Nitrite and nitrate levels?

joker3762

I unfortunately have been neglecting my tank for a long time. I have had 2 clown fish in the 100g tank for a long time. Only 2 fish. My tank was disgusting algee covered every side of the tank. and all stuff inside. I have been cleaning and maintaining it for about 2-3 weeks. It is all clean now and I no longer have an algee problem. However my nitrites are at .25ppm and my Nitrates are at 20ppm I have been doing cycles and I believe most of the bad water in the tank has been reduced to almost nothing. I have a all-glass filter with bio-balls. Super skimmer Protien Skimmer. UV light and a Sand Bed about 1"-1.5" deep. What should I do to lower my Nitrate and Nitrite levels to get them to almost 0ppm? My Ammonia is at 0 and my ph is 8.2
My Clowns are Small. about 1.5" and 2"
Thanks

jackri

Sounds like you're on the right track. Your bio balls may need to be changed out -- I'm not overly knowledgeable on those but they can build up and start releasing 'trites and trates.
Keep up with water changes and use RO/DI water -- glad your coming around

joker3762

Thanks, The only thing i didnt clean yet is the Bio-balls. Do you think I need to? If so what is the best way to do that?

xcali1985

Originally Posted by joker3762
http:///forum/post/3162488
Thanks, The only thing i didnt clean yet is the Bio-balls. Do you think I need to? If so what is the best way to do that?
Take about 25% of them and some old WC water and shake them in it for a few secs them put them back. To remove nitrates you need WC or something that will consume it. Clams (hard to keep) or macro algae. I suggest a HOB refugium that will allow you to grow the Macro algae. When you trim it your removing nitrates along with phosphates. All my levels stay at 0 with my refuge.

spanko

Agree here, if you have not maintained the bioballs you are probably getting the nitrates from there. They are doing there job but need to be cleaned up once in a while. 25-33% at each water change. No scrubbing, just swishing around in the water you took out of the tank for the water change. You want to dislodge some of the accumulated detritus on the media. I suggest weekly water changes of at least 10% until you get the water chemistry where you want it then you can start to see if every two weeks will keep the nitrates down.

srfisher17

If you have no inverts (including corals), nitrates of 20ppm is nothing to be concerned about; its even on the low side for a fish-only tank. If you have no ammonia, and show nitrite, you may be going through a mini-cycle because of all the dead algae that may have resulted from the cleaning. My 2nd guess would be a bad nitrite test kit. BTW; there's a lot of newer info that shows nitrite is really not a problem in SW tanks.

dedecv3

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3162793
If you have no inverts (including corals), nitrates of 20ppm is nothing to be concerned about; its even on the low side for a fish-only tank. If you have no ammonia, and show nitrite, you may be going through a mini-cycle because of all the dead algae that may have resulted from the cleaning. My 2nd guess would be a bad nitrite test kit. BTW; there's a lot of newer info that shows nitrite is really not a problem in SW tanks.
I am fairly new to SW tanks but have been keeping freshwater fish for years and run a small pond/koi shop. Adding just a tiny bit of salt to a koi or goldfish tank will COMPLETELY neutralize the negative effects of Nitrite's to the fish & make it harmless. I have heard this is the same with all freshwater fish but I am not sure on that. I'd be interested to hear if salt has the same effect with SW fish being that they already are living in saltwater.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by dedecv3
http:///forum/post/3162799
I am fairly new to SW tanks but have been keeping freshwater fish for years and run a small pond/koi shop. Adding just a tiny bit of salt to a koi or goldfish tank will COMPLETELY neutralize the negative effects of Nitrite's to the fish & make it harmless. I have heard this is the same with all freshwater fish but I am not sure on that. I'd be interested to hear if salt has the same effect with SW fish being that they already are living in saltwater.
Here's some reading, it might help.http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php
But if a cycled tank continues to have nitrite and no ammonia; something is weird. Often the nitrite test kit.