No cycle?

ap7x

Hmmm...it's been about 5 days since I setup my NanoCube with ~22 lbs of LR and 20 lbs of LS.
Today I just decided to check the ammonia, nitrite, and pH of the water.
Both ammonia and nitrite were basically at 0 (i say basically because my kit has a color range where the lowest for nitrite was < .3 mg/L. Ammonia is 0)
pH was between 7.7 and 8 (couldnt distinguish color that well).
Well, it was suggested by the LFS salesperson that I put in the LR and LS, wait about 3 weeks to cycle, test waters, and when its OK, its ready for the fish. But it seems the water didn't cycle?
Thing is, the LFS salesperson told me the LR he was giving me was from another tank they kept corals and such in. He was talking about how it was fully cured and full of life.
In fact, I did get a (what I am assuming) serpent starfish as well as a coral I have yet to identify on the LR. Then there are all those feather dusters and other signs of life as well
The LS is from a 20 lb bag of LS...I forget the brand right now. I think CariSea or something?
So basically I'm wondering if the LR was established enough from the other tank that a cycle wasn't needed and thus it's safe to put in fish now?

nudibranch

The LFS gave you cured live rock. It sounds like pretty good rock, I'd love to see a pic. When you add cured LR to a tank you don't really need to cycle the tank. Because the LR already has established bio filtration on it. Also since its cured that means there is no die off that will spike ammonia and cause a need for the tank to cycle. Test you calc and alk levels and as long as everything is stable you readdy to start adding stuff.

verde_ad

My 20gal cycled in a weekend after I put in my rock. I had the tank set up with my DSB and HOB filter on monday and then added my LR on friday, by monday the tank had cycled, so yours could have cycled in those first few days.
AJ

darthsimon

Guys,
I also have a 24 Gall Aquapod. Put in cured Live rock 4-5 days ago. I'm on day 7. The cured live rock is now covered with Brown Allgy, and other little orgs all over it. My tests are like the stated above. All 0 for Nitrated and trites. Amonia 0.. Ph 8.2... I also have 2 clown fish in there. Also added that Bac Solution... Is my tank cycled?

hot883

I personally think ALL of you are going to fast, A tank cannot/will not cycle in a week IMO.
If you think it is cycled test it. Without fish, start adding fish food and feeding the tank reguraly and see if you get a spike. In a 7-10 days of doing that; if you do not get a spike then you are ready for a water change and adding 1 fish.

hot883

Originally Posted by DarthSimon
Guys,
I also have a 24 Gall Aquapod. Put in cured Live rock 4-5 days ago. I'm on day 7. The cured live rock is now covered with Brown Allgy, and other little orgs all over it. My tests are like the stated above. All 0 for Nitrated and trites. Amonia 0.. Ph 8.2... I also have 2 clown fish in there. Also added that Bac Solution... Is my tank cycled?
Then again I am an idiot. Just checked the thread dates. Man I cannot stand it when people start back on a thread 3-4 years old.