niger trigger growing?....

jamiefisher

so i was just looking at the fish avaliable and it listed the max length on a niger trigger at 12-16 inches. mine is maybe 3 and not getting any bigger. ive had him for about 6 months in my 55 gallon tank. could he be a slow grower?

marco

I read that the minimum for a trigger is 75 gallons and it should be fed three times a day. How often do you feed it and what are you feeding it?

demosthenes

Even if they are well-fed a tank that size will stunt their growth. I would trade him in, if any LFS allow that, and get a better-suited fish.

beach bum

While a tank upgrade will be necessary, a 3" niger is fine in a 55g tank IME, it shoud not stunt his growth, that is a myth. A 75g and a 55g are both 4ft. long, it's a minor difference in depth. Think more in terms of length when you upgrade - 5 ft, 6ft, etc...
I suspect he is growing, but you look at him everyday so you just aren't seeing it. Triggerfish can grow slowly as compared to most other aggressives. Why don't you take a photo or two now, and compare them six months down the road?
hth

b volitans

the trigger should be more than fine in a 75g for the time being... now when that fish does start grow you will definitley need at least a 100G tank...I agree with the last post...you look at the fish all the time...you probably don't notice the size difference.

tankstolove

It will grow to the large fish it was meant to be. You will eventually need a larger tank. Triggers are loved for that very reason by many. Slow early growers, helps when the money is tight and you can't afford a larger tank.
The whole growing up to fit the size of fish, you need in order to keep a small tank is a huge commonly believed myth. If a man was raised in a cell 4x4 he would still grow to be 6'

insguy

I have a niger trigger, in a 55 gal, with a clown trigger, miniatus grouper and a yellow tang and have had for a year. He came in about 2inches and is not quite 4inches now. I have a relationship with a good quality store locally and they will take him back for store credit if he gets too big. I look at it this way. I have a nice set up. I will get a bigger tank when I can however, I will just trade for a smaller trigger when the time comes. It should not be a problem for a couple of years.