Nitrate

ladd

I can't get it down! It stays at 25. I do regular water changes, every 2 weeks - 15gl. Any ideas?

peter

Of course you want to keep your nitrate as low as possible to keep a healthy tank,you say it is at 25ppm that is not that bad and I would not be overly concerned. I have heard it can be as high as 40ppm in a fish only tank.Keep doing those water changes and dont overstock,also try to keep from putting inverts and coral in such a small tank it is too unstable.

ladd

Ok, I'm sorry, I forget to give details each time, I was trying to hurry. It is a 75gl tank, I do 15gl water changes every other week. And I am worried about my corals. I have a piece of live rock that has 3 freebe mushroom corals on it, I think that they are all dead. I just saw one of my other mushrooms looking weird. The center "dot" seemed to have purged out. I thought something was sitting on it but I watched as it went back in itself. It was a pink flowery looking thing comming out of the center. From what I have read, nitrate at 25 is border-line deadly.

kris

25 is too high even if it were fish only. Some sources say up to 40 but even more say under 20, and I say under 10 even lower with inverts. Have you tested your water supply??? Do the products you're using contain nitrate?? Try exchanging some of the media in your filters with NitrateSorb , I think Kent Marine makes it. Not too much though as you don't want to lose too much matured media.