nitrate level 140 ppm

snowripper70

I have a 65 gallon tank with 3 triggers and a clownfish. All are in excellent shape and condition for the last 2 years. For the last year or so my nitrate reading has been well over 140ppm. I clean this tank once a week (10-25 gallon change) but still get a high nitrate reading. I just purchased a nitrate reducer and i'm currently waiting on it to arrive. Does anyone have any more advice on the reduction of nitrate. Thanks snowripper70@hotmail.com

mrmaroon

I am guessing that you do not have a protein skimmer...What kind of filtration are you using? Do you have a lot of green algae?

snowripper70

I have a fluval 404 filtration system as well as a protein skimmer. The protein skimmer is an amiracle. Yes there is some green algae present and has been present for some time. I added some liquid nitrate reducer about a week ago. Still high levels. Do i need to extend the tube that comes from the pump that pumps the water in the skimmer. Meaning: do i need to extend that tube down to the substrate. Thanks

snowripper70

I feed those fish once a day: one cube of prime reef and one cube of trigger formula or mysis shrimp or brine shrimp plus. So they only get two cubes per day.

mshur

HM....WHAT KIND OF TEST DO U USE,,,MAYBE U SHOULD TRY OTHER ONE.140 IS VEY ,VERY HI
WHAT ABOUT NITRITES?

snowripper70

I clean the 404 like every 3 months (carbon that is) and I dont have a crew. What do u mean by crew?? I use the DRY-TAB MASTER TEST KIT FOR BOTH SALTWATER AND FRESHWATER.
There is no ammonia present and no nitrites either. And yes I do have that green algae that never goes away, even after cleaning once a week. Can anyone recommend anything for getting rid of that green algae. Its weird, the fish are and always have been in good health. thanks

doh

I used to use that test kit and I always had 140+ nitrate for about a year then when it was used up I got a hagen test kit and it said I had 50ppm nitrate. thats just my experience...mabey I wasnt doing something right when taking the test but anyway...
Jon

templar

Maybe it's because you have 3 triggers in a 65g tank? That seems a bet excessive to me. Besides that you should clean out the canister more often. The waste that collects in the bio-media inside of it will add to the nitrates.

fish fry

3 triggers does seem exessive. Do they all get along? Less fish would lower the nitrates. Sometimes the filter media can cause an increase in nitrates as well.
HTH
Fsh Fry

mrmaroon

i clean up crew consists of at least snail( usually turbos and astreas)and hermit crabs..scarlets..blue legs and maybe star fish or shrimp. these will eat the green algae which is present because of the nitrates and will help tp lower the nitrates by eating stuff from the bottom