Niger Trigger illness

scotts2002

My son has a 55 gallon tank overflowing into a ten gallon tank below. He has approximately
2 -3 inches of live sand in the 55 and 1-2 inches of LS in the 10. He has a protien skimmer and mechanical filtration on two powerheads in the 55. He needs to do a better job on upkeep -- keeping the tank clean, which we are addressing.
In the tank he has a 12" snowflake eel, a small 2" damsel, a 3-3.5" wrasse and the Niger.
The niger is approximately 3-4". He is eventually going to get a larger tank.
The niger has been, is, eatting very well. Recently it began fighting something. It looks like ich possibly mixed with Brooklynella.
Are Niger's suseptible to Brooklynella? I know it is a pretty hardy fish because the tank had ich about 4 months ago and we did hypo with good results, but the niger did not develop ich. Then my son got the wrasse at the LFS and about 2-3 weeks later the niger began showing the current signs.
Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you describe in detail what you are seeing on the fish, and/or the behavors of the fish. If you can post a picture that will be helpful.

scotts2002

I have triied to take a picture, but it is very camera shy. Just when the cmera is focused it shoots away.
It has some white spots on it that look like salt - the ich. My son, nor I, have never noticed it scratching itself on rocks
In certain spots it looks as if it is secreating, spelling?, excess slime - mainly along its spine from just behind the dorsal fin up towards the head.