nitrogen cycle questions

willcon

i am just now starting to setup my tank, this weekend in purchasing the live rock. as soon as i get the rock im going to start the nitrogen cycle. i was curious if i should use any additives for the cycling process, or should i just go with buying a damsel and letting him go through it. any input would help alot!!
Thanks in advance for any input! :happyfish
:help:

fishieness

do not cycle with fish!!! it is cruel to purposely put a live animal in such a toxin environment!!!
as for additives, if your live rock is uncured it will be fine. Otherwise use raw shrimp from your grocery store. There are products to make the cycle go faster, or so they say such as bio-zyme. I dont think it makes too much of a difference and is always best to do it the natral way and wait the cycle out for a few weeks.

willcon

throw raw dead shrimp in the tank???
the rock is cured
what about products that have the bacteria in it??
Thanks!

ophiura

If you are buying LR, you already bought the best bacteria possible. Buying any of the products that claim to speed up cycling, or have bacteria is a waste of money.
All you need is bacteria, and an ammonia source. That ammonia source could be uncured LR (dead critters), it could be a dead shrimp, it could be fish food...or you could blow some money on a fish that you probably don't want to keep. The cheapest alternative is to use the dead shrimp or fish food, and it is also, IMO, a more humane choice (in addition to being less of a headache should you want the damselfish out).

willcon

Thanks for the help! one more question what is IMO? and jhow often should i test for amonia/nitrite/nitrate when i start the cycle???
Thanks alot!!

fishieness

IMO mean "In My Opinion"
you should test for all those things at least once a week for a new tank IMO ( ;-) ). During a cycle, that would also be good, a watched pot never boils.