Nitrates in Nano...

mrextc

How do you all keep your nitrates low in a nano tank without a skimmer or refugium? I just got one...I don't have a protein skimmer, using carbon and bio-balls...I think i want to change my bioballs out and use purigen or something other than bioballs as i know they can be a nitrate factory ...my nitrates are around 20.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mrextc
How do you all keep your nitrates low in a nano tank without a skimmer or refugium? I just got one...I don't have a protein skimmer, using carbon and bio-balls...I think i want to change my bioballs out and use purigen or something other than bioballs as i know they can be a nitrate factory ...my nitrates are around 20.
Do 10-15% water changes every week.

G

garychef1

Having the correct bio load is half of the nitrate problem. I.e. having 3 yellow tangs in a 14 is way too much, but having 2 clowns in a 14 is perfect. The higher the bio load the greater the risk of having trate problems. For my 14g i do 3 gal weekly water changes which is like 30-40 percent due to all the LR i have in it. Also, the best nitrate solver i found was "POly Filtration Pads" At my LFSs they are 16 bucks ea but online you can find them for like 6 bucks each. The take out the causes of nitrates and phosphates. Siomply principle, kill it before it grows. They work great.

Here's what I did as a result of research on this site (partial thanks to DeMartini) to lower nitrates
put a plastic suction cupped bathroom stuff holder on back of tank with macro algae inside (now it is covered with calcarous and you don't notice it)
got rid of sponges bioballs and ceramic rings in back and loaded it with already cured live rock rubble (hit with hammer to break into small pieces) !st and 2nd chambers and put carbon back in 2nd chamber added filter floss to 1st chamber to catch excess food change every 3-4 days
nitrates have been great since then 0!!!!! MBintraining

nano reefer

i had my trates areound 50 when i came up with my own custom method, i gathered info from various websites, stores, and books. My trates haven't gone above 10 ever since.
The foundation of my filtration system is the "poly filtration pads" they dont kill off nitrates but they take out what cause nitrates, they kill the trates before they start. The way i use the pad is that i took out the carbon cartridge, and i custom-cut a piece of the pad to fit in the cartridge. To do this cut it to fit the cartridge, then cut slits half way through pad to fit over the plastic cross beams. The pad also removes phosphates copper, and other bad things. It wont take out trace elements.
Take out bio-balls and the top trickle tray, but leave the bottom strainer in. IN this middle chamber you can do loads of things. I have phosguard and carbon in the chamber. You can also put LR, Seachem Matrix, and other filter media. For the first week or so of my tank when i had trate problems i ran purigen and the pad, when i noticed the trates were low i took out the purigen and just have run the pad. Each pad lasts about 3-4 weeks in a nano,and online they are 5 bucks a piece, at my lfs they are 16.
Be sure to have plenty of LR in the display for bio filtration as well.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by peef
IMO less technology and more biology go the natural route

but technology is so much fun!! all the awesome toys out there