Night Lighting

oregonbud

Hey all,
I have read some posts about people using the blue rope lights around their hood at night as a low light source - I was planning on doing the same thing, but in going through some old boxes I found a 36" long set of blue small christmas tree lights - the total wattage for the whole string is only 14.4W, and there are 32 bulbs - so each bulb doesnt emit a ton of light - I was wondering if anyone has tried using something similar for a night light, or if it would be a waste of time to use them and just go get the rope light?
Thanks,
OB

enomadra

I use a 18 foot rope light from Home Depot. I then got a plastic rain gutter and the end caps for the gutter (again at Home Depot) and put the rope light in that. At first I tried to hot glue it into the gutter, but the next morning it had fallen out (becuase the gule melted from the heat of the lights). So I then drilled holes in the gutter and used nylon tie straps to hold it in. Worked great. Add a little aluminum foil under the rope light (make sure to crinkle it up) and it give a great effect of the moon light dancing of the water into the tank.
Christmas lights may work but I might be worried about the little metal contacts that each light has.
Hope this helps.
:D :D

tarhull87

enomadra,
Do you happen to have a picture of that set up? With the rain gutter you are talking about. I just bought the 18' blue rope light. How would I go about mounting it like you said?