Niger Trigger

rickt4du

Hey all, I usually do quite a bit of study before adding fish to my reef but, a cute litte blue/gray trigger sweet talked me into buying her...im kind of fish poor at the moment so it gets along well with a dragon wrasse and a percula clown but what about my critters? any suggestions...do most triggers end up behaving like i have read they do? sure would like to keep her lfs will swap if i want him to...thanks....rick

percman

well rick i wish i know the answer.....but i dont......im sorry ya havent gotten any responses yet..........you'll get some soon this board is usually quite active.........
jon

mr . salty

Well,I guess I'll put my foot in the door.Although you have fallen in love with the fish,I hate to tell you ,your "critters are in great peril with this fish in the tank.And pretty much anything that moves is also in danger of being LUNCH.Remember,the Niger is an aggresive,meat eater.And when they get hungry it's not a pretty site.Especially when his pretitory nature is aimed at one of your favorite fish. I may be predjudice,because I had a very bad experiance with his very close cousin,the Humma Humma.In a matter of minutes,while I watched in horror,he Killed four fish.And injured two. ......STEVE

greg

i agree with the over all mentality of riggers being bad and dangerous.however i also took pity on a niger and he has never gone after an item i did not place in the tank for him as food.so my expierence says that nigers are the most docile.no way to judge them all as a group but just my 2 cents good luck

jaws

My Huma Huma is preatty docile. I have to buy larger turbo snails and he has preatty much left the 5 crabs alone. I bought a niger the other day and the Huma wouldn't let him out of the bag. There were 4 holes in the bag when I took the niger back out of the tank so I returned him to the fish store. I am now looking for a new tank to start a reef in.

veskas

C'mon guys.....why stress yourself out. Triggers are for Predatory FISH ONLY tanks!!. Not a reef tank. They'll fo after your crabs, snails, shrimp & small fish. They're REAL messy eaters & will move your rock around locking themselves in to sleep. I know.....I have a Niger & Picasso in my 180 FOwLR!!

xavier

All triggers are messy and predators. Once in a while you may get lucky with a docile one, but do not chance it. If you want smaller fishes and invertebrates do not buy triggers. Once you do you are stuck with that set up.

kris

I would have told you not to buy--but since you did- Nigers are supposedly the most "docile" of all the triggers but that doesn't mean he is trustworthy. Take a headcount every day, and if you start losing fish or critters then take him back. Good Luck

tjswanson

All I have to say is this: The niger could be trouble or it could end up being the most docile fish in your tank. Triggers are unpredicable. I, like mr. salty, don't really care for triggers. You never know the niger could end up being just fine. The so called "reef safe" triggers are: Pinktail Trigger, Bluechin Trigger, Crosshatch Trigger, and Sargassum Trigger. TJ

rickt4du

I've had him for two months today...he's a bully when it comes to eating (what a pig) but, he's not overly aggressive...
I can't believe this post is still alive after this long

...rick