Niger12's Biocube 14 Slow Evolution

niger12

I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years and purchased this Biocube over two years ago. Well I got a wild hair up my *&^* and decided to set it up. It is going to be an SPS dominant tank with maybe one clam. I will be doing an LED conversion in a couple of weeks then the shopping for corals can start. This is going to be a very slow evolution since funds are much tighter than they have ever been before. Still need to order my Reefkeeper and ALC to control the lights.
I have knocked out all the false floors in the first two chambers. Added a Mediarack with filter floss, Purigen, and Chemi-pure Elite in chamber two. First chamber houses a 50w Stealth heater. Removed the tab between chamber 1 and 2 to increase flow also opened up the surface skimmer by cutting every other slat. Upgraded the return pump to a Maxi-jet 900 and added a Koralia Nano. Roughly 17lbs of live rock and 15lbs of live sand.
Got board staring at a empty tank so I added a few items this past weekend.
1 Black Ocellaris
4 Margarita Snails
3 Hermit Crabs (don't remember what kind)
2 Super Tongan Nassarius Snail
1 Small Hammer Frag
SG: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Cal: 420
Dkh: 11
Nh3: 0
No2: 0
No3: 0-2.5
First night after getting things going

Have these little guys popping up all over.

As things progress I will try to add picks

niger12

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3243991
how long has your tank been setup and cycling????
The tank has been up since 2/14/10. I was able to cheat a little and the LR came from a well established reef. Was in a tub with lights and skimmer for 1 week prior to set up. Rock was not out of water for very long. Created an NH3 spike and things stabilized very quickly. I have done 2gal water changes for the last two weeks. No sign of a NH3 spike after adding the inhabitants. Really almost had no cycle time what so ever.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Niger12
http:///forum/post/3243999
The tank has been up since 2/14/10. I was able to cheat a little and the LR came from a well established reef. Was in a tub with lights and skimmer for 1 week prior to set up. Rock was not out of water for very long. Created an NH3 spike and things stabilized very quickly. I have done 2gal water changes for the last two weeks. No sign of a NH3 spike after adding the inhabitants. Really almost had no cycle time what so ever.
that is really good. well i must say i love the tank alot!
super amazing it is!

niger12

THis is the best close up I can get with my crappy camera. There is a few on another rock that sprouted first. They are more pinkish in color and have longer soft tube bodies. Look kinda like Xenia to me but I am not sure. What do you think.
I have what I think are hydroids on another rock. Waiting for Joe Juice to come in and try to rid myself of them.

niger12

Well should have some updated photos soon. The LED lighting, Reefkeeper and ALC are on order and should be here bfore the weekend. Once the the lights are in I can start to add corals.
Also added a Sixline Wrasse. Could not help myself. They are one of my favorite fish.
Now I am trying to figure a way to plumb in a sump for fuge and skimmer without drilling the back. Should have planned that before setting it up but I told myself I would keep it simple and it has not turned out that way. That idea pretty much went out the window once I got water in it.

niger12

Finally finished the LED install. I like the look of the lights. Very similar to MH. Now I just need to figure out all the ins and outs of the ReefKeep Lite and the ALC. The times worked today but I was not around to watch them ramp up. I have the ALC to ramp up intensity to 70% over a 40 minute time period. Sunday will be shopping day for a couple new SPS and possibly a clam.
Could not figure out how to get a good picture with my little camera. You can see the MH like shimmer on the back of the tank. Pictures do not do the color justice.

clownser

LOOKING GREAT! My LED lights just came today so I will have to install them this weekend! Cant wait to get some corals in my tank either! :)

niger12

Have made quite a few additions in the last couple of weeks. Tons of sps and a small clam. The big Monti was totally brown (only $9) and color is starting to some back nicely. Ordered most of the frags from a guy in Oregon. He says they should color up in 4-6 weeks. Now just testing everyday to get my dosing schedule down.
Sum plans have been completed and the overflow will get tested this weekend. If all goes well it should be complete in a couple of weeks. Going to add a 20g to increase volume and stability.