Niger Trigger reef safe?

volitan

I have read, on this site and many others, that Niger Triggers are not reef safe, but I have seen several pictures of reef tanks with Nigers in them. Can anybody tell me why this is? Are they, or are they not reef safe?

D

diatom

Volitan~
Niger's are one of the few triggers that are considered semi-reef safe in general.
For the most part they will leave everything alone in your reef except for crustations and occasionally small fish. I had a niger in my FO system and he was quite shy and well behaved...but you could easily end up with one on the oppoiste end of the spectrum.
I would consider putting one in a reef if you have suitable companions for him.

jacksonpt

I have a niger in my reef and I've had very good luck with him. He shows no interest in any of his tankmates. Although I do realize that he is a trigger, so the time may come when he will cause a problem.

How about a Huma Trigger In a FOWLR system with hermit crabs, snails, and a couple of shrimp, but with lots of little hiding places for them in the rocks. What do you think?

sonny

The Huma huma trigger will eat the crabs and probably the snails too! They are not reef safe. The Niger triggers are considered planktavores, and some will not even bother shrimps. Just watch them if you try to keep shrimps with them.
Sonny

predator

I had one in my reef and he did fine with everything in the tank. I moved him to a fowlr tank later though. But my brother put a niger in his reef and it was a damn wild animal. It ate evrything but itself. He set up a predator tank and put him in with another trigger(huma) and a snowflake. The damn niger killed them both. And has killed evrything else he's tried to put in the tank???????Now he's a lone fish in a 180 gallon tank.

tiffany

I had taken mine out of my past reef tank because triggers love to chew lr! Niger is one of the safer ones thought, undulate trigger is one of the worst, they are famous for picking up small pieces of coral and lr and moving them around. My tank had a niger and an undulated, the niger chewed and the other moved. Just watch your Niger....