nm reef

small time

i got a better deal than there price.my friend works at a vet office and gets me the stuff at wholesale. i have 2 boxes of 6 sitting here at the house. i'm ordering more intercepter this weekend.
michael

nm reef

I am tryin' to gather as much info as possible at a couple of sites on using intercepter...I can isolate my refugium from the treatment but how much damage will be done to my crabs/snails/shrimp....pods etc. in the main display? Also.....after finding out I have the nasty lil red bugs on a couple of my frags I've started to wonder just how extensive the damage from these little pests can be. Over the next few days I intend to read thru all the available info I can find but for now what info can y'all provide. The red bugs seem to be in small numbers on two small tenuis frags at the moment....I've looked over every coral in my system with a good magnifing glass and can't find any others.....this link shows the bugs.......

small time

i was reading somewhere else that there is a fish(suppose to) that eats red bugs. if i find the link i'll email it to ya.
michael

golfish

Originally posted by NM reef
I can isolate my refugium from the treatment

:confused: unless you take the fuge off line for good I don't see how will this rid your system of red bugs?
FWIW, this stuff did no harm to my shrimp or snails.

_kip_

like mark said, treat the whole system.. thats the only way you can be sure to be RB free
i pulled my hermit crabs and shrimp and treated the entire system... i went above and beyond the recommended dose (emulate me at your own risk) and everything did beautifully.
i ran the treatment for 4hrs... then ran carbon... then did a 20% water change... put the shrimp and crabs back in... havent seen a redbug since.
i may have had a minor reduction of ampipods, copepods, and isopods... but they quickly recovered.
now EVERY new acro i get in.. .gets an interceptor bath for a few hours.
it was worth every bit of effort and nervousness to do the treatment.

nm reef

Well....I guess I'm soon to be treating my system....and I guess in the future each new addition will be isolated and treated prior to adding them to the display. Do these red bugs cause serious enough problems to warrent such drastic measures? I see a lot of discussion about treating for them...but very little evidence of the seriousness of the damage they cause. Can somebody email me references to damage caused and any other potential problems associated with them?
nmreef@cox.net
I do have a lot of reference stuff to still look thru....and I'm aware of the treatment threads on other forums.......sure looks like I'll need to treat mine soon....ain't this hobby fun....just when you get confident and start feelin' good......WHAM....red bugs attack and mess ya up.....

_kip_

they basically feed on the polyp and even burrow into the coralite... over time polyps quit coming out... the coral cant respire and you get a bit of a melted look to the main branches
after treatment, those with severe cases of red bugs immediately notice better polyp extension followed by better growth and color
for a couple of months i chased them around the tank by just doing baths on afflicted corals... came to a point where i couldnt keep up and decided to treat the whole tank.
a couple of acros that didnt look so hot, that i never even saw RBs on looked a lot better after the treatment.
after you go thru all of this... be sure to treat all of your new acros in QT for a few hrs before putting it in your tank sp you never have to treat the display again.

squidd

I know how you feel...
I just had to do the "Flatworm" thing....
It was like "Flatworms...ME...??...No Way...."
Kinda makes you feel like a social outcast for awhile with some kind of unmentionable disease....
Then you find out sooner or later everybody goes through it....and your not alone...

I found it helps to think of them as an "alien species" attacking my world and then NUKE the little BA$TARDS into oblivion...
Bwahh...Haa...Haa...

Brings back good feelings of self worth, control, and accomplishment..:D

_kip_

oh.. in the beginning it was said that 3 treatments were needed at 1wk intervals
many have found out (including borneman) that 1 treatment does the trick -- it did for me and a few people i know.