Nitrate/algae problem, will these products help?

sugarfox03

Hey everyone! I am having a nitrate/algae problem in my tank. I told the people at the LFS my story, and they recommended I use these two products:
1.) ALGONE - "Water clarifier & Nitrate Remover" to remove the nitrates
2.) Seachem's Reef Builder - "Raises Carbonate Alkalinity" to help cut down on the algae/red slime cyano.
I plan on testing my alkalinity prior to using the Reef Builder stuff.
Has anyone used these products before? Is there any reason why I shouldnt use them? I hate putting anything in the tank that isnt supposed to be there, so I am really cautious about using these products, and wanted to get some other opinions first. I'd much rather do it the hard way and just live with water changes, but I do want to get my nitrate levels down to a healthy level, so nothing in the tank suffers. Thanks in advance!

lion_crazz

Neither of those products will help, as Beth said. If you can provide info about your tank, we can help you figure out the problem.

scsinet

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
I hate putting anything in the tank that isnt supposed to be there, so I am really cautious about using these products, and wanted to get some other opinions first.
You have the right mind set.

I'd much rather do it the hard way and just live with water changes, but I do want to get my nitrate levels down to a healthy level, so nothing in the tank suffers.
Do you even do water changes? It almost sounds like you aren't...?
Water changes are part of it and unavoidable. There are natural ways to reduce it, like using vegetable filters (fuges), but it's not the answer if you aren't doing the proper housekeeping items to begin with.

sugarfox03

I have posted all the info in other threads in the Nano section, so don't bash me for posting it all again!

My tank:
24 gal AquaPod
AquaC Remora Skimmer
No sponges, rings or bioballs (removed them)
Instead have a mini fuge with 3-4 lbs live rock rubble & chaeto in the right chamber, with a 5100k bulb on at night (been set up 2 weeks now)
I have around 30 lbs live rock, maybe more, lost count
20 lbs live sand
I do weekly water changes, between 2-5 gals, but this week I did 10 gals because my nitrates were around 100.
I have been doing everything I am supposed to do. I use only ro water, I don't over feed, if anything I underfeed! I use a small pinch, and make sure everything that is not eaten is scooped or sucked out, but normally everything is eaten. I havent used my coral foods in awhile, I'm afraid to, so nothing has been dumped in the tank as far as other foods. I clean my skimmer box 3-4 times a week (every other day.) I have 3 fish, all under 2-3". I think thats all, let me know if you need more info.
Thanks in advance for your help!

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by Beth
What is your source water? And how does it test pre-salt mix?
I get all of my water from the LFS, they are one of the largest and longest standing stores in the area. I have tested their water for everything, and it was perfect. They use the same water in their tanks, and they are beautiful.

scubadoo

You should not use them because they will not work, could pollute your water and cause NUMEROUS problems.
High nitrates and cyano can be addressed through good husbandry practices and identifying the source for the nutrients in your system.
No magic bottle or holy grail water can do this for you.
Many additivies will cause just what you are trying to reverse/correct.

sugarfox03

Thats my problem, I cannot find what the source is. I do everything right, as I have researched and been recommended. I do weekly water changes, I have the fuge, plenty of live rock, I dont over feed. I ordered a new salifert nitrate test, maybe there isnt a problem at all.

scubadoo

Thats my problem, I cannot find what the source is. I do everything right, as I have researched and been recommended. I do weekly water changes, I have the fuge, plenty of live rock, I dont over feed. I ordered a new salifert nitrate test, maybe there isnt a problem at all.
You could have flase reading on your test kit. ALso, I would never place any water in my systems where I was unsure of what was being used as the fresh water source. What is the phosphate level in the lfs water? Any other psossible nutirent soucre contianed in their water could also lead to high nitrates and/or cyano. Just a possiblity.

sugarfox03

Well, looks like I found the problem. My new TDS meter came today (thank you to whomever mentioned this!!!) and the TDS is at 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My fricken tap water is better than their RO water at 180!!! I just called the store and spoke to the manager. The said they replaced all their filters 5 months ago, carbon is replaced every 30 days and they test it weekly. He said they just tested it on Saturday and it was at 40, is that not still high at 40?! I'm appalled, shocked, stunned...I dont know what to think!!! This is supposed to be a really good LFS and I'm just blown away at this. All of my problems are because of their stinkin' water that I have been using!!! :mad:
:scared: