Nitrate problem help!!

paulidee

I posted a problem I was having with nitrates last week. I found that my RO water had nitrates coming up with it and it caused a spike in the nitrates in my tank. Well I got new filter cartridges and I retested my RO water for nitrates and it comes up 0.
The nitrate level in my tank is 80ppm. Since I received the new cartridges I did two water changes and the nitrate level has not gone down yet.
I have a 58 gallon tank and I did a 4 gallon change on Friday and then I did an 8 gallon change last night.
What should I do, some of my corals are really starting to suffer!!
Thanks!

paulidee

Does it matter if I do a large one or several small ones?
What do you use to mix up 15 gallons of water in?

coraljunky

I use 2-45g garbage cans, a little mixing station I created. Use a few 5g buckets. Buckets are extremely useful in this hobby. Do a 10-15g water change every 2-3 days and test every 3 days. Just my 2 cents

paulidee

So if I get a new plastic garbage can from the store I can use that as is? Do I need to clean it in some way?
So you fill that with RO and mix the salt and then fill the 5g buckets to bring it to the tank?

coraljunky

Originally Posted by paulidee
So if I get a new plastic garbage can from the store I can use that as is? Do I need to clean it in some way?
So you fill that with RO and mix the salt and then fill the 5g buckets to bring it to the tank?
You can mix it right next to the tank and then use a powerhead to transfer the water into your tank. I setup a pump system that I use with a water house into the house. I wish I had a picture to show.

ocellaris_keeper

A 58 gallon tank should never have more than 8-10% water changes or you risk a chance of recycling the tank.
Nitrates are part of the nitrogen cycle and specifically the beneficial bacteria that consumes ammonia and nitrite.
There are some chemicals that help but there has to be some method - I believe the plenum system may be the only answer

paca444

"A 58 gallon tank should never have more than 8-10% water changes or you risk a chance of recycling the tank."
I routinely change up to 10 gallons of water in three of my 30gallons... never have had any problems. Often changing a large quantity of water is necessary to lower nitrate levels substantially. I find the best method is to lower the water level to a 1/3 of the total and then fill it back up to 1/2 and then lower it back to a 1/3. Repeat several times. Your nitrate level will go down substantially .
"Nitrates are part of the nitrogen cycle and specifically the beneficial bacteria that consumes ammonia and nitrite."
Were they trying to actually say that nitrates are bacteria? As if you need a high nitrate level to complete the cycle?

paulidee

Well I bumped up my water change to 15 gallons, which I did twice since the last post. My nitrates are still not going down according to my API Nitrate Test.
Any ideas?
I tested the RODO saltwater that I mixed and it has a 0 nitrate reading.
Could I be doing something else wrong?

m0nk

Originally Posted by paulidee
Well I bumped up my water change to 15 gallons, which I did twice since the last post. My nitrates are still not going down according to my API Nitrate Test.
Any ideas?
I tested the RODO saltwater that I mixed and it has a 0 nitrate reading.
Could I be doing something else wrong?
Get your water tested by your LFS too, so that you have something to compare your results to. Do you have any other test kits?
There was also the question posed of whether you have a sump/fuge setup. If so, chaeto will definitely help, so you might want to get some of that growing your fuge.

paulidee

I had it tested by my LFS with the same results before I started doing the larger water changes. Maybe I will have it tested again.
I have a sump, but not a fuge. I assume Chaeto is a plant that goes in a fuge. Can I just put it in my sump? I don't have room for another tank for a fuge? Do I need any special equipment for it?
Thanks!

teen

Originally Posted by ocellaris_keeper
A 58 gallon tank should never have more than 8-10% water changes or you risk a chance of recycling the tank.
Nitrates are part of the nitrogen cycle and specifically the beneficial bacteria that consumes ammonia and nitrite.
There are some chemicals that help but there has to be some method - I believe the plenum system may be the only answer
you can do a 50% water change, possibly even more IMO and not have a tank cycle.
are you saying nitrates are bacteria?
and plenum isnt the only answer. its actually a horrible answer.

paulidee

The thing that puzzles me is that I have done a 30% water change once a week for three weeks and my nitrate level stays the same when I test it. I would have thought that it would come down a little after each water change.

m0nk

Sounds like the nitrates are being "stored" somewhere in some way. Do you have any areas of your sandbed that have excess detritus and/or doesn't get any flow?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ocellaris_keeper

I too disagree 100% with this statement, Nitrates are a result of your cycle not a part of it. Your cycle is composed of Waste, and bacteria. In the various stages of your cycle it produces amonia, nitrites and nitrates but those are by products of your cycle.