Nitrate Removal System

clayton

What system do you mean? If it is for anaerobic bacteria then you can make your own and put it anywhare (well almost!).

bobsingh1

A Nitrate removal system. I saw this piece of equipment at www.championlighting.com called a Nitrate Reductor Reactor. It uses some kind of deniballs denitrification media which eats away the nitrates.
I was talking about that. This is a fairly expensive piece of equipment. Please let me know if there are alternatives other than very frequent water changes.

terry

Hi there. I use a Nitrate removal system in my tank and it works great. The piece of this peace of equipment was fairly expensive. Around 500.00 It does use deniballs denitrification media which eats away the nitrates.
It is a good alternative than very frequent water changes.
Terry

porkypuffer

I'M BUILDING ONE WITH PLANS THAT I GOT FROM DOITYOURSELF.COM
WELL NOW I CAN'T FIND IT. I GUESS IT'S A GOOD THING I PRINTED IT.
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 06-08-2000).]

the bus

I saw a nice unit from aqua medic while surfing: www.aqua-medic.de I think I'll buy one myself the larger one.
Originally posted by Bobsingh1:
A Nitrate removal system. I saw this piece of equipment at www.championlighting.com called a Nitrate Reductor Reactor. It uses some kind of deniballs denitrification media which eats away the nitrates.
I was talking about that. This is a fairly expensive piece of equipment. Please let me know if there are alternatives other than very frequent water changes.

reptilicus

I've got one. It's called a Deep Sand Bed seeded with live sand. It sits on the bottom of my aquarium like all sand does. I've got about 3" of 0.3mm diameter aragonite sitting on the bottom of my tank and it works brilliantly as a nitrate removal system.
HTH,
Tom

clownfish

IMO, the best and easiest way to remove nitrates is a live sand bed and plenty of live rock with a good skimmer. The owners of the best LFS in town use the Berlin Method and live sand and never have nitrates ever.

reptilicus

Hi,
the modified Berlin system (ie including live sand, the original Berlin system does not include this as it was not discovered yet) does seem to be the most effective and easiest method of nitrate reduction. Lighting is important but IME lighting only works as well as the system will allow. For example, if you have 1200 watts of MH lighting but high nitrates and phosphates your tank will still never look good. However, once you have mastered your water parameters lighting does seem to be the next most important factor.
Regards,
Tom