Nitrates---->Environmentally UNfriendly??

seahorse11

I have been cycling my tank for about 2 weeks. I was testing the parameters this morning and when it came to the nitrates, the instructions said that it is dangerous to the environment and to discard according to state laws. What do you all do with the testing solution after you get the results? I didnt want to dump it down the drain so I didnt test for it. All other parameters are fine. Do you put it down the sink or toilet? Also I was going to add a filter on the back now that I put in a cocktail shrimp to continue the cycle. Do you put on the filter during the cycle or wait till its done? Thanks.

cain420

i havent heard of such a law... i am sure that there is noone sitting where your water comes out of the pips, testing it to see if you are dumping them in.. mine go down the drain.. i never heard of that..
i had all my equipment up and running from day 1...

my way

Do you have a filter on the tank now? If not, hook the filter up right away as you really have no place for your bacteria to colonize. If you are worried about the left over testing fluids put them in the grbage and let them evaporate. I doubt if the little amount down the drain will harm anything.

cain420

Originally Posted by My Way
Do you have a filter on the tank now? If not, hook the filter up right away as you really have no place for your bacteria to colonize. If you are worried about the left over testing fluids put them in the grbage and let them evaporate. I doubt if the little amount down the drain will harm anything.
that is going to stink up your garbage cans! chances are that your tap water already contains nitrates...
where did u hear about this law???

my way

The tast kit is only about .10 of an once, how is that going to stink up the garbage can? Unless of cours you never empty it and then it's not going to be left over test kit water that stinks.

cain420

lol.. i run my water down the drain for a good minute after pouring mine out... they smell.. maybe my sense of smell is stronger then yours.... mostly, i dont care for chemical smells..

kimgpk

It's not the Nitrates itself it is one of the chemicals to test for Nitrates. I read the same thing in my pamflet. But the way I read it's only one of the three chemicals you use to test your water for Nitrates. It says that you are suppose to rid it like Hazerdious Waste. How ever you are suppose to do that. I run the hot water then dump it down the sink. Depending on your test kit it's only like 5 drops of the stuff.

seahorse11

Right Kim, one of the testing chemicals is considered hazardous waste. But I guess its unanimous, down the drain it will go. I dont have a filter on the tank now. I have 2 powerheads, a heater, 2 airstones, some LR and LS. I didnt think there was anything to filter but MY Way, you make a good point. Where is the bacteria colonizing? Guess its time to set up the filter.

cain420

maybe since i work for a garbage company, everyone can bring it here and i can properly dispose of it... if you are that consiencious about it..

seahorse11

Cain, where are you? Can I send ALL my garbage to you?? LOL.
I am conscientous of the environment because I live in the woods and I have alot of animals around here. I dont want to put anything in the water or soil that will harm/kill them. But I guess a few drops will be ok.

cain420

contact your city and find where the nearest hazardous waste drop off center is.. it would be the same place that you take your wet paint when u want to throw it out... thats right.. the garbage man cannot take liquids! thats another thread on another site tho.. but most cities or counties have a drop off.. same it up in a glass jar and take it up there when u get more

j-bird

Down the drain they go.
Cain, you must have a very powerful nose, I can not smell any of my chemicals.

cain420

haha my smell cant be all that great if i been pickin up some nasty trash for years... nice, juicy, maggot smelly, stinky, moldy, etc.. maybe u should see your nose dr. lol..