Nitrate Problem !! Help Quick Please

E

exile415

nitrate went up like crazy ! how to lower it .. QUICK NEED HELP. thanks

mudplayerx

What is your nitrate reading? Do any of your critters looks stressed? Has anything died or have you changed anything about the tank?
A 20-30% water change is good to remove nitrates, but I would first like to know what the cause of them problem is. Are you sure your test kit is accurate?

snowchic

For freshwater we do water changes everyday to bring down problem chems... just make sure you fix the problem or you'll be fighting a losing battle...

schadiest1

possible overfeeding, do you stir ur substrate by hand? feed every other day to cut down on nitrates. do you have any sort of a clean up crew?

E

exile415

I have done a water change and its lower now. My coral beauty died about a week ago. Everything seemed fine. I checked my water and this is what showed up:
tempature-79
salt-1.024
Nitrite- 0.5
Nitrate - around 100 Eeeek
Ammonia - 0
pH 8.0
I did a water change and here are the readings now:
Tempature 79
Salt - 1.022
Nitrate - 60
pH - 8.0
Ammonia -0____
I am terrifired. I never had this kind of nitrate. I don't know if my fish can even LIVE.
Im going to the LFS soon anything good to pick up that can help me with my nitrates ?
Please leave a message soon ..

schadiest1

chemicals are only a temp. solution. add them, but make sure you find out the direct source of your high nitrates. like bigarn said, run carbon. also ask ur LFS for advice, they should know exactly what they have on the shelf to help you. good luck.

lion_crazz

Amquel does not work well for nitrates at all. The only thing that will bring them down is huge water changes and correcting the problem so that it does not happen again.
Two questions for you is how often do you do water changes, and how often do you feed? If you want to list your tank size, fish in the tank, and filters/skimmers, that would be helpful as well.

E

exile415

"Prime" is the only thing i have. Does anyone know if this is good ? If it is im not using my gas to go to my LFS. It says it detoxifies Nitrate and Nitrite. So I guess this will work.

E

exile415

I may need to go to my LFS tommorow, My Prime bottle is half-full. So if there is any other suggestions on other kind of med. thanks a lot guys.
Oh yeah you tihnk my fish will die ... I'm praying

75bownut

I had about the same thing happen to me when I put in uncured live rock and this is what I did. 72 gallon bow tank, ( day one )did 10 gallon change,( day 2) 25 gallon change, (day 3 )10 gallon change and added that nitrate absorber from seachem, added new charcoal, ( day 4) no i skipped a day at this point i was at 40ppm nitrate, (day 5) 10 gallon change, (day 6 ) 10 gallon change an added refugium sp?,(day 7) 10 gallon change, and never looked back . now im at 5 ppm all the time , I think the success with that has been because i only feed everyother day and the refugium system, I now use ro/di water and I dont add chemicals to my tank except for trace elements once a week with a 5 gallon water change. Hope this helps!!! :yes:

schadiest1

depends on what fish you have. some fish are very sensitive to high levels, some aren't. are your fish known to be hardy? i hope so, for your sake and theirs

75bownut

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Amquel does not work well for nitrates at all. The only thing that will bring them down is huge water changes and correcting the problem so that it does not happen again.
Two questions for you is how often do you do water changes, and how often do you feed? If you want to list your tank size, fish in the tank, and filters/skimmers, that would be helpful as well.
I agree fully , work for me if you read my earlier post. :yes: THE SOLUTION TO POLLUTION IS THROUGH DILUTION!!!!!

E

exile415

Amquel doesn't put prime does right. I don't have a skimmmer. I am running a fluval 404,3 powerheads and uv clarifier. So i have to do a water change everyday right. I only did a 10g water change and i have a 60 gallon. from 100 to 40-60. thats a big difference to me. My question is if prime brings down the nitrates... I will continue to do water changes.

75bownut

Originally Posted by exile415
Amquel doesn't put prime does right. I don't have a skimmmer. I am running a fluval 404,3 powerheads and uv clarifier. So i have to do a water change everyday right. I only did a 10g water change and i have a 60 gallon. from 100 to 40-60. thats a big difference to me. My question is if prime brings down the nitrates... I will continue to do water changes.
NO it does not . The water changes are the way to go.

E

exile415

Then what does it mean when the bottle says: Detoxifies Nitrate and Nitrites .. Just wondering ... I will continue to do the water changes & how logn do you think i need to do this ?

75bownut

Originally Posted by 75bownut
I had about the same thing happen to me when I put in uncured live rock and this is what I did. 72 gallon bow tank, ( day one )did 10 gallon change,( day 2) 25 gallon change, (day 3 )10 gallon change and added that nitrate absorber from seachem, added new charcoal, ( day 4) no i skipped a day at this point i was at 40ppm nitrate, (day 5) 10 gallon change, (day 6 ) 10 gallon change an added refugium sp?,(day 7) 10 gallon change, and never looked back . now im at 5 ppm all the time , I think the success with that has been because i only feed everyother day and the refugium system, I now use ro/di water and I dont add chemicals to my tank except for trace elements once a week with a 5 gallon water change. Hope this helps!!! :yes:
This worked for me , im sure if you add the prime it wouldnt hurt , but at levels that high i dont think it would put a dent in it. As i did this i checked my nitrate level everyday just before i did a water change, i waited at least 8 hours after a water change to check it again.

E

exile415

Alright, Thanks a lot guys ! hopefully this nitrate will go away in about a week. If the nitrate is low this saturday, you think i can get fish on sunday ? because its 50% off
. thanks again