No ammonia in my cycle yet?

squidworth

I have had 3 fair size pieces of shrimp in my 75 gal tank for 48 hours now. I still have no ammonia. How long does it take to start showing up?

mr . salty

Every tank is diferent,but it should start showing up soon.If you still have nothing in a week,then start to worry...

tyrfing

Mr Salty's right, if no ammonia in a week, be careful, you've got zombie shrimp.
Be patient. It's hard because you want to plunge in, but many of us who have killed off their first batch of fish can attest that impatience is the worst thing for your fish.
Your water should start getting cloudy pretty soon, and you'll be able to smell them (that's going to be time to take them out). If you still don't read any ammonia, then you have a bad test kit or your testing procedure is in error.
Be patient!

squidworth

The water is not cloudy yet, but it is starting to get a nice aroma! What would the points to worry about mr salty?
Would freshwater fish flakes work. I could add some tonight if you think that will get me going.

mr . salty

I guess "worry" was a bad choice.Nothing to really worry about,You would just need to try again.But give it some time,It will happen...Skip the flakes for now.What else is in the tank???(substrate,rock,filter)

cycle1

Can anyone help me out on this subject. As I understand, ammonia is a toxic element in the tank and if I understand correctly, are you trying to produce it? If so, help me to understand why if it is to be none present. Just a question so that I can understand. I am learning so please be patient!

S

sandy

Hi Cycle -- I'm pretty new, but I think I can explain. When you are setting up a saltwater tank for the first time there is no beneficial bacteria in the water. Beneficial bacteria builds itself from waste. It also destroys the toxic ammonia and nitrites generated by fish waste.
So when you put living creatures in a tank for the first time, they generate waste that turns itself into ammonia and nitrite then nitrate. If there is no beneficial bacteria in the water, the fish can die from their own waste. Once the bacteria is established for the amount of life you have in the tank... it will keep the waste and resulting chemistry from killing the fish.
When one sets up a new tank they will try to get the "good guy" bacteria established in advance by introducing waste (like fish food, or dead shrimp, some use hardy fish like damsels). Once the tank has cycled (grown beneficial bacteria)then it is safe to add fish and other life slowly. I hope this makes sense. There are some good books that would explain this better.
Sandy

squidworth

There is nothing except sand, and a wet dry filter. Going to add live rock next week. I was hoping to get a cycle behind me then add live rock to keep die off down. I know it will cycle again, but was hoping to keep the levels from getting too high with rock in there. I might be wrong on this idea, but I dont think I can hurt much.
Hehe I also needed to put together the capitol. This also keeps the wife from killing me from spending all that money from the family budget. Those damn kids always wanting food, clothes and daycare....greedy little buggers!