no more royal grammas for me

cindyski

ok, a few weeks ago i bought my first one who is now presumed dead by the murderous damsels. got the damsels out and got another one this past wednesday. he had a nice little rock he hid under and popped out and about for 2 days, i know they like to hide but at least now and then i would see him and know he was ok.
yesterday, not a sign of him, today, not a sign of him. i have looked under and inbetween everything and nothing. hopefully he will show himself sooner or later. gonna do some water testing to see if i have any amonia spike from a dead fish. other than that i refuse to buy another one. all i can do now is hope that he is alive, and if not RIP. :mad:

birdy

I have had horrible luck with royal grammas also, everytime I get them, they have gill flukes or ich, the two I have tried never made it out of QT. I won't get another one either.

cindyski

Originally posted by Birdy
I have had horrible luck with royal grammas also, everytime I get them, they have gill flukes or ich, the two I have tried never made it out of QT. I won't get another one either.

well i guess i am not the only one then. they really looked very healthy when i got them. as i said i saw the damsels beat up the first one, then he was MIA, the 2nd was fine, but is MIA & yep i checked the sump
maybe i'll try a 6 lline next or a yellow tang :thinking:

pontius

since damsels are some of the most territorial fish available, and grammas are somewhat shy, it probably would've made better sense to put the gramma in first, eh?

cindyski

Originally posted by Pontius
since damsels are some of the most territorial fish available, and grammas are somewhat shy, it probably would've made better sense to put the gramma in first, eh?

i was one of the bad people that used the damsels when cycling.
BTW, they dont die during a cycle, so if anyone wants to have and KEEP damsels, i dont see a problem

pontius

my LFS guy said to start with two damsels and when the tank was cycled, return them to him and he would trade toward whatever other fish I wanted. I can't do that though becuase I'd become too attached, lol. I'm just going to let the tank cycle and start with two clownfishes.

cindyski

my LFS guy said to start with two damsels and when the tank was cycled, return them to him

yea after you spend eons of time trying to get them out! they should PAY you for your time :hilarious
what are you gonna cycle with anyways? i know it has been said you can cycle with clowns, but please dont do that.

R

rkhlk

I also cycled with damsels (sorry) but i have also become attached to them and they seem very docile they don't bother any other fish..maybe I got some friendly ones
rlhlk

doodle1800

I got rid of my damsels but have recently stocked back up due to their price and I like them actually. But... I have 2 others that can take care of themsleves, a six line wrasse and a tomato clown. I do however have a purple firefish and a regular firefish in there that seem to do fine so far.

cindyski

Originally posted by rkhlk
I also cycled with damsels (sorry) but i have also become attached to them and they seem very docile they don't bother any other fish..maybe I got some friendly ones
rlhlk

well that seems to be what everyone says at first, but the problem is they are territiorial so the entire tank is THEIR home and when you start adding different fish, sometimes there is a problem.
i liked mine, beautiful color got along well with my clowns and chromis (same family) was fine with my LMB but after that, forget it! (for me) my royal gramma wasnt in the tank for an hour and they were after it. :mad:
so i didnt want to take anymore chances with them and expensive fish (damsels are pretty cheap)
what else do you have in your tank with them?

legion

At one point I had 2 clowns on jumped out of the tank
and the other was basically killed by my blue damsel also
I should of removed him sooner hes a brute, just not to my gramma, he also had something to do w/ the death of my firefish goby, I was in a mini cycle but the blue damsel just chased the goby back to his cave if he even inched out.

pontius

I'm going to cycle with Live Rock and Sand. If anything else is needed, I may throw in a shrimp or something. but I don't plan on adding fish until the tank is ready to go. from most of what I've read, royal grammas and clownfish are just about as hardy as damsels, and good for cycling (if you use fish). if I did start with a damsel, it would probably be one of the yellow tailed ones, because I've read they are not as belligerent.

cindyski

I'm going to cycle with Live Rock and Sand. If anything else is needed, I may throw in a shrimp or something. but I don't plan on adding fish until the tank is ready to go. from most of what I've read, royal grammas and clownfish are just about as hardy as damsels, and good for cycling (if you use fish). if I did start with a damsel, it would probably be one of the yellow tailed ones, because I've read they are not as belligerent.

thats what i used, yellow tails, still turned out to be nasty

shrkbait

Originally posted by CindySki
thats what i used, yellow tails, still turned out to be nasty

My yellow tail turned out to be real nasty as well. Killed a clown. I put another damsel 3 times his size in there to let him pick on someone his own size. Well, he was kicking the big ones but in no time. The yellow tail is in the quarantine right now and they both are going back to the store sooner or later.

cindyski

Originally posted by shrkbait
they both are going back to the store sooner or later.

mine are in the same place

reef_magic

sorry bout that ciny...and is this the one u got for ur B-day?:nope:
i have had one and he was really cool, but he got ich..then was fine for a week and got it again. and there is never a live gramma at my *****. i've only seen 2 at *****, and both were dead

cindyski

Originally posted by Reef_Magic
sorry bout that ciny...and is this the one u got for ur B-day?:nope:

yes