nitrates

howf777

Hi all
I had my 12 gal nano for about 3 months now. The first month the water quality was great. The past 2 months the nitrates have gone out the roof (30+ ppm). I change about 1.5 gallons of water every week and even started doing half gal changes mid week. I recently purchaes novaquel (i think thats how u spell it) nitrate/chlorine/ammonia remover. Lable claims to remove 13 ppm for every dosage. I have done about a total of 6 doses and nitrates still around 20-25. Any other suggestions? I think this is why all my fish died and a crab. But all my snails, sea star, and 3 corals are doing wonderful. Please help.
THanks

overanalyzer

First - welcome to SWF and the Nano forum!!
Second - that stuff you added does not export the harmful nutrients - not sure what it does - but the only way to filter out the nitrates is to remove or export them some how.
Third - what are you using for filtration? If you have filter pads/hong on tank filters or anything like that - change out the filter pads immediately!
Fourth - post as many details about you tanks as possible:
Set-up - filtration - fish - feeding schedule - how you mix up make-up water - etc.
Sorry forhte loss of your fish but the bad water chemistry is most likely to blame!

howf777

Thanks overanylzer
I have the 12 gal nano cube by jbl. Not sure wha type of filter it is. I know there are 2 big black sponges, 1 bag of coal, 1 bag of porcelein rings, and about 5 bio balls
I have about a 2 inch sand bed, 8 lbs of live rock, 5 nassarius snails, 1 turbo snail, 2 blue leg hermits, 2 scarlet hermits, 1 bumble bee, 1 small star about 1.5 in in diameter (not sure about the name). 1 mushroom coral, 1 frogpspawn, 1 hammer head (all frags)
I don't feed them too much since all of them are algae eaters. I put in 1 sinkin wafer each morning. I do add additives - some additives
I buy salt water from the store and I basically take a big cup and take out 1.5 gallons and replace it with the same amount.
Thanks

stevebk

Hey, this thread is a week old, but I'll post anyway. I'm running the jbj nano-cube myself, and have beaten the nitrate problem finally (knock on wood). A few things I can offer:
The stuff you bought is either amquel or novaqua, both products made by Kordon. I would personally stop using these as an ammonia/nitrate remedy, because they just 'lock up' these toxins and don't physical remove them. Also, once they get chemically saturated, they have been known to suddenly 'release' all of what they had absorbed, doubling the problem in your tank. Additionally, this is a quick fix solution, and doesn't really address the problem of where the toxins are coming from.
That being said, your nitrates could be coming from a number of places:
-You may have overstocked your tank to begin with (not sure from what you listed). The tank is only 12 gal., and it's hard to not put many fish and corals in. From your list, I think this is what happened- how many fish were there?
-You may have been overfeeding the fish and inverts, and excess food could have converted to nitrates. You said you don't feed them too much though- are you feeding your corals?
-You may try doing some larger water changes if you can do it without disturbing the tank too much- maybe 4-5 gallons?
-The filter system may not have been functioning properly. With all that rock, I think this is unlikely, because you should have had plenty of good nitrifying bacteria in there already. I'm assuming the rock was fully cured when you added it? As for the actual filter in the tank, those black filter sponges should get rinsed regularly to get rid of any detritus that is decomposing. (Try and keep one over the intake on the upper left side, so water has to flow through it to get to the filter box. If you do that, the rest of them shouldn't need to be rinsed, but doing that I know mine gets pretty nasty if I don't rinse it.) As for the rest of the stuff in there (ceramics, bioballs, etc.), leave it be so the bacteria will grow on it.
I keep mine even purer by doing regular water changes (2gal./week) and keeping some feather caulerpa. This is a good-looking macro-algae that should be available at your local fish store. It's been really beneficial in absorbing the nitrates that the fish produce and supplying oxygen to the tank. I recommend reading up on it and then considering some sort of macro-algae for your tank. There's probably some good threads on this website.
I guess that's about all I've got on this subject- sorry about the really long post. I'm not a PhD, but I've been in the hobby about 10 years now, so I'm confident this is good advice. Anyway, if you have questions, let me know, and if you think of anything else to post, please do. Good luck, and don't give up!