Nike's 10g Nano.

nikesb

Hello guys! The names nike cause i collect nike SB's as another hobby. I've recently ran across this place and love it. I'm in the process of getting a nano-tank together. I use to have a 55g reef 8 years ago. My tank has already cycled and am now in the process of choosing my lighting for the tank.
this is a current usa 40w 10000k/actinic. I like how it already has a built in lunar light. but my question is if its enough to handle corals (lps, soft corals, zoas, etc) no sps.
this is made by catalina and is a 2x36w fixture. again 10000k and actinic. This is the cheaper of the two. Will this do better for corals?
if there are any others within this price range lmk. im in college and money is hard to come by

So far the tank has got some live rock (15 lbs maybe) and live sand and is housing a clown and six line wrasse. both are doing well

will get pictures tomorrow!

jon_fiasco

whats up nike, first off all i wanna be the first to tell you welcome back to the swf hobby... i read your name and i new i had to post on your thread... i also happen to be a nike sb collector about 15 pairs deep i no its a small collection but over time money got tight so ive put that hobby on hold...
what kind of heat you got..?
if wanna check out my thread here's the link since your a vet. i would like to get your feed back
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/361852/brand-new-20g-setup

nikesb

ah i got rid of most of my old heat (sold my purple pigeons, dino jrs, and some other stuff) needed money for books. now i only have gold boxes LOL (angels and demons, boba fetts, clubber langs, easter prod II, azure blazers) its sad really. once i get a job, i wanna pick up some money cat lows and newcastles asap (semi-heat) but theyre my favs
anyways i see ur tank has come along well. I LOVE THE CITRON

jon_fiasco

damn dude i dont think ill ever be able to sell any of my sneakers... i think the most hyped of my collections are the hawaii's and the bucks... i have the new castle vnds.. only worn i think like 3 times if im not mistaken... very under rated those new castles.. a lof of my stuff is a mix between gold and black boxs... i got the bloody sundays, pee wee hermans old spice guns n roses just to name a few what size are you
i love the money cat lows and high those are on my hit list long with the brain andersons dr dooms are another on my hit list those are just a few that i wanna cop and just store them away...

katsafados

Get the first lights! I'm really happy with mine. They look very nice also on the 10g. The lunar light looks nice also specially if you point a power head to the surface, you get ripples like real like oceans at night. The only thing I didnt like but kid of liked, the lights come with seperate plugs for each light plus the fan. Wasnt expecting that so I have to buy more power bars. Bu on the otherhand its good since all my lights are controlled seperately on their own timmers. Even the fan! It shuts off once the moonlights turn on to make the tank quiet since its in my room.
I wont tell you my stock list because I think you already know it so yeah.
I'll be following your thread to see what ideas you can give me haha:p
15lbs of LR hows that working out for you? arent you low on space now? I only have 8lbs, I wish I bought more though. More places to put corals!

nikesb

i think i exaggerated. LOL im more at 10lbs i think. one rock is just ridiculously heavy but its really small. well the current usa one pictured is just a 1x40w so its only going to have one chord. thats why im so torn between the two. if i get the 2x36w i can get away with a 7.2:1 ratio instead of 4:1 and control my actinics and 10000k differently. and i do really like the lunar light (i need it cause for some reason these fish are blind and get sucked into the pump) LOL. if i can muster up the money to get the current usa fixture u have, thats for sure my choice

nikesb

i wasnt able to take a picture today because i cant find my damn charger. anyways i dropped by an LFS today and the guy there suggested that i dont get the current 1x40w becase it is a half 10k half actinic bulb which he said they just dont put out the way u expect having the two seperate bulbs, with that being said, i think im gonna go for the other fixture unless i can get a great deal on the current 2x40w.
on another note. i purchased another percula today. at first they were fighting and now theyre swimming beside each other with sudden movements one in awhile, does anyone know of this is normal?

jon_fiasco

my percs are also fighting with eachother but at the same time there like best friends its so funny they look like the perfect couple the fight and then make up lmao

sounds pretty normal to me

nikesb

scarin the crap outta me. back in the day i just had one gold banded maroon clown and that thing always bit me. im just afraid that the clowns might stress each other out :[

jon_fiasco

they may just be establishing dominance between eachother.... im prety sure its normal behavior... are the juvi's or adults??

nikesb

yah ive been looking for my camera charger and cannot find it. i may have left it at my uncles house and i wont be going there til wednesday

jon_fiasco

nike im gonna be following you along cause i wanna see how your six line does are you planning on addin ne thing else to your tank

nikesb

as for fish. i think this is my max
2 ocelaris
1 six line wrasse
its so weird... they all swim together
anyways, i found this
would this be a better opt even itll hang over? i dont mind it hanging over if its gonna be better for corals.

jon_fiasco

i wish i can help but im still new to coral i ask meowzer she always seems to have good info and valuable advice
even nissan could give you some good info i would ask them

nikesb

i am now thinking of getting t5-HO bulbs. i have found a 96w fixture. is that overkill? or would 48w be just fine for easy sps corals?