Noisy Overflow (Sucking/Slurping noise)

jasony

how do i stop the overflow from making a noisy sucking/gurgling / sucking sound?
its terribly noisy and takes away from my whole house feel.
someone please help

jasony

Originally Posted by hot883
Do you have standpipes or an overflow box?
hello,
overflow box
im a noob.. im sorry

hot883

What I did was lengthen the tube going into the sump and making sure it was under the water level.

S

saltfreak4

I have a loud sucking sound coming from my overflow box. It's very loud the tube is far underwater but the water flowing from the side box (thingy) is sucking really loud. What else can fix this?

addicted2

I have an overflo box too..Mine made that sound and all I had to do was level it vertically along side of tank..they have to be level all ways..there are little screw outs (don't know what else to call them) on the box so you can add or subtract space between box and tank glass..does that make sense? It worked for me!

chilwil84

i still use the sponge sleeve and i put a bioball in it right on top of the pipe and it is silent you just have to position the ball in the right way and it gets quiet and wash out the sponge reugularly

wyvern

Originally Posted by Sltwtrfan
i've seen an elbow used inside the overflow box to cut down on that slurping sound.
Where do you put the elbow?

S

saltfreak4

You guys are always great, thank you. I will try all of this. Elbow is interesting, I was thinking about putting something in there. I have a PVC ball valve, and the thing is leaking, only when I throttle it back a bit. The pump and overflow box are well matched, if it's open all the way it doesn't overflow or anything, but it's doing all it can to keep up. The level inside and outside are the same, and I am affraid to sleep for fear it will catch up to itself and something bad will happen :scared:
LOL, so it leaks just a little bit. I am thinking of replacing it with one that is slip instead of screw.

renogaw

the elbow is probably a durso standpipe knockoff. do a google for them. i've tried making my own but cannot find the right material. he says you need 1-1/4 fittings on a 1" overflow pipe and i wasted some money and he's correct. my 1" fittings/pipe just do not work.

jcarroll

I had this problem too, and if you mess around with the positioning of the tube that goes from the overflow to your filter, you can find a place where it doesn't slurp.

P

phishface

I agree, if you tinker with the level screw, and slide the u tube a little side to side, you can find a spot....but you will always hear water falling. Good luck.

stingrayman

I had that problem as well, It was so loud I couldn`t hear the TV.
There is a plasic tube that slides in the drain to let
the air out. I think it was 6-8" long. I got a longer tube like 2 ft long and
experimented till I had hardly any noise and cut the tube off so I could put the lid back on. I also put bio balls in around the drain.Worked out well.
Hope this helps.

sammyw

Better yet, go to your local discount store and buy a $3 bag of batting (you know, the stuff that is inside a bedspread, [great filter material as well]) roll it up so it will fit tightly inside the standpipe. I rolled mine to about 4" long and stuffed it down the pipe. You must be careful that you don't let it get away from you. Fasten it to the top of the pipe somehow so it doesn't get sucked down into the sump. I can hardly hear my overflow now. works great. You must change the padding out regularly because they do collect a lot of debris!