Niger trigger

bkvreef

I had posted a question on the reef forum.
Is a niger trigger compatible with:
coral beauty
chromis
perculas
green brittle star
six line wrasse
hermits and snails
(I don't have any shrimp, I've heard the trigger would like them
)
I have a 55g now,
But am hoping to upgrade to a 135g

95harley

I'd bet your snails and crab will get hit quickly. I'm looking at one of these as well to go with a Lionfish. I have been getting a postive response so far, but it seems the smaller the tank the more terroritorial they get. I'm concerned with my 75g I'd be REAL concerned with a 55g.

durgeonman

Nigers are generally reef safe. some of them may eat your crabs and snails but it depends on the individual. i would buy the smallest one i could find if it was you just to be safe.

toan

i have 2 triggers in a 26g,
niger + picasso they get along just fine, as for snails/hermits mine havent attacked or knicked at any. if you feed them, they wont bother anyone
both triggers are about the same size give or take 1/4"

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Toan
i have 2 triggers in a 26g,
niger + picasso they get along just fine, as for snails/hermits mine havent attacked or knicked at any. if you feed them, they wont bother anyone
both triggers are about the same size give or take 1/4"
i'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. both of these fish will reach over a foot in length.
anyway, most motile inverts probably won't survive with a niger trigger long-term.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by 95Harley
I'd bet your snails and crab will get hit quickly. I'm looking at one of these as well to go with a Lionfish. I have been getting a postive response so far, but it seems the smaller the tank the more terroritorial they get. I'm concerned with my 75g I'd be REAL concerned with a 55g.
I am actually looking at getting a 135 this weekend, so space will not be an issue.

hatessushi

Blue Throat Triggers are just to cool....get one....I just got one and it's in QT now. I put him in 2 days ago and he started eating in about 2 hours after putting him in. Now he comes out and looks at us. He is studying us and figuring out his strategy for training us...

cwgibson

my niger hasnt bothered any inverts:snails,crabs,shrimp. i really think it depends on the fish and how much you feed him. much too large for a 55.

bkvreef

I keep hearing that trigers are too big for a 55g. (By the way I got my 110g today, his dimensions were off but still a good deal)
Is it because of their size or their swimming habits or them being territorial?

cwgibson

mostly size, triggers can get big i think the smallest species would be the crosshatch at about 8-10 in. ill check that for sure later. the niger will get around 12-14 in at least which in a 55g that is 12in wide would not give him much room to even turn around.

vanos

It will take years for a Niger trigger to reach 1 ft. in length in a 55 G. I bought mine when he was 3 1/2 inches and now he's almost 6 inches and that was almost 2 years ago. Sometimes he chases my blue tang and blenny and he's especially aggressive when it's time to feed.

toan

lol, you guys act like these fish grow an inch every month or something, these triggers are 2 1/2" long, i'd give them 1.5-2 years till they get to at most 5 inches. and by that time, i would just go to a LFS and trade for a smaller one. big fish dont impress me much, they tend to lose color and require a lot more feeding. my 2 cents

vanos

Originally Posted by cwgibson
you have a blue tang and a niger in a 55?
Yeah, I actually have 5 fish in my 55.
Niger trigger 5 1/2 inches
Hawaiian puffer 3 inches
Lawnmower blenny 2 1/2 inches
Tomato clown 3 inches
Blue tang 3 inches