Noisy overflow! How do you fix it?

bacia

I have a 58 gallon tank with a built in overflow. The overflow is ALWAYS gurgaling (sp?)!
The return pipe is a hard plastic mesh with a big sponge-type filter. I had the problem fixed by putting a valve on the end of the return hose and closing it a bit. This kept more water in the overflow and all was peaceful. My pump died and I put a QuietOne 3000 in. I had to take the valve off to keep enough water in the sump so the pump wouldn't suck air. How can I get rid of the noise without spending money on a smaller pump?

vezina345

I filled my overflows with bio balls so that the water wasn't falling as far. It cut down the noise to almost nothing.

vezina345

sorry , almost forgot my pipe in the overflow is perferated so that water does not have to just flow into it from the top but can drain into it at any level.

bacia

Originally Posted by JesseCNC
Durso Standpipe with a properly sized air hole in the top!
What is a Durso Standpipe? The "standpipe" part I know but I am unclear on the "Durso" part. :notsure: How do I know what size air hole to put in it? :notsure: And where would I get one? :notsure:

kzoo

It is a pipe that has a hooked top with a hole to let air in it will stop your noise. Google it you can make it your self or buy one.

cgrant

all-glass makes an overflow pipe kit you can buy if you dont want to make them yourself, I picked mine up for $30 ea. I didnt want to mess with it so I just spent the 60 bucks!
I have a 210 and my overflows are quiet.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Bacia
I have a 58 gallon tank with a built in overflow. The overflow is ALWAYS gurgaling (sp?)!
The return pipe is a hard plastic mesh with a big sponge-type filter. I had the problem fixed by putting a valve on the end of the return hose and closing it a bit. This kept more water in the overflow and all was peaceful. My pump died and I put a QuietOne 3000 in. I had to take the valve off to keep enough water in the sump so the pump wouldn't suck air. How can I get rid of the noise without spending money on a smaller pump?
You can take an hose and run it the length of the return pipe. I use 1/4" inside my 1" return. Did the trick
GG