wildlife.
Not all Hawaiin waters are "protected". Collectors are allowed to harvest fish though I don't know what permits, lisences, etc. are required.

firerescue

i would have to agree, do not take anything from there. There really is no corals there and unless you want to stay longer in a nice 8 by 8 room. You may not have customs but you do have to go through agriculuture before you leave and they might not like to see live fish plus it is protected waters. Before you are even in hawaii you have to fill out an agriculture form saying what if anything you are bringing in as far as fruits and animals.