niger trigger - invert tank help

bscott105

I have an invert tank with a chocolate chip, a few sea cucumbers, and hermit crabs. Trying to dress the tank up with a niger trigger - Any thoughts

cindydeck

my humu humu trigger ate all snails, crabs, starfish and even a goby. hope you have better luck with yours!

nycbob

niger is one of the few triggers that is consider reef safe. i hv one in my fowlr. he hasnt bother any inverts.

nick76

Originally Posted by bscott105
If not a trigger, possible a puffer? Trying to dress up an invert tank with one fish that stands out.
Puffers No, even dwarf puffers will occasionally snack on an invert from time to time.

mie

Niger, blue jaw are the two triggers that you should be ok with. Mine dont bother any of my inverts. My son has a hawaiian blue puffer with inverts and no issues. IMO these fish are so fun and neat that the occasional snack on a hermit are a small price to pay.
I would be more worried about having a sea cucumber before i would worry about a trigger eating the occasional hermit.
They can cause your tank to crash if they die due to there toxins. Very common problem with people that have owned them.

danweb

i've had niger triggers in almost all of my tanks in the past four years and i know that they are safe with inverts but not with other fish. every

[hr]
i have had has killed at least 2 or 3 of it's tank mates, and they get very big and very aggressive in short amount of time. the only way i've kept calm is to keep them by themselves or with bigger, more aggressive fish.