Nissan new 29 bio cube Diary

nissan577

hello my fellow fish mates.
i just went to my local fish store today and bought a 29g bio cube for 160!!!!!!!!!! im so excited!!!!!!!!!!! tank saids 250 but i drop it to 160!!!!!!!!!!! so this is what i plan to get:
1 sixline wrasse
1 flame angel
1 clown goby
and for corals as many i can

now my other 3 tanks in my room wont be lonely

nissan577

I know me either. I plan to put like 20-30lbs of lr and 20lbs of ls. But I want to make my back filter turn it to a refugium. Can someone help me on how I can make it? Or can I make it both? Using the bio balls and refugium?

nissan577

anyone? i wanna have it ready before friday. i read other thread but i dont get it. maybe if someone can explain it better

rebelprettyboy

In the back of th cube scrape the black paint off of chamber 2. Take the bioballs out. take out the flase chamber of chamber 2 at the bottom. Easy to take out just put ur hand in there to find it. Then add LR rubble and some cheato. And buy a little clip on light for ur cheato

nissan577

i was wondering if i can put some mud on the side to grow other algea and were the water goes to the pump put rubble. is that good? i will make a drawing in a bit and show it to you guys. but what do you think?

subielover

That works, only thing I would say is consider removing the sponge if you intend to put pods back there. I would think it would hinder them getting into the display
Can't wait to see it up and running

nissan577

yea i was thinking of removing the sponge. but rebelprettyboy said to scrape off the black of the back of the tank. do you know why? yea i know i cant wait either. i went to my lfs to get my lr with ls. but then i realized i can use my cycle water with some of the lr from my 75 gallon tank. it was set up but everything crash. so its been cycling for a while already. but i was thinking of getting black sand.

subielover

As far as scraping the black off of the back, I did that originally as well. My first set-up had a light that I had attached with velcro, with the black scraped off the light could go directly in the fuge area. However the velcro refused to hold the light, due to the heat. So that is when I made life simpler and got a submersible light.

spanko

Have seen others do this. I have a problem with the LR in the bottom. It in itself generates detritus that will lay on the bottom of the chamber where it is almost impossible for you to get to and remove. Here is a picture of what I did with mine, albiet a lot cruder than yours.

nissan577

ok. but i was looking to upgrade my light. it has a 2 36 watts for a 29 and i believe thats to little. should i get a bigger light? or leave it? and also if you can, can you please put a pit of your sump so i can see it? thanks

nissan577

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2752747
Have seen others do this. I have a problem with the LR in the bottom. It in itself generates detritus that will lay on the bottom of the chamber where it is almost impossible for you to get to and remove. Here is a picture of what I did with mine, albiet a lot cruder than yours.
i saw this in your thread but i didnt really get it. can you explain it to me? i would really appreciate it

spanko

First chamber has the false floor removed with an Oceanic skimmer and a 100 watt Stealth heater.
Second chamber has a hang on tray on the wall with a pad of carbon filter and a pad of phosphate filter, then the chaetomorph algae and on the tray on the bottom a bag of Purigan and a bag of ChemiPure Elite. Hanging over the top is an Azoo light for the Chaeto.
Thire chamber has the return pump and the float valves for the automatic water top off pump.
Picture of the drip tray

Piture of the back chambers

nissan577

thanks spanko.
i had to read it a couple of times to get it. but finally i got it. and how does it work for you really good? and do i leave the tray at that bottom on and put it with a bag of Purigan and a bag of ChemiPure Elite?

spanko

Take the floor out of the first chamber. Leave the floor in the second chamber the bags of chemical filters are layed on the bottom tray so that the water has to go through them to get to the third chamber. Remover the sponge. he skimmer works well enough. It is not high end by any means but it does collect some dark brown colored water so I know it is doing some good and it was only like $39.