Niger Trigger

benj420

I have a 75 gallon with a picasso trigger, panther grouper, and a yellow bellied blue damsel. The trigger and grouper are about 2 inches and the damsel a little over an inch. Everyone gets along fine now. I would like to a Niger Trigger to the tank that is about 2 inches as well. Will any of these guys grow to be problems? Will two triggers get along if they are roughly the same size?

azeritis

I added my triggers together in the tank. The picasso is smaller than the niger, about half his size. However, if you do not have problems with the introduction of the new fish, I believe that thhey will be too confined if a 75 when they grow, which may lead to fighting, stress etc...
I am adding a three spot angel in my set up, and I was planning on adding finaly a harlequin tusk. But I think that this will be too much load for my tank.
By the way, how long have you had the picasso? If he gets too well established in the tank, it will be really hard to add any other fish.

jumpfrog

I have a niger with a picasso. The picasso was in there first, also about 2" at the time. Added the niger who was about 3". I haven't had any problems but then again it's a 6' tank. I think the 75 would get crowded before too long. If you plan to upgrade soon you should be alright.
Here's a group pic with both the niger and picasso.
Good Luck!

crashlk

You will be upgrading soon, or the picasso will be making short work of the niger.
Once the picasso starts maturing, he will be going after the more peaceful niger (yes the niger is peaceful compared to the picasso)and it will be from behind where size will not be an issue for the picasso.
Keep an eye on them. The picasso will casue the niger to hide and it might not come out for food and die, or just kill him outright.
Sorry for the bad news.

polarpooch

jumpfrog:
Nice coris wrasse. Easy to keep or a pain in the butt? Is it reef safe or aggressive? Have heard mixed opinions.

I would not keep a coris in a reef. The tend to pick at things and any hermit or smaller shrimp in the reef is going to get turned into lunch. I watched one roll a red leg hermit over and extract him from his shell with surgical precision. The also tend to flip mushrooms and non stinging corals up to see if anything is hiding under them. They are good in a FO or aggressive.

jumpfrog

Our red coris wrasse is a great fish. Stays out all day unless something scares it (me putting my arm in the tank for instance:rolleyes: ) Even then dives into the sand and comes out after a while. Not aggressive but certainly assertive. Holds it own in the tank.
Like snakesnfish said: can't keep in a reef tank. Constantly turning things over for food. I throw in some new rubble once in a while just to give it something to do.