Nitrite not going down - help

ashleigh234

We have a 20 gallon tank and it has been set up for 3 weeks? I think, but still hasn't finished cycling, we didn't use live rock or sand.
We had really high ammonia for a week, it was on 8.0ppm, everyone on this site recommended water changes, we did about 3 or 4 water changes, about 10% each one, the ammonia has dropped and has now been on 0 for the last week and is going fine.
Now, the problem seems to be the Nitrite, it has been on 5 for 2 weeks straight, I'm sure it should have come down by now.
The Nitrate has been on 10 since day 1, it jumped up to 40, we did a water change and then it went back to 10. Now sometime in the last 3 days it has risen back to 40.
We have a lot of algae growing in the tank, but I have been told this happens in new set ups.
I am thinking something may not be right in our tank, could the reason the nitrates have jumped up to 40 be that the nitrite is ready to drop? Just seems all odd to me.
We have a yellow tail damsel in the tank, he has been in there since a few days after we set the tank up, and has lived through it all.
Any ideas on how long it is going to take for things to come right?
Thanks for any help

dinogeorge

You can speed up the process by buying cultures bacteria that you add directly to the tank. Last year I had a QT that had an unexplained spike in Nitrite and Ammonia. Rather than spend my time replacing water for the next two weeks, I went into a LFS and purchased a small packet of bacteria.
Went home, replaced 40% of my water, and then added these guys to the tank. The results were quick and my tank was fine. If you do this, you need to remove your filter material. Otherwise the bacteria will attach themselve to it and then you'll end up throwing half of them away. Leave your filter material out for at least a day, then put it back.
BUT, the best thing to do is buy yourself some cured liverock, if you can find it. It MUST be cured or you'll just be adding more problems in your tank. Live rock will come with millions of bacteria, ready to chow down on your waste! In a small tank it sure won't take much. Just one piece would be better than nothing. And if you don't like the way it looks, you can always remove it once your tank gets established.